Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cross,Crescent and Star

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cross,Crescent and Star
    Posted: 10-Sep-2004 at 17:35
Ah ok I thought I heard something about how geometric shapes were seen as an important part of the petronas towers due to religion.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2004 at 19:51
Originally posted by JanusRook

WHy do people still think the Pope speaks for god, after all the murderous popes and debauched popes you would think people wouldnt continue to respect the office.

But they do so that must say something. Anyway wasn't Jesus all about spreading his word through/to sinners and those outside of good society.

I dont think Jesus said anything about having a pope either

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 12:10

Why do people love Diana?
Why do people love British Royalty?

Same as why they love the pope... out of ignorant love for dazzling display of wealth and power in Vatican and the fine clothes worn by the hierarchy.

Jesus said nothing about popes, but Catholics just distorted the passage in the bible where Jesus says "You are Peter (rock in greek) and I will build my church upon you.". They took this as meaning that Peter is the first Pope, so that some all-powerful bishop can justify why he is more richer and more powerful than other Christians by declaring that he "succeeded" Peter, thus a Pope.

Forgot his name, but a Medieval pope was so debauched that women praying in Rome dared not enter the Church where he resided.

I oppose the Pope because he tries to interfere in Abortion issues... I have no hatred towards normal Catholics.

Ptolemy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Ptolemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 23:37
I hope you all realize there are currently 3 popes?
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 20:09

I dont think Jesus said anything about having a pope either

Of course he did just read Zuchaboah 12:14-15

"And verily I say unto you, there shallt be a man with a righteous hat that commands all peoples to do good deeds."

Well not literally a pope but I think that its the meaning of that.

I hope you all realize there are currently 3 popes?

Catholic, Coptic and whom else? Tahwedo?

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 20:10

Jesus said nothing about popes, but Catholics just distorted the passage in the bible where Jesus says "You are Peter (rock in greek) and I will build my church upon you."

As a Catholic I find it offensive that you accuse me and my fellow christians of distorting a biblical message.

so that some all-powerful bishop can justify why he is more richer and more powerful than other Christians by declaring that he "succeeded" Peter, thus a Pope.

To my knowledge the pope must take the same vows of poverty, chastity and obedience as all other clergy.

Same as why they love the pope... out of ignorant love for dazzling display of wealth and power in Vatican and the fine clothes worn by the hierarchy.

So if you don't hate the pope your easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Forgot his name, but a Medieval pope was so debauched that women praying in Rome dared not enter the Church where he resided.

...and he wasn't much different than the other rulers of europe at that time. Besides during the middle ages the papacy was under the control of various italian factions (one of the reasons for moving to avignon).

Edited by JanusRook

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 20:45

how the hell do you know the biblical message isnt already distorted?  If you cant otlerate that kind of questioning it makes having any sort of discussion hard.

And the concept of Pope seems to have done more harm then good over the ages.

-Alexander Hamilton
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 21:04

Amen Tobodai. You can put those Crusading popes on the same list as any dictator. Maybe on the same list as Bush? Hmmm.  

Maybe you should be the next pope .

Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 22:13

What the devil is Zuchaboah? I was never aware that there was an apostle with a name as devilish as Zuchaboah...

By "Catholics" I mean the church leaders that made up this theory. Just like when one says "Japanese comitted Rape of Nanking." - dosn't mean every Japanese did it.

Hmm... Rightous man in rightous hat. That could be Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, Mullah Omar, Bin Laden or anyone else who ever wore a hat and called himself rightous. I am going to be Pope Evildoer I because I just wore a hat and called myself rightous... All Hail!

Perhaps you are easily distracted by shiny objects like a child.

How can you compare religious leaders to murderous and ambicious Medieval political leaders? You just contradicted yourself describing pope as "rightous" in the previous post.

Popes went to Avignon not because of some Italian duke/doge but because of King of France sacked Rome and dragged them there - because they didn't want him to tax the clergy. Vive le Roi!

Edited by Evildoer
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 22:18

how the hell do you know the biblical message isnt already distorted?

Exactly my point catholic leaders try to keep to the original message. The vatican has whole buildings dedicated to biblical studies.

And the concept of Pope seems to have done more harm then good over the ages.

What do you mean the concept of a pope is a great concept, during the early period of the church the patriarchs helped keep christianity united. The only reason the pope has such high prestige now is because he is the ruler of one of the few important early bishoprics.

The concept is a great idea, some of the people who held the position weren't such great people. I'll agree but the institution is a good thing.

