Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Former QB Jim Mcmahon in Bad Shape

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Former QB Jim Mcmahon in Bad Shape
    Posted: 28-Sep-2012 at 14:23
I just read a small article on former NFL players who are suffering from the effects of many concussions and hard hits.  There are some 2,000 ex NFL players who have a class action suit against the NFL, charging the league hid the dangers from them.

McMahon, who led the Chicago Bears to a superbowl win, is 53.  He retired 16 years ago, but now suffers from early onset Dementia, caused by repeated head injuries and hard hits.  I believe that former Cowboys QB, Roger Staubuck is also involved in the suit.
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2012 at 15:18
Man that sucks and continues to shame the NFL. Both great players. Both great Champions. Incidentally many don't remember that Jim has two rings. One for XX and one for XXI.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2012 at 15:51
Stauback had to quit because of "Traumatic Brain Disease", a fancy term for the effects of having your bell rung too many times.

Tis the same reason yours truly had to quit sports. I was fortunate in as much as the injuries I recvd. were immediately seen as serious enough to keep me out of sports for a long enough time to not have a cumlative problem like McMahon and other folks have.

And you all now have your Ah Haa!! So that's why he's the way he is, moment. Big smileBig smile

The problem is turning out to be more serious than previously thought and more sport pervasive than prev. thought.
A study being done now on pre college players, 100lbs thru High School, of several sports, soccer included, is showing that with or without helmets, even in limited contact sports, brain injuries still occur.  To make it worse, they are cumlative and can be so slight as to be unnoticed.

Any time your body is brought to a sudden stop, your brain floats, it is forced up against the cranial cav.  The stops or hits, don't have to be traumatic in nature, they accumulate because they aren't noticed at the time.
Certainly this affects Football, [American] more than most other sports, and also goes a long way to explain the behavior of Aussie Rules players.ClownBig smile

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2012 at 16:15
Originally posted by red clay

Staubach had to quit because of "Traumatic Brain Disease", a fancy term for the effects of having your bell rung too many times.

Tis the same reason yours truly had to quit sports. I was fortunate in as much as the injuries I received. were immediately seen as serious enough to keep me out of sports for a long enough time to not have a cumulative problem like McMahon and other folks have.

And you all now have your Ah Ha!! So that's why he's the way he is, moment. Big smileBig smile

The problem is turning out to be more serious than previously thought and more sport pervasive than prev. thought.
A study being done now on pre college players, 100lbs thru High School, of several sports, soccer included, is showing that with or without helmets, even in limited contact sports, brain injuries still occur.  To make it worse, they are cumulative and can be so slight as to be unnoticed.

Any time your body is brought to a sudden stop, your brain floats, it is forced up against the cranial cav.  The stops or hits, don't have to be traumatic in nature, they accumulate because they aren't noticed at the time.
Certainly this affects Football, [American] more than most other sports, and also goes a long way to explain the behavior of Aussie Rules players.ClownBig smile

Yup. Been there in HS football and then later in Army Intramural back in the early 70's. Why they eventually got rid of it. Then add Army intramural post level Rugby (which they still have) and I m right with ya on your ''So that's why he's the way he is, moment. Big smileBig smile''.

Now add to that too many years flying in helo's which also have a low level concussive effect, from the rotors and engine noise, even with a CVC. And years of firing tank guns in enclosed spaces or getting slammed into the cupola 5-600 times to include my head or firing Mortars or standing behind Howitzers firing...and ya got my excuse.

Personally I think what got me finally was rappelling out of a Blackhawk one night and miss timing my jump thru the door. Caught the right wheel as a result of partial rotor blow back and slammed into the bitch headfirst at around 120 feet. Knocked me fracking silly.

But I had a great belay man down there who saw me flopping like a fish and got me down.

I was concussed for three days....vision blurry...puking.....demon headaches and severely sprained neck and shoulder muscles for a month. Man that sucked.Ouch

All in all head injuries, as ya note, not only have a cumulative effect but can kill ya sooner...or later.

Why them snipers like head shots....oh wait.. different cause and effect.LOL

S. T. Friedman

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2012 at 20:36
I was concussed for three days....vision blurry...puking.....demon headaches and severely sprained neck and shoulder muscles for a month. Man that sucked.Ouch

Similar results from taking a line drive on the pumpkin, 60 ft from the plate.Unhappy 
BoPoMoFo View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote BoPoMoFo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2012 at 11:12
It's really a shame.  I love American football, but I think this should be stopped because people's lives are at stake.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2012 at 13:23
Okay, then you will also have to stop, Hockey, Nascar and any sport that has the potential for sudden stops, contact or no contact.

The awareness is there now.  Previously it wasn't considered "serious".  You have to realize the culture has changed a great deal in the last 20 years.  In the past, if a player took a hard hit, the only exam was usually, "How many fingers am I holding up", and even if his answer was tuesday, he was sent back in.
I saw a College game back in the 90's where the running backs had to point the QB in the right direction, and help him line up behind center.  He still remained in the game for 2 more plays.  When I actively played, the term "concussion" was rarely used, too serious sounding, having your "Bell rung" was how it was described.

Some years back I had the honor of working with a man who can truly be described as a "sports Legend".  John DeLaurentis was a Coaching legend in Pa. and NJ.
John also played Linebacker for the Redskins, 1950-1954.  He played the game without a Facemask, and some teams still used Leather Helmets.  He blamed the increase in head injuries directly on the advent of Plastic shell helmets.  The football helmet was orginally designed to protect you from "incidental contact".  No one in their right mind would have deliberately gone helmet to helmet wearing a leather helmet.  With the evolution of hardshell helmets, players began using them as a 'weapon" of sorts.

You can't stop the game, but you can change the culture that supports dangerous play.  Currently they only penelize the player for "spearing" or Helmet to Helmet hits.  When the refs start ejecting those players and penelize the coaches, you'll see a radical change.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
BoPoMoFo View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote BoPoMoFo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2012 at 03:14
I think if we build our entertainment on putting people's lives at risk, how are we different from the spectators at the Colliseum?
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2012 at 09:08
Your taking it a little too far. 
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2012 at 13:43
Yup.
This is voluntary business with a profit motive for all concerned based on cultural developments of the 20th ce. Not forced. Nor using slaves, defeated war opponents, criminals or supposed deviant miscreants by the Romans for more then one reason. To include a part of the criminal enforcement system....not to mention entertainment. Tho profit was made even in the 1st ce.

The primary difference is while accidents might occur....usual mandatory death sentences are not part of the current program in the NFL.

S. T. Friedman

Post Reply Post Reply