Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

World Affairs Prediction Game

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: World Affairs Prediction Game
    Posted: 04-May-2005 at 12:23
Has learning history given you insight into how the world works? Does this makes you good at assessing and predicting current international events? Do you think you are good at it? Are you willing to bet on that?

Now you can; virtually if you play this game, of course.

Make predictions on what international events will happen within the next week. Offer odds to entice people to bet on it. Accept bets from other players. At the end of the round, a game master tabulates the results and declares who is the rounds winner, the best international affair guru from AE.

Let me illustrate: you predict that U.S. will close the Mexican border within the next week. You are so sure of this that you give 3:1 oddsthis is, you will give three virtual dollars if you are wrong for every virtual dollar that the other player accepts to risk. A person accepts your offer betting 20 virtual dollars. If at the end of the round you are correct, the game master will adds 20 points to your total and takes 20 points away from the other person.

Remember, only international affairs predictions qualify. Lets focus on diplomatic, political, military, or economic actions or statements.

When you are ready, post your bets on this thread.

Here are the rules of the game:

All players start with $1000 virtual dollars starting at their first participation. Only integer bets are allowed.

Every player donates $10 per round for a jackpot to give to the person with the top score at the end of the round.

To place a bet, write a post describing your prediction, give your odds, and write in uppercase letter the word: OFFER. If you want to stop taking bets, repost your offer with the word CLOSED added to it. A player can only have one open offer per prediction.

If you want to accept a bet offer, give the name of the player, quote his post, write the amount that you are betting, and write in uppercase letters the word: ACCEPT. As long as the offer is open, all accept posts are binding to the two parties.

All deals are final. The deadline to make, accept, or close an offer is Tuesday at 11:59 P.M. GMT.

After assessing if the predictions happened or not, I will tabulate the results and publish them on Wednesday.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2005 at 13:52
A risky one: I'll bet 10:1 that Blair will win the British elections tomorrow.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2005 at 16:22
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

I'll ACCEPT. I bet 10.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2005 at 17:48

My predictions for the next 20 years

2:1 the US has a domestic meltdown based on the far right push we are currently undergoing

5:1 China becomes a fascist nation in all but name

1:1 Rick Santorum turns out to be a closeted gay

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2005 at 18:46

I ACCEPT and match hugoestr's 10.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 06:49
wait, I think I've misunderstood it.
Does my bet mean that I think Blair will win (which is the cause) or that I think Blair doesn't win?
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 08:58
MIxcoatl, the way that I understand it, is that you say that you Blair will win the election.

If Blair keeps his position, which is very probable, I and Catt will give you each 10 virtual dollars next Wednesday. If for some reason Blair loses, then you will have to give both of us 100.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 09:12
ah, ok. In that case everything is in order.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2005 at 09:46
OFFER: Iran will announce that they will give up their nuclear program. Odds: 20:1
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2005 at 13:45
offer: Venezuela and the USA cut diplomatic ties 5:1

Edited by Mixcoatl
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2005 at 15:05

Originally posted by hugoestr

OFFER: Iran will announce that they will give up their nuclear program. Odds: 20:1

I'll take that offer and bet you 100, even though I'd be ecstatic if you were correct.

Edited by Genghis
Member of IAEA
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2005 at 15:06

offer: Venezuela and the USA cut diplomatic ties 5:1

I'll bet 50

Member of IAEA
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2005 at 13:24
Forgot about this. Couple of questions hugoestr, it ends tomorrow so how do deadlines on placing work.. and what happens if you eventually go in the hole?
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2005 at 14:40
Summary of Bets:

Mixcoalt: A risky one: I'll bet 10:1 that Blair will win the British elections tomorrow.
RESULT: BLAIR WON
Mixcoalt wins 10 from hugoestr and 10 from Catt

Mixcoalt: Venezuela and the USA cut diplomatic ties 5:1
RESULT: TIES HAVE NOT BEEN CUT
Mixcoalt wins 50 from Genghis

RESULT: IRAN HAS NOT GIVEN UP THEIR NUCLEAR PROGRAM
Hugoestr wins 100 from Genghis

Winner's Pot: $40

Total = Previous+Fee+Wins+Losses
Hugoestr 1000-10+100-10
Mixcoatl 1000-10+70-0
Catt 1000-10+0-10
Genghis 1000-10+0-150

Round Totals Before adding pot
Hugoestr 1080
Mixcoatl 1060
Catt 980
Genghis 840

Round winner: hugoestr with 1080
Round total for winner plus pot: 1080 + 40

Round Totals
Hugoestr 1120
Mixcoatl 1060
    Catt 980
Genghis 840

Honorable mentions:
Won most bets: Mixcoalt
Loss less money: Mixcoalt

Edited by hugoestr
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2005 at 15:01
Let me answer the question that which I already had answered, but somehow didn't get posted:

The deadline is 11:59 GMT. Any deal after this time is voided.

If one goes below zero, one get's $500 to keep playing, but gets a start next to its name to indicate that they have lost it all. By paying $1000 to the pot, one gets to have the start erased.
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2005 at 15:02

1 Offer: Lopez Obrador becomes PRD's presidential candidate defeating Cardenas.

2 Offer: Lopez Obrador wins the presidential elections in 2006.

3 Offer: Mexico will become more oriented towards Brazil, Argentina, Spain, Venezuela and Cuba.

4 Offer: The USA will recognize a left goverment in Mexico. US policies towards Latin America are merely focused on accusing Venezuela and Cuba.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2005 at 15:20
If you think that this will happen within the next week, give odds, Jalisco Lancer.
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2005 at 16:22

Offer: Hugo Chavez will travel to Cuba and denounce Bush there

Odds:5:1

Member of IAEA
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2005 at 18:05

1 Offer: Lopez Obrador becomes PRD's presidential candidate defeating Cardenas.
Odds 2:1 I bet 20 USD.

2 Offer: Lopez Obrador wins the presidential elections in 2006.
Odds 2:1

3 Offer: Mexico will become more oriented towards Brazil, Argentina, Spain, Venezuela and Cuba.

4 Offer: The USA will recognize a left goverment in Mexico. US policies towards Latin America are merely focused on accusing Venezuela and Cuba.

Edited by Jalisco Lancer
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2005 at 18:11
Originally posted by Genghis

Offer: Hugo Chavez will travel to Cuba and denounce Bush there

Odds:5:1

Did you notice that the US was not invited to the south american / arab meeting ?

The countries scheduled to meet at Brazil are:

from South America: Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Guiana, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela.
from the Arab world: Algeria, Bahrein, Comoros, Djibouti, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen.
Some concerns from Israel and the United States have been raised since the announcement of the meeting. However the Brazilian Minister of Foreign Relations, Celso Amorim, said that the meeting is intended as a forum to discuss only cooperation between the two regions and it is not a political attack on Israel. "It is a meeting of two regions, which will discuss mutual cooperation", he says.

The US ambassador in Brazil complained in a bitter way that the US was not invited even as an observator.

Edited by Jalisco Lancer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>