Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hinduism emerged from Buddhism ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
oxydracae View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote oxydracae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hinduism emerged from Buddhism ?
    Posted: 17-Sep-2012 at 04:02
Here by Hinduism I strictly mean Shaivism and Vaishnavism...

Shaivism: a sect that emphasise the worship of god Shiva. It looks like a syncretism of worship of Vedic god Indra and ideology of Vajrayana sect of Buddhism.

Vaishnavism: a sect that emphasise the worship of god Vishnu. It looks like syncretism of worship of Vedic god Surya (Sun god) and ideology of Mahayana sect of Buddhism.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2012 at 19:31
I thought the opposite was the case: Buddhism was derived from Hindu teachings of reincarnation and nonviolence
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
oxydracae View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oxydracae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2012 at 04:03
Brother, both reincarnation and non-violence were Buddhist concepts.. or more precisely we can say Shramana concepts..

Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2012 at 13:20
I thought that Hindusim started from the time of the Harrapan civilization, long before Gautama Budda. Bt. it's possible some Hinduist sects to ave been formed under the inlfuence of Buddism, after all Hindusim is not a whole block of ideas, it has it's streams and branches too, tnat formed in one time or another under different infuences.

Edited by Don Quixote - 20-Sep-2012 at 13:22
oxydracae View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oxydracae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2012 at 13:19
I am not sure if we can consider Harappan Religion as Hinduism, if that is the case then we have to consider Pre-Christian Pagan Faiths of Europe as Hinduism also.

lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2012 at 13:58
The historical Buddha was a Hindu. That seems to make it self-explanatory. Buddhism was an off-shoot of Hinduism must as Christianity is an off-shoot of Judaism. Modern Hindism is proof that even when once religion supplants another, as Buddhism did Hinduism during the reign of Ashoka, the previous religion can make a come-back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashoka
Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2012 at 20:44
Buddhists aren't neccessarily atheists. Many believe you can be reborn as a god, although these too will eventually die
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2012 at 14:42
Nick, no Buddhist is an atheist. Buddhism does not define God, meaning the Supreme Being. Mahayana Buddhism does include Pure Land Buddhists, who believe that they will be reborn into the Pure Land of the West, where they will have a higher existence that will bring them closer to Nirvana. Suffice it to say that this higher state of being does not make them "Gods" in the Judeo-Christian meaning of that term. 

Any practicing Buddhist, and by this I really mean the clergy or others who practice Buddhist meditation, are by definition acknowledging the existence of a higher power, one they do not assume the arrogance of defining. The act of 'sitting' is in itself an expression of religious belief. Ergo, they accept the tenets of a religion, not a philosophy. 

As for the Jack Kerouac hippies, they were not Buddhists. Neither is anyone who practices the meditation sciences, which existed in India before Buddhism, for the purposes of worldly self-improvement. (i.e., better health, sharper mind, stop smoking, etc, etc)  That difference lies in the minds of the practitioners and not in a manual.  

Edited by lirelou - 22-Sep-2012 at 14:42
Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2012 at 21:23
I've heard about Pure Land Buddhism. Its description sounds very similar to Christianity: an afterlife where enlightenment can be gained, a Christ-like leader worshipped as a god, a higher power capable of intervening, Nembutsu prayers similar to the Catholic rosary, and great emphasis on the power of faith
http://questionsinthesand.blogspot.co.uk/2005/10/christian-pureland-parallels.html
oxydracae View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oxydracae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2012 at 04:48
Jesus was Jew, I think that is clear from the first line of New Testament. However, 'Buddha was Hindu' that is very vague statement as major Hindu holy-books Ramayana, Mahabharata and Gita are written many centuries after the death of Buddha. So, it is like claiming that 'Jesus was Muslim'.

Originally posted by lirelou

Modern Hinduism is proof that even when once religion supplants another, as Buddhism did Hinduism during the reign of Ashoka, the previous religion can make a come-back.

That is my point, Hinduism is not a come-back of previous Vedic Religion. We don't see the revival of Vedic deities like Indra, Agni, Ashvins, Varuna and Maruts. Rather, in Hinduism most revered deities are Shiva, Rama, Krishna and Devi.

Edited by oxydracae - 23-Sep-2012 at 04:49
Azat View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Azat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2012 at 13:28
Hinduism is not a religion in strict sense.Also vedic religion was not native to this soil so Indra etc were never taken as supreme God in India,If  I am not wrong even Lord Vishnu is a late enterant in old Indian religious belief system.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2012 at 19:23
I thought Hinduism was the worship of a pantheon of gods including Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva, Ganesh, and Kali
heyamigos View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote heyamigos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2012 at 06:17
Buddha originated from Nepal and his exact origin, Aryan or Sino-Tibetan is not known.  But, his doing away with caste system gives a good hint.  In India, the caste system was said to be keep the status quo of the descendants of Aryan invaders over the local Dravidian natives.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2012 at 09:33
Originally posted by heyamigos

Buddha originated from Nepal and his exact origin, Aryan or Sino-Tibetan is not known.  But, his doing away with caste system gives a good hint.  In India, the caste system was said to be keep the status quo of the descendants of Aryan invaders over the local Dravidian natives.

Does that mean he was an Aryan rebelling against his ancestral traditions, or a Tibetan who rejected such practises as alien?
Bharata View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Bharata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2012 at 15:26
Possibly vedic religion took  changes after entrance of buddism,vaisnnavism and shaivism.I am not sure as to which entered first could be possible each religion entered from various parts of india.
Smile

Edited by Bharata - 19-Dec-2012 at 15:26
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2012 at 15:40
It looks more complicated Bharata.All religions came from one:Earth we share today was our Goddess.Smile
Welcome in forum!
Bharata View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Bharata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2012 at 15:43
Thank you.I was only saying how different vedic religion is from todays hindusim which is mixture of many ancient religions
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2012 at 04:03
Originally posted by Bharata

Thank you.I was only saying how different vedic religion is from today's hinduism which is mixture of many ancient religions

Astute.

And I also welcome you to the forum and look forward to more of your thoughts on the Vedic and other areas.

CV

Hq's in the Field
Apache NF
Vic: Clifton, AZ.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 20-Dec-2012 at 04:04
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Bharata View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Bharata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2012 at 05:03
Thank you. my intrest is mainly in south asians history before the 800AD as we dont have much records of those times and many could actually be distorted. 
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2012 at 14:01
You're welcome. Tell me Bharata, what aspects of southeastern Asia interest you most?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>