Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hinduism emerged from Buddhism ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Bharata View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bharata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hinduism emerged from Buddhism ?
    Posted: 22-Dec-2012 at 03:21
My intrest is mainly in south asias history before the 800AD as we dont have much records of those times and many could actually be distorted.
religion,empires and inentions of sounth asia in those times 
The debate about who was sandracottus has caught my intrest recently.
Venkytalks View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Venkytalks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2013 at 10:37
Originally posted by oxydracae

Here by Hinduism I strictly mean Shaivism and Vaishnavism...

Shaivism: a sect that emphasise the worship of god Shiva. It looks like a syncretism of worship of Vedic god Indra and ideology of Vajrayana sect of Buddhism.

Vaishnavism: a sect that emphasise the worship of god Vishnu. It looks like syncretism of worship of Vedic god Surya (Sun god) and ideology of Mahayana sect of Buddhism.
Buddhism and Jainism emerged from the Vedic religion which was practiced by a ruling class in nomadic times and in the beginning of Pataliputra the first city of the gangetic plain. These two new religions almost destroyed the Vedic religion.

What we do not know is how much of the original indus religion and other local tribal beliefs survived in other Indian communities between 1800 to 600 BC and how early temple worship I.e. temples made of impermanent materials existed in India.

What we call Hinduism today is prayer to local Indian Gods using a foreign Sanscrit language and hymns written for entirely different I.e. Vedic Gods. no Hindu prays to any Vedic God except the later Vedic God Vishnu who was originally the body of the sacrifice.

Except for  vegetarianism and non violence adopted in response to Budhism and Jainism (originally Vedic religion demanded animal sacrifice) here is nothing derived from Budhism in Hinduism

although many Vedic practices of Yagnya are still done almost entirely in the Vedic way with very few non Vedic interpolations like Vigneswara dhyanam or achamanam
Venky
oxydracae View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oxydracae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2013 at 11:24
Originally posted by Venkytalks

Originally posted by oxydracae

Here by Hinduism I strictly mean Shaivism and Vaishnavism...

Shaivism: a sect that emphasise the worship of god Shiva. It looks like a syncretism of worship of Vedic god Indra and ideology of Vajrayana sect of Buddhism.

Vaishnavism: a sect that emphasise the worship of god Vishnu. It looks like syncretism of worship of Vedic god Surya (Sun god) and ideology of Mahayana sect of Buddhism.
Buddhism and Jainism emerged from the Vedic religion which was practiced by a ruling class in nomadic times and in the beginning of Pataliputra the first city of the gangetic plain. These two new religions almost destroyed the Vedic religion.

little correction:
Both Buddhism and Jainism emerged from Shraman tradition, which is as old as Vedic tradition.

What we do not know is how much of the original indus religion and other local tribal beliefs survived in other Indian communities between 1800 to 600 BC and how early temple worship I.e. temples made of impermanent materials existed in India.

What we call Hinduism today is prayer to local Indian Gods using a foreign Sanscrit language and hymns written for entirely different I.e. Vedic Gods. no Hindu prays to any Vedic God except the later Vedic God Vishnu who was originally the body of the sacrifice.

Except for  vegetarianism and non violence adopted in response to Budhism and Jainism (originally Vedic religion demanded animal sacrifice) here is nothing derived from Budhism in Hinduism

although many Vedic practices of Yagnya are still done almost entirely in the Vedic way with very few non Vedic interpolations like Vigneswara dhyanam or achamanam
Can we say Classical Hinduism was the amalgation of Vedic, Shramana and local animist believes ?
Venkytalks View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Venkytalks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2013 at 10:10
I personally believe that during Gupta empire a political amalgamation of Brahminism and Satavahana time temple worship was created just as the ecumenical council created Catholicism.

This coincided with enlargement of epics and puranas is a state sponsored systematic fashion because the enemies of the Guptas were Kushans Shakas and Parthians who were all Budhist. 

The epics and puranas with some exceptions how good evidence of purposeful enlargement than evolution. And this took place before Shhankara who further helped in the development of modern hinduism.

Shramana tradition is more related to Hindu philosophy than religion. Upanishadic philosophy itself might have evolved due to contact with prevedic Indian traditions of Samkhya Yoga and austerities. These might date back to Indus valley. The tradition really affected monks more than common people. The Karma marga of Bhagavad gita is probably the main contributuon to Hindu religion. Few Indians follow Shramana tradition. 

Mimamsa and temple worship are the main methods of worship for Hindus just as going to Church or Mosque and personal prayers are the main forms of worship for common people.

Edited by Venkytalks - 04-Mar-2013 at 10:24
Venky
oxydracae View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oxydracae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2013 at 08:21

This coincided with enlargement of epics and puranas is a state sponsored systematic fashion because the enemies of the Guptas were Kushans Shakas and Parthians who were all Budhist. 

Very thoughtful post Clap
This is very much possible that in response to the Mahayana Buddhism of Kushanas many Indian Kingdoms especially Arjunayanas and Guptas replied with Mahabharata and Puranas.
aptil View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote aptil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2014 at 10:43
buddha was born in a hindu royal family in modern day bihar .  
Ticker View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Ticker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2014 at 21:55
The Buddhists claim that their religion evolved before Vedism and Hinduism. Buddhist scholars identify some of the archaeological evidence found at Indus Valley Civilisation sites, is also of particular religious significance to Buddhism. This includes the symbols like the Bodhi tree (Pipal Tree) and animals such as the elephant and deer. Perhaps most important being the discovery of several images of figures sitting in cross-legged postures with their hands resting on their knees, with their eyes narrowed, half-closed, in postures of meditation as practiced by Buddha. 

The Buddhist scholars also state that The Buddha Himself indicated about the Indus Valley origins of His tradition when He said that the path which He taught was an ancient path and the goal to which He pointed to was an ancient goal. The Buddhists belief in six Buddhas prior to the Buddha Shakyamuni within this aeon, they state is indicative of this fact. The Buddhist scholars state that all these point to a continuity between the tradition of the Indus Valley Civilization and the teachings of the Buddha. 

Edited by Ticker - 30-Dec-2014 at 21:56
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2015 at 16:52
Human religion tend to use old symbols to present new ideas - this is well documented in the history of Christianity. So, finding of symbols at any given time doesn't necessarily mean that those symbols were used for later meanings. For example, the cross is well documented in Egypt from the time of the Old Kingdom, but we cannot use that to claim that Christianity exists since say 3000 BC.

In any case, all founders of religions state that their teachings are ancient, this doesn't mean that they are per se so. Buddhism started with Buddha, actually after him, as Buddha himself created a teaching, a philosophy, not a religion. I would assume that the religionizing, so to speak, of his philosophy started with his students, at the earliest.
Andrew Roosevelt View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Andrew Roosevelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2015 at 03:26
Originally posted by Nick1986

I thought the opposite was the case: Buddhism was derived from Hindu teachings of reincarnation and nonviolence

100% Agreeable, in reality the religion of Hinduism can is far too old when compared to Buddhism, Christianity or Islam. Its true that Buddhism and Hinduism have some similarity, but saying Hindusim emerged from Buddhism is like a "Child saying my father looks like me", the truth is the "Child Looks like his father".
I am not a Business Acumen expert, I just share what little I know.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12