Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Marijuana, and its constantly debated legality.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
d' artagnan View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Spawn of P,C,MA

Online Status: Offline
  Quote d' artagnan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marijuana, and its constantly debated legality.
    Posted: 09-Sep-2012 at 22:48
We all have opinions on whether or not weed should be legal. Some of us having had first hand experience with the drug and others taking what they know from second hand accounts.

So lets have it should it be legal and if so what should be the rules and regulations related to it.
Hunter Johns

"We're surrounded? Good, now we can kill the bastards in any direction."
— Col. Chesty Puller | Korean War
MadMan View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote MadMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2012 at 22:58
I think it should go ahead and be legalized. The main point I bring up for this is that millions, if not billions of dollars is being wasted on enforcement of a "drug" that is most definitely less dangerous than what is has been portrayed to be by the media. (I personally classify it as an herb.)

One good point I want to point out is alcohol. It causes ten times the bodily damage, and yet for some reason it is legal, not to mention glorified. It's absolutely ridiculous.

My third and last point for the moment will be psychological effects. In essence, how many angry alcoholics have you ever seen? How many stories have you heard of a man getting drunk and beating his spouse/children/anonymous bystander? I have personally seen and experienced a fair share of drunk people being violent over something they never would have raised at an eyebrow at sober.

Now, think, how many angry potheads have you ever seen while high? That would be none. The only scuffle I've ever seen between stoners was over the last cookie, and they always get distracted before it gets to the point of blows.
Baron
Baron
Spawn of P,C,MA

Quote d' artagnan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2012 at 23:16
LOL.

Alright now that I've stopped laughing I will retort.

I agree that it is idiocy for it to be illegal. Not only because of the amount of money that is being wasted on the enforcement of the current policies. As well as the amount of money that they are missing out on from the fact that they aren't currently capable of taxing it.

That leaves the question of what rules and regulations on it if(or should I say when) it's legalized?
Hunter Johns

MadMan View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote MadMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2012 at 23:18
Rules? Regulations? Are you suggesting carrying laws, or amount laws? Something like no more than 5 grams a person or something like that?

Or maybe something similar to certain ares of the U.S.'s alcohol laws, e.g. no sales after midnight or on Sundays?
Baron
Baron
Spawn of P,C,MA

Quote d' artagnan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2012 at 23:28
A bit of both.

Limit the amount that people can have at any given time so as to lower the amount of damage that they can do to their own person.
Hunter Johns

Baron
Baron
Spawn of P,C,MA

Quote d' artagnan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2012 at 23:29
Is the main one.
Hunter Johns

MadMan View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote MadMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2012 at 23:38
I don't really want to agree. There isn't any regulations on how much alcohol one person is allowed to buy or have if over 21, even though in large quantities it can actually kill. Marijuana cannot kill, at worst you'll take a massive inhale, run out of oxygen, pass out, and then breathe it all out and be fine.
Baron
Baron
Spawn of P,C,MA

Quote d' artagnan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2012 at 00:01
My point isn't to compare it to alcohol because I don't think that the two are truly comparable. Because as you said many people would consider weed to be more of a herb then anything else. I also think of this as a opportunity to so this correctly and keep this from deteriorating into something that has became as dangerous and overly used as alcohol.
Hunter Johns

MadMan View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote MadMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2012 at 00:06
Maybe they are so different as to be incomparable. 

And are you meaning deteriorating as in reputation, or in abuse?
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2012 at 00:13
One approach:If we Legalize it,prise&mafia will fall down or will be owners of Amsterdam tea shops!Second one:There will be not other grass than Marijuana on lawns which is equal with environmental catastrophe!
I am No smoke man anyway!
Baron
Baron
Spawn of P,C,MA

Quote d' artagnan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2012 at 00:28
Fair enough point, but I think the main point is that it would cut back on crime.
Hunter Johns

MadMan View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote MadMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2012 at 00:31
Definitely agreed. If weed was legal, there would be no need for the illegal growers, couriers, sellers, and all the other off-the-books jobs that are about these days.
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2012 at 02:41
But if it's legel probably more kids would use it than now,because then it would have no deterrent.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2012 at 08:27
"It is everyman's civic duty to plant at least 20 acres of Hemp".  Geo. Washington. 

