Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dating first use of Onager(siege weapon)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Excellencia View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Excellencia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dating first use of Onager(siege weapon)
    Posted: 14-Aug-2012 at 02:12
Hi all,

Although I searched many books and quite a lot in net, it seems the only source mentions onager is Ammianus Marcellinus who recorded history of Rome between 96 to 378 AD. Authorities claims this weapon is started to use while Roman empire is declining as a result of loss of  complex siege weapon technologies that are mastered earlier. Thus, it is considered this weapon first used after AD.

However, I found one source is claiming onager is mentioned by Philon around 200 BC and again in the second century AD by Apollodorus of Damascus, it was not described in any detail until the fourth century.

Is there any other source that points out exact date when onager came to scene of siege warfare? Is it probable that Romans used onagers during Punic wars?

Thanks in advance.
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2012 at 02:26
A Roman writer called,  Marcus Vitruvius Pollio (born c. 80–70 BC, died after c. 15 BC), is meant to have made a brief description too.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2012 at 02:31
If memory serves correct research Marcus Vitruvius Pollio.

He remains, except to aficionados of the subject, as not very well known. More well known for his work and book on architecture which escapes me at the moment. But he was military engineer and a late 1st Ce. BC era doctores ballistarum...which is to say artillery expert.

I recall Mamurra was an engineer but do not remember if he was associated with siege operations and equipment.

Most of my notes reference classical Roman artillery have alas gone the 'way of the buffalo'.

Best of luck.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2012 at 02:35
Ah my ole pard Alani was quicker...my apologies.

S. T. Friedman

Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Excellencia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2012 at 04:51
As far as I know Vitruvius in his books covers two-arm torsion engines called ballistas. There is no account of one-armed torsion weapon, onager in his work.

I tried to search about  Philon of Byzantium and quickly found some sources mentions one-armed catapult.

First, this site.  It gives names of three writers as I mention above post and surprisingly gives exact dates about usage of onager. Writer's claim about why onager is so hard to find in historical accounts is to prevent others from copying it but it is funny I think. Since all other roman engines are very well described without concerning probability of stealing. I am not sure if all this such certain or this site is reliable.

Later, I found a google book by Alan Wilkins's book Roman Artillery. Although it does not mentions some certain dating it gives similar information with above site.

The most clear description is given Ammianus Marcellinus but it is much later thus this lack of clear information creates an illusion of that onager is a late invention.

It is becoming confusing.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2012 at 06:13
Originally posted by Excellence

As far as I know Vitruvius in his books covers two-arm torsion engines called ballistas. There is no account of one-armed torsion weapon, onager in his work.

I tried to search about  Philon of Byzantium and quickly found some sources mentions one-armed catapult.

First, this site.  It gives names of three writers as I mention above post and surprisingly gives exact dates about usage of onager. Writer's claim about why manager is so hard to find in historical accounts is to prevent others from copying it but it is funny I think. Since all other roman engines are very well described without concerning probability of stealing. I am not sure if all this such certain or this site is reliable.

Later, I found a google book by Alan Wilkins's book Roman Artillery. Although it does not mentions some certain dating it gives similar information with above site.

The most clear description is given Ammianus Marcellinus but it is much later thus this lack of clear information creates an illusion of that manager is a late invention.

It is becoming confusing.

LOL

I noticed that for the first time back in 75 as a first year undergrad.

Welcome to the world of historical research.

Keep the faith and keep looking. I shall query an old friend and excellent SME in this field and get back with anything as I can.

CV

S. T. Friedman

Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Excellencia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2012 at 07:19
Thanks so much, while eagerly waiting for answer I will continue to dig deep into net. :)
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2012 at 18:20
CV - the first mention in writing of the two-torsion-rope, single shaft onager appears to be written by Ammarus Marcellius sometime during the 4th century, AD.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2012 at 19:16
LOLWell then I bow to superior research. which is not easy by inclination and fuced up knees...LOLLOL.

My next question would then be, as the op infers, when was the actual identification and or idea was developed.  But alas it appears that we have no source for that. That as more modern examples would indicate, involves today what we call RDA.....given the sources of medieval and modern age examples; this might indicate anywhere from a three to five year hiatus before acceptance and production and universal usage. But in truth I can not even guess.Ouch

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 16-Aug-2012 at 19:16

S. T. Friedman

General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2012 at 19:29
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

LOLWell then I bow to superior research. which is not easy by inclination and fuced up knees...LOLLOL.

My next question would then be, as the op infers, when was the actual identification and or idea was developed.  But alas it appears that we have no source for that. That as more modern examples would indicate, involves today what we call RDA.....given the sources of medieval and modern age examples; this might indicate anywhere from a three to five year hiatus before acceptance and production and universal usage. But in truth I can not even guess.Ouch

It may well have been one of those battlefield inventions that did not become "official" until after it had proven it's worth, and official word had been sent all the way back to Rome.

