Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The "wicked and evil " Turks-1453

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
RomiosArktos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote RomiosArktos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The "wicked and evil " Turks-1453
    Posted: 11-May-2006 at 14:29
Originally posted by violentjack

Actually it was treason in christian ranks that brought fall of Konstantinople.First to fall was Pera and Mletan quarters,and then Phanar district that surendered without shot being fired even before first Ottoman soldiers were to enter town on May 29 1453

It is not true that the city fell because of treason.The city fell because of  many factors:
The defenders were outnumbered
The turks managed to blockade the port with their fleet and managed to get their ships in to the Golden Horn.So the city was surrounded from all sides
The turks had artillery and were doing great damage to the walls,so the few defenders had also the task to repair the walls every night.
Pope and Venice decided too late to send reeinforcements which of course never arrived

The Kerkoporta postern was not opened by any traitors.This small gate was used by the defenders in order to make flanking sorties against the turks.what happened at 29th May was that the flanking units under Brocchiardi brothers didn't manage to close the gate and the jannisaries passed through the open kerkoporta and took control of the walls over the gate of St.Romanus.When they had done this,the defense of the city was destined to break.At the same time there was an assault from the walls that looked to the sea.Emperor
Constantine XI must have fallen fighting at the gate of St.Romanus

Edited by RomiosArktos
violentjack View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote violentjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 15:21
Maybe you should read a book or two
I didnt say city fell because of treason,but some quarters surendered without a fight
Maybe if you have read some more books,would know this

Bosnjaci,probudite se ili nestanite
RomiosArktos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote RomiosArktos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 15:25
Ok,you are right.It is true that some quarters surrendered without fighting but could they have done anything else? Since the Turks had got themselves into the city then the defense must have been pointless.
Earl
Earl

Quote violentjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 16:19
True but even without Konstantinple would fall,after 4 crusades it never recovered.And there were many sieges that went bad for Ottomans before 1532.There was 1422 siege by Murad not much success there,and even Rhumi tried to take the town in early stages of Islamic history,sadly he died near gates of Konstantinople then

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 17:57
Once the walls fell there was very little point in fighting any further. You may be able to hold your own when outnumbered nearly 20 to 1 on the walls of Constantinople, but in the open streets of the city you don't stand a chance. Once the walls fell, the most sensible thing for the citizens and soldiers to do was either to escape by sea or seek refuge in churches and hope for the best.
Earl
Earl

Quote violentjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 18:10
Meant to say 1422
f**k didnt see and those numbers
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2006 at 18:53
Wasnt there a Spaniard mercenary at 1453 also fighting along side the Byzantine Emperor? I think I read about him as well
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2006 at 02:03
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

Wasnt there a Spaniard mercenary at 1453 also fighting along side the Byzantine Emperor? I think I read about him as well

Indeed, Runciman mentions ( "The Fall of Constantinople") a company of Catalan soldiers under the command of Pere Julia, who were in charge of the defence on the shore near the Hippodrome.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234