Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Had Attila the Hun lived longer?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
heyamigos View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote heyamigos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Had Attila the Hun lived longer?
    Posted: 04-Sep-2012 at 20:44
He died of a heart attack on his wedding night with a German princess (Hilda).  Had the man lived longer, I think he would have conquered Western Rome and ruled with a Central Asian alliance of tribes.  Perhaps he would have allowed the migrations of other Central Asian tribes (ie Avars, Magyars) to join and bolster his own Huns vis-a-vis Rome and the Germanic tribes loosely under his vassalage? Europe today may have been speaking Turkic or Hungarian instead?
Delenda est Roma View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2012 at 21:04
See the Battle of Chalons.
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2012 at 21:47
An indecisive battle?

the main argument against Heyamigos idea is that Rome rules Europe for 7 centuries and no-one today speaks Latin, so it's unlikely they would get converted to Hungarian or Turkish. Also Attila's empire collapsed after his death, so even if he had taken Rome, it wouldn't have been for long.

Edited by Toltec - 04-Sep-2012 at 21:48
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
Delenda est Roma View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2012 at 21:58
The battle was a strategic victory for the Romans, stopping the Huns' attempt to conquer Roman Gaul. The Huns were later destroyed by a coalition of Germanic peoples at the Battle of Nedao in 454.http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Catalaunian_Plains
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2012 at 22:01
Heyamigos, just to let you know that i'm moving this thread to "alternative history"
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
 Post Reply Post Reply