Remember the hedgerow plows made up in the filed for the Shermans in Normandy?

BTW..."bowing" doesn't actually involve the knees...Wink

Edited by Mountain Man - 16-Aug-2012 at 19:30
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Excellencia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2012 at 02:15
According to Alan Wilkins's book, Roman artillery onager is first mentioned by Philon in 200 BC in passage on defneding a city under siege; "You must try smash through the roofs of the siege-sheds by releasing very large stones from machines and projecting beams, and by shooting from above by one-talent and one-arm stone throwers." Philon, Poliorketika, 91, 33-8

Writer's claim is one-talent is a famous large scale ballista capable of releasing one-talent stones and one-arm is the later called onager. Philon describes how to use them in concert. Yet, this is only source mentioning it until second century AD Apollodorus, emperor Trajan's engineer, gives information about it.

It is really interesting how so few information about such a weapon exists. While other engines are documented to bits and worked to find a universal law about them, onagers seems to be neglected which is odd.

This lack of information causes even the authorities and modelers think different and eventually reconstructions also differs.

In conclusion, we have just one source for BC onagers which is a bit vague and other sources points out AD as time frame.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2012 at 02:25
Originally posted by Mountain Man

It may well have been one of those battlefield inventions that did not become "official" until after it had proven it's worth, and official word had been sent all the way back to Rome.

Remember the hedgerow plows made up in the filed for the Shermans in Normandy?

BTW..."bowing" doesn't actually involve the knees...Wink

Indeed correct.... as when the first Stone age ole infantry man attached a rock to a stick and created my beloved artillery... which has always saved the Cav's ass...when they were there...at least those of us who would admit it.Big smile

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2012 at 02:28
Originally posted by Excellence

According to Alan Wilkins's book, Roman artillery onager is first mentioned by Felon in 200 BC in passage on defending a city under siege; "You must try smash through the roofs of the siege-sheds by releasing very large stones from machines and projecting beams, and by shooting from above by one-talent and one-arm stone throwers." Philon, Poliorketika, 91, 33-8

Writer's claim is one-talent is a famous large scale ballista capable of releasing one-talent stones and one-arm is the later called onager. Philon describes how to use them in concert. Yet, this is only source mentioning it until second century AD Apollodorus, emperor Trajan's engineer, gives information about it.

It is really interesting how so few information about such a weapon exists. While other engines are documented to bits and worked to find a universal law about them, onagers seems to be neglected which is odd.

This lack of information causes even the authorities and modelers think different and eventually reconstructions also differs.

In conclusion, we have just one source for BC onagers which is a bit vague and other sources points out AD as time frame.

And as I noted my new found friend...as you have already discerned...just because the records cant not sufficiently answer the question...doesn't mean is not worthy of study and opinionation. And thank you for the additional info. I commend you for that. And look to see you opine elsewhere.

Be well
CV

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 18-Aug-2012 at 02:29

S. T. Friedman

General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2012 at 14:17

Indeed correct.... as when the first Stone age ole infantry man attached a rock to a stick and created my beloved artillery... which has always saved the Cav's ass...when they were there...at least those of us who would admit it.Big smile

"Artillery brings dignity to what is otherwise a vulgar battlefield brawl."

Previously on the Tank thread,  CV said:  "A tanker without his tank is just a highly trained mechanic waiting for another tank".

"A cannon cocker without his big guns is just another knuckle dragger without a slingshot. Basically, he's just baggage."

MM - 1/29th FA (SP)
Camp Irwin, CA 1980

Edited by Mountain Man - 18-Aug-2012 at 14:21
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2012 at 20:15

Reconstruction of a Roman onager
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Excellencia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2012 at 05:40

And as I noted my new found friend...as you have already discerned...just because the records cant not sufficiently answer the question...doesn't mean is not worthy of study and opinionation. And thank you for the additional info. I commend you for that. And look to see you opine elsewhere.

Be well
CV

Thanks I will continue to search while I am certainly aware of how a well built solid wall of arguments fall apart just by a newly founded piece of stone or a rusty metalwork in case of history.

Even experts of ancient artillery has different ideas about this weapon thus causing many different modern reconstructions. All these exchange and manufacture of ideas will eventually bring us to truth. (hopefully)

Thanks for video, it is great.

Sorry for my english, by the way.

Edited by Excellencia - 21-Aug-2012 at 05:42
okamido View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended, tit for tat

Quote okamido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2012 at 18:45
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Excellencia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2012 at 01:49
Thank you okamido, there is great bunch of information. It seems history of machinery is much complex issue than I thought.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2012 at 13:58
And you might find this useful and or interesting as well.

bit.csc.lsu.edu/~pangburn/onager.pdf

S. T. Friedman

Post Reply Post Reply