You can put those Crusading popes on the same list as any dictator.

Agreed, but make sure Ghenghis Khan, Henry VIII, Andrew Jackson and Ferdinand II are on that list too.

ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 22:21

I dont particularly like Ghenghis Khan (great warrior and leader, but not a great person), and i realllllly dislike English royalty. Add them in!

Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 23:00

Biblical studies, otherwise known as biblical distortions...

"Uniting" Christianity - killing off all people who think differently (inquistion) and burning "witches"... Union of Christian Fascist Kingdoms  UCFK! or even KKK!

"United forever in Friendship and Labour...." - Soviet Anthem first line...

Andrew Jackson was not a dictator...

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 12:29

Biblical studies, otherwise known as biblical distortions...

How do you know they're distortions did you write the book.

"Uniting" Christianity - killing off all people who think differently (inquistion) and burning "witches"... Union of Christian Fascist Kingdoms  UCFK! or even KKK!

Whats wrong with uniting people under a common faith? Also the inquisition was relatively tame contrary to popular belief, in fact many spaniards commited heresy so they could go to inquisition prisons instead of the secular jails. Oh and more secular witch burnings occured than church sponsered ones.

I also find it deplorable that you would associate all christians with fascists, monarchists and Ku Klux Klansmen.

"United forever in Friendship and Labour...." - Soviet Anthem first line...

...........so the correlation is christianity is communist and evil?

Andrew Jackson was not a dictator...

Mass genocide doesn't make you a dictator now?

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 12:46
How do we know Catholic leaders have always wanted to keep the same message?  In the past they could have changed it to their own ends and we could never know.  Their people after all, not above anyone else and as we all know history, science etc, can all be distorted by those with power and an objective.
-Alexander Hamilton
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 13:07

What the devil is Zuchaboah? I was never aware that there was an apostle with a name as devilish as Zuchaboah...

uh...........that was a joke.......reason I made it a different post....and that's my reply to all related statements.

Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 16:29

Jackson was perhaps a criminal but that dosn't make him a dictator. He was a democratically elected President. But he did overturn a supreme court decision and he did force Cherokees into concentration camps though.

I never knew that burning at the stake as a heretic was worse than being in prison...

Correlation is that Catholics squashed quite a few bunches of people who hated them together and called themselves United and Original, just as USSR squashed ethnic Lithuanians, Estonians, Finns, Latavians, etc. and called themselves United.

I am not associating "all" Chrisitans with KKK, Monarchists etc. Note that I am talking about Inquisitors and Counter-Reformation fanatics.

By the way, the Conde Monarchist rebellions during French Rev. were lead by priests.

I am Christian too...

Edited by Evildoer
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 20:55

I never knew that burning at the stake as a heretic was worse than being in prison...

?

Jackson was perhaps a criminal but that dosn't make him a dictator. He was a democratically elected President.

So was Hitler, does being democratically elected remove dictatorship.

Correlation is that Catholics squashed quite a few bunches of people who hated them together and called themselves United and Original, just as USSR squashed ethnic Lithuanians, Estonians, Finns, Latavians, etc. and called themselves United.

I'm confused please help enlighten me, are you saying that the catholic leadership considers only the roman catholic church to be the original church of Christ?

I am Christian too...

That doesn't make it all right to bash the faith and leadership of a fellow christian.

Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 21:06

Yes; that was why Catholics were killing all the people who disagreed like Hus, Albegenisians, etc and excommunicating those like Waldesians. Hus burned at a stake for your information.

Well, Jackson never disolved parliaments nor made any measure to make him the sole arbiter of his country's fate, and he did not use force to convince Americans to support him as Hitler did with his Brown Shirts. Thus he is not a dictator. Same with Bush.

And note that burning the heretics were soooo common. It was meant that the burning should compensate a little for the time in hell the "heretic" was to spend in the purgartory/hell for his sins.

I bash the Pope and the Catholic leadership. If I am bashing an American leader and his cronies (Bush) dosn't mean I am bashing all Americans.

Ptolemy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Ptolemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 22:22

Catholic, Coptic and whom else? Tahwedo?

The Tahwedo shurch has a patriarch. The Orthodox Church of Alexandria (not Coptic) is presided over by the 'Pope and Patriarch of all Africa'. Tragically, he died a few days ago.

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2004 at 10:34

Who's the third pope than Ptolemy? Because I'm curious.

Does anyone else find it funny we're having a Christian discussion in the Islamic forum?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>