Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The "wicked and evil " Turks-1453

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The "wicked and evil " Turks-1453
    Posted: 04-May-2005 at 13:23
Good morning to all you evil and wicked Turks- 10:21 am Pacific standard time

Here is a quote from one of those evil and wicked Latins-

On the fith of May, the wicked and evil Turks went and place a great cannon on the top of the hill above Pera, and with these cannons they began to fire over Pera at our fleet, which lay by the boom.

I suppose it is all perspective on who is the wicked and evil one.

Constantinople the last bastion to an Islamic invasion but the western Europeans were too busy fighting each other to unite against this threat.

"Diary of the Seige of Constantinople" by Nicolo Barbaro
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2005 at 13:39

the western Europeans were too busy fighting each other to unite against this threat

Well this weren't the main occupation only to western european countries. We had practised it much longer than them. At the beginning turks was used from all balkan nation as allies, but they just "plough up" all areas without care on which side they are....And in this way step by step they become stronger and.....conquered the whole district!

Everybody listen only this which understands.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2005 at 20:31
Originally posted by eaglecap

On the fith of May, the wicked and evil Turks went and place a great cannon on the top of the hill above Pera, and with these cannons they began to fire over Pera at our fleet, which lay by the boom.

A typical Venetian, this Nicolo Barbaro(sic!), not concerned about the city and people of Constantinople, who were the main target of the Turks, but about the couple of Venetian merchant vessels who got up in the siege. More worried about the loss of profit than the fate of the city.
Venice was more responsible for the demise of the Byzantine Empire than any other nation, if you want to call a gang of cut throat hawkers a "nation".
Great place, Venice, but a very dodgy past!

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Alparslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 06:28

There are a few days to walk on the streets........ We will wait until 29th of May.   I can here the songs that our soldiers sing and mehter band playing continuosly....... Go on. 

Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 12:32

Venice was more responsible for the demise of the Byzantine Empire than any other nation, if you want to call a gang of cut throat hawkers a "nation".
Great place, Venice, but a very dodgy past!

Don't worry comrade, we will see them drown. Istanbul has 60 names and it has survived 60 disasters, both natural and man-made. As long as mankind builds cities, and the straits remain open (no ice age) it will be there.

Venice, on the other hand, is sinking fast. It is also being destroyed by pigeon droppings. A really fragile city, Venice is. Some decades later it will be nothing but a collection of submerged ruins. Scuba-diving tourists from Istanbul will be visiting it...

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 14:07
Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

Don't worry comrade, we will see them drown. Istanbulhas 60 names and it has survived 60 disasters, both natural and man-made.As long as mankind builds cities, and the straitsremain open (no ice age)it will be there.

Yaeh, heard that on BBC today,when they were talking about the upcoming CL Final: "That place is so good, they named it three times!"

Venice, on the other hand,is sinking fast. It is also being destroyed by pigeon droppings.

Serves them bloody well right, 1204 and all that! Good riddance!

[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2005 at 10:36

I suppose it is all perspective on who is the wicked and evil one.

Constantinople the last bastion to an Islamic invasion but the western Europeans were too busy fighting each other to unite against this threat.

"Diary of the Seige of Constantinople" by Nicolo Barbaro

ever heard of the book THE OTTOMANS by Andrew Weathcroft?The best point of view ever

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2005 at 02:51
Originally posted by Komnenos

....Great place, Venice, but a very dodgy past!

Great play on words there (cf Doge)!

But agreed, I'd classify Venetian architecture as "Early ransack!"

It's a shame that this Christian atrocity is not more well known and how it's greed shaped forever the future of the Mediteranean world
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2005 at 03:05
the western Europeans were too busy fighting each other to unite against this threat

At least one of them, a Scotsmen, was helping the Turks fire their cannons.
What expertise he offered i don't know, how to light matches in the rain or something like that probably.
Arrrgh!!"
Gazi View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Gazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2005 at 13:51
Who is that Scotsman helping us, evil subhumans?
Freedom is the recognition of necessity.-Friedrich Engels
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2005 at 14:14

Originally posted by Cywr

At least one of them, a Scotsmen, was helping the Turks fire their cannons.
What expertise he offered i don't know, how to light matches in the rain or something like that probably.

I believe he was Hungarian named Hurbanus (sp?). He first offered his services to the Byzantine emperor but when he didn't get the money he was asking, he moved to the Sultan's camp. He's the one who minted the great cannons that destroyed Constantinople's walls.

PS

Irrelevant: I'm listening to the Faithless at the moment, "I want more" is a trully great song... next week comes Thievery Corporation and then the Chemical brothers concert (and I got tickets for both . It's going to be a great summer

Edited by Yiannis
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2005 at 01:47
Originally posted by Yiannis

I believe he was Hungarian named Hurbanus (sp?).....

IIRC, I've seen his name spelt simply as "Urban" in more than one sourse.....however, it could have been an anglicized version.

I've also read how he offered his services to Constantine first, but realistically, what could he have offered that would have been of any help, other than keeping him away from the Turks?

I'm guessing that they may have tried to position his cannon behind the city walls, and fired at the Turk's positions....
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2005 at 04:24
Urban was the guy who gave them the cannons, but there was a Scotsman in the Sultan's army helping to fire them.
Arrrgh!!"
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2005 at 04:43

God bless the austrians for saving us.

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2005 at 06:15
A typical Venetian, this Nicolo Barbaro(sic!), not concerned about the city and people of Constantinople, who were the main target of the Turks, but about the couple of Venetian merchant vessels who got up in the siege. More worried about the loss of profit than the fate of the city.

So what if the Venetians and others (esp. the Normans) plundered Constantinople. They were certainly not the only ones going around plundering; the Byzantines themselves were hardly excluded from that club.
They were merely being opportunists picking on a crumbling empire. Had the EastRomans kept their state ship-shape it wouldn't have happened. Always blame someone else, eh?
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2005 at 06:17

Originally posted by Cywr

Urban was the guy who gave them the cannons, but there was a Scotsman in the Sultan's army helping to fire them.

didn't urban die because of a misfire?

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2005 at 07:09
Hmm, don't know, but Urban designed and built a special siege cannon, called the Basilic (sp?) IIRC, the cannon eventualy broke towards the end of the siege, wether it was a misfire that also killed him i don't know.
But the Turks did have other cannons too, and other people to fire them and oversee their use, and there was Scotsman in there somewhere i'm, pretty sure
Arrrgh!!"
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2005 at 07:59
I read of a Scotsman who apparently was on the Byzantine side. Grant was his name and traditionally he was considered a German though more recent scholarship (D. Nicol) claims it was more likely he was a Scot. From my memory of Nicol's book which last read 5 years ago he did a great service to the Christian side by helping foil the Ottoman attempts at mining the walls. Dunno if thats your bloke but hope this helps.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2005 at 08:59
Hmm, coming to think of it, i think it was mining and not cannons. So i guess he was on the Byzy-Roman side then.
My bad.
Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2005 at 11:11

Mehmed II Khan had "ah" cannons to destroy the walls of Istanbul. Those were invented for him by a Hungarian, Ibrahim Mteferrika as I know...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>