Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your best medieval army?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>
Author
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your best medieval army?
    Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 06:46

Originally posted by BigL

One Question historians ask today is why even when most of the mongols enemys know very well of the Fake retreat do they still fall for it?

Maybe this analogy would help to answer this question.

Look at stockbrokers. They buy and sell stocks and shares. Sometimes stockbrokers win (and earn much money), sometimes they lose (and lose money). There are some rules for this activity. Stockbrokers certainly know these rules, but it doesn't mean that they always win. Why? Stockbrokers know ONLY rules of stock exchange, but they don't know the future - for example, they don't know if in some case some shares will gain or lose. So they have to risk. Sometimes it leads to bankruptcy.

Ok, and now we have a war in 13th c. There were commanders of European countries who knew rules of war. For example, they knew a tactic of simulated retreat. But during a battle a commander couldn't be certain if this 'retreat' of enemies was a real one or only a simulated one. What could a commander do? He could risk and chase retreating Mongols (in this case, if it was a real retreat, the commander of some European country was able to destroy Mongols totally, but if it was only simulated retreat, this commander lost his army) or he could not risk (in this case, he didn't destroy Mongols, who were still dengerous for his army and his country).

So, it is not enough to know the rules to win. One has to take risk to gain something. Sometimes that risk leads to catastrophy.

Edited by ataman
BigL View Drop Down
General
General

Quote BigL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 23:10

If im not correct the polish commander told his troops not to follow the mongol retreat but his troops broke dicipline and charged.?

ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2006 at 00:09
Originally posted by BigL

If im not correct the polish commander told his troops not to follow the mongol retreat but his troops broke dicipline and charged.?

No, it was not a lack of discipline of Polish army. Look at Dlugosz's description of this battle (English version here: http://www.impub.co.uk/dlug3.html). Although this source isn't too much credible (it was written about 200 years after the battle), it is the only one primary source which describes this battle in such detail.

BigL View Drop Down
General
General

Quote BigL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2006 at 01:16

Lets recap the sources available to us on the invasion of europe available please ,

There is Historica tartarum,Dlugosz account and secret history of the mongols,what other sources of informatation do we have please so we can research further.

ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2006 at 11:20

There are also:

- Rocznik cystersw henrykowskich

- Rocznik wrocawski wikszy

- Rocznik Kapituy Gnienieskiej

- Kronika Wielkopolska

- lski Rocznik Kompilowany (Annales Silesiaci Compilati)

- letter of king of Bohemia Waclaw I (April-May 1241)

BigL View Drop Down
General
General

Quote BigL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2006 at 21:42
Any links when i google these it comes up with Poilish links
BigL View Drop Down
General
General

Quote BigL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2006 at 01:46
Well because i cant Research these links myself i cant just beleive a new polish book as all sources and books ive read on mongols have claimed the mongols were outnumbered when fighting in Europe.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2006 at 09:35
my army

10,000 infantry banded mail, falchions, heavy sheilds,

5,000 heavy calvary, fullplate, longswords, sheilds,

8,000 archers composite bows, chain haleberd, longknifes

300 light cavalry, chain mail, longknifes

3,000 irish conscripts, leather, long knifes

5,000 polish slaves, studded leather, long knifes

milns View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote milns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2006 at 13:16
My tank regiment will destroy all your armys
Un beidzot liecas un sašķīst viss kristīgo bars -
Nav pārspējams šodien tiem zemgaļu niknums un kaujas spars!
Greek Hoplite View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Greek Hoplite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2006 at 15:20
My army

2000 heavy cavalary(1000 left,1000 right)
Role= to butcher enemy archers, enemy s light infantry and hunt them when when they ll run in panic, and ofcourse attack enemy s cavalary if is necessary

1000 light cavalary(500 left, 500 right)
Main role= to butcher enemy soldiers while running in panic and mainly to help heavy cavalary

200 officers cavalary( at the back, after infantry)
Consists of excellent trained knights that their main role is to protect the officers

2000 heavy spearmen( at the center)
role= to kill enemy s cavalary with theirs spears

3000 Hevy infantry(behind heavy spearmen)
role= equiped with metal shileds and heavy swords will have to fight in close combat with enemys infantry and they will have support by some spearmen if its necessary

1000 archers( behind heavy infantry)
main role= to hit with their arrows enemy while marching

1000 archers with long bows(behind others archers)
role= to hit enemy infantry while marching from greater distance than simple archers can do and in case of runing panicly enemy s army to kill as many they can.

