Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Assyrians of today

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Assyrians of today
    Posted: 03-May-2005 at 21:44
I have had several conversations with people of "Assyrian" ethnicity, and I wanted to know more about them. Some assyrians claim that Syrics, Chaldeans,maronites, and jacobites are all Assyrian people by a different name. I have even heard some say that  Kurds are  Assyrians that are Muslims.  some claim that they are more or less have a direct relation to the ancient assyrians. The population of Assyrians has ranged anywhere from 2 million to 7 million world wide. Can i get some information from non assyrian websites, because that is all I am provided from my Assyrian friends.

Edited by strategos
http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
AssyrianMan7 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote AssyrianMan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2005 at 23:07

The Syriacs, Chaldeans, Maronites, Nestorians and the Jacobites are all Assyrians with diffrent christian denominational names. The Chaldeans of today have no relation to the chaldeans of 3000 years ago. The Chaldean Christian's Patriarch was called the "Patriach of Babylon" by Rome in the 1500's. Since he was called that, the followers of that church called themselfs what the babylonians called them selfs. The Syriac Denomination is named after our lauguage. We the all speak the lauguage Syriac (AKA Neo-Aramiac). The Maronites mostly in Lebnon call them self that because hundreds of years ago thier bishops name was Mar Onite. That bishop broke of the main Assyrian Church (Church of the East) and all his followers called them selfs Maronites. The Syriacs also call them self Jacobities( i have no clue way). As for the Kurds.  Kurds are NOT Assyrians.  90 years ago, the turks were killing and forcing Assyrians to accept islam. The Assyrians who accepted islam called them selfs kurds because the muslims in the area were kurds. Once an Assyrian leaves Christianity they either are considered Arabs, Kurds or Turks in the Middle East. Their is no such thing as an Assyrian Muslim. Their are muslims whos background is Assyrian. During Saddams Riegn, in Iraq Assyrians(including the christians) by law were either considered Kurds or Arabs. Many lost thier idenity.

"Christian Assyrians are the indigenous people of north Iraq. Assyrians have staunchly resisted assimilation by local hegemonies, whether Arabization, Turkification or Kurdification. They are divided among several churches, as members of the Assyrian Church of the East (Nestorian), the Chaldean Catholic Church of Babylon, and the Syrian Orthodox Church - who read and write Syriac, a Semitic language which is used in their religious observances. The Assyrians descend from the Assyrian nation that conquered ancient Syria, Israel and Mesopotamia in the 8th and 7th century BC ([1] (http://www.aina.org/articles/assyrianidentity.pdf) Assyrian Identity) and have maintained their separate identity (Genetic Differentiation In Iranian Christian Communities."

http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Assyrian

Edited by AssyrianMan7
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2005 at 10:24

Originally posted by strategos

I have had several conversations with people of "Assyrian" ethnicity, and I wanted to know more about them. Some assyrians claim that Syrics, Chaldeans,maronites, and jacobites are all Assyrian people by a different name. I have even heard some say that  Kurds are  Assyrians that are Muslims.  some claim that they are more or less have a direct relation to the ancient assyrians. The population of Assyrians has ranged anywhere from 2 million to 7 million world wide. Can i get some information from non assyrian websites, because that is all I am provided from my Assyrian friends.

Assyrians are Semitic but Kurds are Iranic people who are Indo-European originated. So they have nothing to do with each other. We also have lots of Assyrians, here in Turkey, especially in the Syrian bordered cities.

and @ assyrian man,

Why do you think Ottomans could even be aware of the Assyrian population in the Empire? They were a tiny minority and there wasnt any reason or even time or opportunity (because Turks were fighting in battle fields but non-Muslims werent) to hate massacre, or kill  them. Please man, be logical, Assyrians werent even considered as a main subject, and there werent any genocides comitted by Ottomans.

Edited by Oguzoglu
AssyrianMan7 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote AssyrianMan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2005 at 14:50
My village used to be in Turkey along with thousands of others, most of
the Assyrians of today are from turkey. If turkey never commited a
genocide why aren't the thousands of villages from 90 years ago still
there. Both the Kurds and the turks managed to get the Assyrians out of
Southeast turkey an area that was entirely Assyrian with a little kurds.
Thier still are one or two villages left but they are all islamic now. I am
not saying turkey is the only country that have kill innocent people, what i
am trying to say is turkey is the only left to admit kill inocent people.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2005 at 01:34

I'm chaldean, and we are taught that we are descendents of the ancient Chaldeans.  I know that the village in Iraq that my parents are from are supposed to be descendents of the Akkadian people.  This village is Al Qosh.  I just found it funny that I've read from two various internet sources, and when I asked my Grandpa about Al-Qosh he brought up that Al-Qosh are descendents of Akkadians.

The villages of the Chaldeans in Iraq are near Babylon.  One of the Old Testament Prophets Nahum was from Al Qosh and preached about Ninevah, which is near modern day Tel Keffe(The main Chaldean Village).  The Old Testament took place, I believe, during the time of Daniel and Nebuchanezzer

Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Alparslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2005 at 02:30

This is really foolish.

What Akkadian, what babylonian, what assyrians you are talking about? Those people were all extinct.

The people who are called as Assyrians are nothing more than a group of Christian of the Middle East. If they could be succesful in imposing their Christinanity while they were struggling to do it against Greek speaking Orthodox church the history would be very interestingly different.

Assyrians cannot show an ethnicity. They were devoted Christians of Middle East speaking Aramaic, a western dialect of Semitic language, (different than real Assyrian since it is eastern Semitic) who have been reached until Cental Asia as missionaires. Some Turkish Kagan have been accepted Christianity and became Nestorian Christian. It is known that there were Turks who have been converted to Nestorian. Assyrians in Turkey use mostly Turkish in praying.

The Chaldean Christian's Patriarch was called the "Patriach of Babylon" by Rome in the 1500's. I am sure that before this event they were not calling themselves as Chaldeans......

Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2005 at 10:16

Alparslan, if you see a map of Sassanid Empire (226-651 AD) then you will understand that Iraq was called Asuristan which means "Land of Assyrians", so it can not be said that Assyrians disappeared after the fall of the Assyrian Empire.

Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2005 at 03:40
Actually Asoristan applied to the northern part of Iraq and the northeastern part of Syria east of the Euphrates.  The southern part of Iraq was known as Mesan.  Since Aramaic-speaking peoples predominated in "Assyria", all the Aramaeans of these regions were "Assyrians".  The extended name of Assyria which was used for all northern Mesopotamia (from the Lower Zab in the east to the Euphrates in the west) from the time of the Assyrian Empire to the Islamic conquest was peopled by Aramaeans. 
 Post Reply Post Reply