Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bears in Britain

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
carolgreen270 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote carolgreen270 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bears in Britain
    Posted: 24-Aug-2012 at 21:38
When did the bear become extinct in Britain? I have read (but without any sources given) that the Romans preferred to use Scottish bears as entertainment in the Colosseum at Rome, because they were fiercer. Also that bears were still in Ireland until the 10th century.

Are there any myths of the Irish/British/Scottish that refer to bears? Or records of bear encounters the older histories and chronicles?

These questions were prompted by seeing a number of Pictish stones with bears carved onto them. These could be from cultural memories, or imported stories (from the Vikings?), but I wonder.
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2012 at 03:29
Try the following: www.bearbiology.com/fileadmin/.../Kai_Curry-Lindahl_74-83.pdf
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Sidney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Sidney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2012 at 09:29
Well, deja vu!! - Exactly my words but with someone else's name.:-)

See:http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=31377&KW=bears

Maybe it'lll generate some new interest, but seems a waste as there's an existing thread. Cheers for the link CV.

Edited by Sidney - 25-Aug-2012 at 09:32
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2012 at 11:36
apparently sometime between 500 and 1000 AD
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2012 at 07:36
One theory suggests King Arthur was named after a bear
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2012 at 16:57
That's only because there were no Smilodon fatalis in ancient Britain.

S. T. Friedman

Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2012 at 18:06
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

They were too scared of the Cave Lions to come to Europe..

History Planet Website
<br /
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2012 at 18:25
Originally posted by Toltec

Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

They were too scared of the Cave Lions to come to Europe..

Yupper...the ole Panthera leo spelaea. Always wondered who won when they went into the den of Ursus spelaeus. To bad we were not around swilling 'cave beer'...well out of reach of course..to view that one.

probably like a modern rugby match.Wink

S. T. Friedman

Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2012 at 19:38
No idea with these two, in but in the old Lion vs Tiger fight thing, everyone backs tigers, but in recorded history almost every encounter was won by the lion. This is because lions fight each other regularly and have evolved to fight a face to face in a brawl, but tigers avoid each other and are ambush predators used to attacking prey from behind, so have no brawling ability.

History Planet Website
<br /
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2012 at 22:20
Well in that case probably the bear...for they do today the same thing...as lions. Tis why there's only one dominant male in a selected area. Hence my 'cave beer best speculation' is their ancestors on the gigantica size did the same.

I threw that last in... not because I know but to avoid a trolling citation.....LOLLOLLOL

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2012 at 08:08
The only wild cat in Britain at that time was the lynx in Scotland and Yorkshire. We did have other fierce wild beasts though: in addition to bears there were wolves and wild boar
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2012 at 14:33
Lura, from Daybreak 2250AD, was a golden Lynx........

S. T. Friedman

Iolo View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Iolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2012 at 10:46
Originally posted by Nick1986

It is not a theory - 'arth' means 'bear' in modern cymraeg ('Welsh').   For my money, general Ambrosius Aurelianus used a bearskin for a 'signum' so that his men could recognise him in battle, and his British -speaking soldiers called him 'the Bear'.   Incidentally, one of the very first poetic references to Arthur call him not by the barbarian title 'king' but 'amaradeur' - 'emperor', such as late-Roman troops regularly proclaimed their leaders  on a victorious battlefield.   The numbers might have been small by then, but the rituals were understood.    
Gobeithiaw y ddaw ydd wyf.
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2012 at 12:18
The troops proclaimed their generals imperator not emperor. Imperator is a military rank similar to field marshal given to general who commanded whole regions of the empire.

History Planet Website
<br /
Iolo View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Iolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2012 at 14:38
Originally posted by Toltec

The troops proclaimed their generals imperator not emperor. Imperator is a military rank similar to field marshal given to general who commanded whole regions of the empire.

By that date I'd guess that the soldiers - who would mostly have come from up beyond the wall - would probably have been as ignorant of the distinction as I am.   As I understand it, though, 'amaradeur' is taken to mean emperor.
Gobeithiaw y ddaw ydd wyf.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2012 at 19:29
Originally posted by Iolo

It is not a theory - 'arth' means 'bear' in modern cymraeg ('Welsh').   For my money, general Ambrosius Aurelianus used a bearskin for a 'signum' so that his men could recognise him in battle, and his British -speaking soldiers called him 'the Bear'.   Incidentally, one of the very first poetic references to Arthur call him not by the barbarian title 'king' but 'amaradeur' - 'emperor', such as late-Roman troops regularly proclaimed their leaders  on a victorious battlefield.   The numbers might have been small by then, but the rituals were understood.    

Did Ambrosius ever fight on behalf of the reigning emperor against rebel Roman generals in Gaul?
Sidney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Sidney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2012 at 13:16
Originally posted by Iolo

It is not a theory - 'arth' means 'bear' in modern cymraeg ('Welsh').   For my money, general Ambrosius Aurelianus used a bearskin for a 'signum' so that his men could recognise him in battle, and his British -speaking soldiers called him 'the Bear'.      

Presumably a British bearskin? Meaning bears were still around in Britain in the 5th-6th Century AD.

Edited by Sidney - 23-Nov-2012 at 13:18
Sidney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Sidney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2013 at 12:35
What happened to the original thread of this? It no longer seems to exist, and I was looking for a source I quoted within it.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2013 at 12:54
Dunno Sid...ya might query red viz PM for a file check.

CV

S. T. Friedman

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2013 at 09:37
This is all there is, unless there is an older thread that would be in the old archive.  Made prior to july 09.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>