My blog
http://mankap.blogspot.com/
ironaxe View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote ironaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2006 at 15:32
5000 Housecarls

2000 Norman Cavalry

3000 English/Welsh longbowmen

Tactics depend upon the troops fitness/terrain/weather conditions/enemy's reactions etc, but;

Archery barrages first, then cavalry flanking attacks followed by infantry advance- all soon after the others.
BigL View Drop Down
General
General

Quote BigL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2006 at 01:36

All you need is mongols there invincible

Scheich View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Scheich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2006 at 11:11
25000 Mangudai and behind the horde 200 tribocks
Mitze View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Mitze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2006 at 05:54
What a beautiful story you forgott a detail (the vlachs), in Gesta Hungarorum it writes that when Arpad arrived in Pannonia they encounterd 3 romanian states : Menumorut who ruled Crisana
                                                   Glad who ruled Banat
                                                   Gelu who ruled NV Trannsylavania
And one more little thing, the borders of the Hungarian Kingdom didnt reach the Charpathians until the time of the Mongol invasion

Pace! and greetings from Bihor country!
You will have to exceuse my poor english.   
Datuna View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Datuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 13:59

I imagine what I could have done  using a fistful of these warriors

Napoleon

That's why I prefer them.

Suevari View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Spammer

Quote Suevari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2006 at 08:53
10,000 geishas, but they're not European Cry

I'd choose 10,000 Hun horse archers but they're not medieval Cry

Ok then, 10,000 Vlad the impalers.
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2006 at 08:59
Originally posted by Mitze

What a beautiful story you forgott a detail (the vlachs), in Gesta Hungarorum it writes that when Arpad arrived in Pannonia they encounterd 3 romanian states : Menumorut who ruled Crisana
                                                   Glad who ruled Banat
                                                   Gelu who ruled NV Trannsylavania
And one more little thing, the borders of the Hungarian Kingdom didnt reach the Charpathians until the time of the Mongol invasion

Pace! and greetings from Bihor country!
You will have to exceuse my poor english.   
For the 3 Romanian states. According to Anomymus only Gelou was vlach. Menumorout and Gelu were Bulgarians.
subedai View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote subedai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2006 at 13:40
Where did you get your information from on the size of the Polish army? Everything I have read says that the Poles had somewhere between 15-20,000 troops.
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 03:03
I'm joining in a bit late on this thread and, since we're not allowed multiple posts, I'll refer to a few things at once.

I'm not sure if we can refer to Magyars and Hungarians being exactly the same thing. The kingdom of Hungary is thought to have started in 1000 AD with the coronation of the first king, Stephan I, by the pope. I've read somewhere that Lechfeld actually solidified the chances for a kingdom since most of the Magyar aristocracy perished there. In that sense, I challenge that we can say "the Hungarians raided Denmark". The Magyars did. I'm a stickler for protocoll, s'ppose.

How could Poland expand? In which direction? Eastwards is the steppe, never mind the Russians themselves. Do you think a Medieval Polish army would've fared better than Napoleon or Hitler? Not to mention that, the way things turned out, the farher east the got they closer they came to the oncoming MongolsOuch
On the West there are mountains blocking the southern route into Germany and then there's the Germans and their steel, of courseShocked
Poland's great historical mindf... is that she's always been sandwiched between the German and Russian juggernauts. Expand? It's all about hanging in there.

On my ideal 10000-strong medieval formation: Some heavy cavalry with a good portion of spear-armed infantry mixed with missile-armed troops; good number of both mounted and on-foot skirmishers. Think of your typical Crusader state army, ca. 1130 AD. The type and number of the  opponent, number/morale/leadership of own troops,  nature of terrain, and your  logistics would determine your strategy.
Of course there is great variation of the term "medieval"; the later  Swiss pikemen and Italian condotierri armies  certainly can be considered ideal as well.
During this period the early Fatimid, Seljuk, Macedonian Byzantine, Ayyubid, Mongol, Anglo-Norman and Italo-Norman armies all deserve mention.  

" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 06:44
without siege weapons cannons or any technologie. With no buildings

just a basic showdown

what can stop a steppe horde?

picture thousands of lttle arrows piercing the bodies every were the harder you ride walk they seem to be further away.

before you can use your sword lance your dead
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>