Marijuana/Hemp, was outlawed in 1937.  It was, to say the least, a "put up job".  The hokey film, "Reefer Madness", was released just before the push to outlaw it. The reasons for making it illegal have nothing to do with concern over the public health.

In the 18th early 19th cents. Hemp fibers were the main source of cloth.  The uniforms for the Continental Army were hemp.  Our first Flags were...Hemp.  Up until 1937 all rope was made of...hemp.
Hemp could produce fabrics that were of much finer quality than other fibers, and cheaper than any imported fibers.  It was clear to someone like I. E. Dupont, that if he was going to produce something like Nylon and Rayon, he'd have to see that the competition was taken care of.  War was on the minds of many at that time.  No source on this but it's been said that a deal was struck with Dupont, to insure that his work would go on.  He would have his Synthetics in full production by 1938-9 and Hemp/Marijuana would be outlawed.

Never mind that most forms of Hemp have little or no Pshycotropic qualities.  In other words, you couldn't get stoned,if you tried.  You'd probably get smoke inhalation poisoning before you got a buzz.Big smile 
During WWI the farmers here in Jersey were paid to grow Hemp for rope.  Wall Rope was the largest producer, with it's HQ here.  The Government, paid the farmers and supplied the seed.  For years after, the Hemp grew wild.  When I was a kid, one of my jobs was to mow the fringes of the pastures with an orchard bar.  The Hemp grew everywhere, but it was dangerous for cows as they couldn't break up the fibers and it would clog their intestines.  We called it Loco Weed.   Did I try smoking it?  Yes, that's how I know for certain it had no special effects.

Edited by red clay - 10-Sep-2012 at 08:54
Delenda est Roma View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2012 at 09:32
If its legal LESS people will use. Its popularity is because its illegal.
Baron
Baron
Spawn of P,C,MA

Quote d' artagnan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2012 at 11:56
Exactly. Teenagers hear that its illegal and they start smoking just to do something illegal that they are pretty sure they can get away with.
Hunter Johns

MadMan View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote MadMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2012 at 11:56
I did not know that, red clay. That was very informative, thank you.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2012 at 14:56
Originally posted by Delenda est Roma

Like the book, "50 shades of gray".  It wasn't until Georgia, Florida and several other states banned it, that sales took off.  Sales tripled in 3 weeks.Big smile 

Making it legal would also allow open hybridization and experimentation for medical purposes.  Another benefit would be it would eliminate the need for "imports"Wink.  Profits from it would stay here.

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2012 at 15:04
Originally posted by Don Quixote

But if it's legel probably more kids would use it than now,because then it would have no deterrent.

I don't think so.  Also, right now it's a black market type item.  There isn't any control over who sells it, or who they sell it to.

With legalization,  an age limit could be placed on it.  There could also be restrictions on where it's sold and who can sell it.  Right now, you've got bupkis.

Another hole in your argument.  In some southern states the stuff grows wild, every kid knows where patches are.  AFAIK, there isn't anymore use there than elsewhere.

Delenda est Roma View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2012 at 16:13
Originally posted by red clay

Originally posted by Delenda est Roma

Like the book, "50 shades of gray".  It wasn't until Georgia, Florida and several other states banned it, that sales took off.  Sales tripled in 3 weeks.Big smile 

Making it legal would also allow open hybridization and experimentation for medical purposes.  Another benefit would be it would eliminate the need for "imports"Wink.  Profits from it would stay here.

Very true. Its very illegality makes it more popular. The fact it is easily obtainable almost anywhere makes it even worse.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>