Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ancient Timbuktu is Being Destroyed by Islamists

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ancient Timbuktu is Being Destroyed by Islamists
    Posted: 07-Sep-2012 at 14:03
Ancient Timbuktu  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timbuktu#History  ,  one of the most important medieval African cities and the treasure of the medieval African Islamci cultre, is being attacked by a militnt red-Tuareg militia with Tlibn-style interprettion of Islm. They destroyed tombs etc, seeing them as idolatrous. Which sound strange to me since Timbuktu is one of the holy Siffi sites.

"...A UNESCO World Heritage site, Timbuktu has for centuries been associated with Sufis, a mystical and spiritual fraternity, themselves closely connected with Islam. More than 200 Sufi saints are buried in free-standing mausoleums and within the compounds of mosques, tombs that have become the latest target of the Defenders of the Faith.

Regarding them as idolatrous, the Islamist militia has taken hammers and shovels to their baked-mud adobe walls. They even destroyed a pair of ancient tombs set in the compound of the city’s celebrated Djingareyber mosque.

For all intents and purposes Timbuktu has been sealed off from the outside world just as it was through history. No foreign journalists are permitted anywhere near the city, and all Western aid workers have long since been evacuated.

Speaking from Bamako, one newly arrived refugee there, named Lassana, recounted his last afternoon before fleeing with his family: “A pickup truck arrived at a mausoleum near my home,” he said. “In the back were five or six young men with guns. They were laughing and jeering, waving their weapons in the air. I told my wife and children to stay inside and to make no noise. Then I went out and watched as they broke down the shrine, whooping as they did so....

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/09/02/trouble-in-timbuktu-as-an-extremist-militia-takes-control.html

Edited by Don Quixote - 07-Sep-2012 at 14:04
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2012 at 17:21
Very big shame but you shouldn't find this strange coming from Taliban-style Islamists. These people see Sufism as idolatry and the Sufi practices performed in the tombs are what they are really opposed to.

These people have absolutely no appreciation for ancient relics or culture. All they are interested in is that people don't perform Hadra's around the tombs or visit dead Sufi sages.
Timidi mater non flet
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2012 at 17:53
In the art and arch. circles that I was educated in and a member of, the term for folks like this is, "Snot Gurgles".   If you were able to interview them as a group,  you'd find that religion has little to do with it.  Power, and control, socio-economicly.  The sufi shrines are a distraction from the efforts of the political leaders to bring them under their power.  The shrines are a constant reminder of another era, when the sufi's were stronger and controlled their own territory and destinies.

It might also be noted that, it's much easier to get SnotGurgles to destroy, than it is to get them to build.

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2012 at 18:18
Snotgurgle
(Noun) A relative of the Troll that not only eats, but tortures Gnomes. Manifests as an ugly, smelly, snotty beast that is not afraid to throttle a Human when the opportunity arises. Generally found in Norse Mythology and popularized in the book 'Gnomes' by Wil Huygen and Rien Poortvliet. In the book, Snotgurgles are described as the biggest foe of the Gnome, but also the least intelligent.
The drooling Snotgurgle attempted

Edited by red clay - 08-Sep-2012 at 18:23
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2012 at 19:13
Savages. This is why museums in the civilised world has a duty to acquire priceless artefacts and prevent their destruction, even to the point of breaking international law
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2012 at 23:09
Here is where an organization such as Unesco, could actually do something tangible, if they had the orbs. 
A safe, protected storage area, operated by the International Force.  I don't know what could be done with things like the shrines, but if they can move something like Abu, they can figure this out.  If needed, take them by force.  No one has the right to destroy any groups heritage.

Post Reply Post Reply