Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cross,Crescent and Star

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Gallipoli View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Gallipoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cross,Crescent and Star
    Posted: 26-Aug-2004 at 09:48

Name: Christianity

Holy Leader: Jesus Christ

Holy Book: The Bible

Symbol: Cross

Holy People&Symbols: The Holy Ghost, The Father and The Son

Common Language of Literature: Latin

Name:Islam

Holy Leader: Hz.Muhammad

Holy Book: The Koran

Symbol: Crescent

Holy People&Signs: Angels Cebrail,Mikail,Israfil,Azrail

Common Langauge in Literature: Arabic

Name:Judaism

Holy Leader: Moses

Holy Book: The Testament

Symbol: Star of David

Holy People&Signs: Please fill in

Common Language in Literature: Hebrew

PLEASE CORRECT MISSING OR WRONG POINTS

Quite simple data just in case some aliens wanna know what are our main religions, right?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2004 at 09:57
Originally posted by Gallipoli

Holy Book: The Testament

Isn't that be the Tora?
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2004 at 12:16

yes it is

SHTETL!

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Ptolemy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Ptolemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2004 at 21:20

Common Language of Literature: Latin

The bible is translated into pretty much every language. And if you are talking historically, only the Western Church had the Bible exclusively in Latin.  The rest of Christendom read the bible in whatever language they read - Greek, Bulgarian, Slavonic, Armenian, Georgian, Syriac, Coptic, Arabic, Amharic, Tigray, etc.

Holy People&Symbols: The Holy Ghost, The Father and The Son

Hmm, I'm not crazy about how you put that, but it will have to do.

Symbol: Star of David

I dont think the Star of David is a religious symbol as much as a cultural symbol.

Holy People&Signs: Please fill in

Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, Joshua, David, Solomon, Elijah, several other prophets.

Edited by Ptolemy
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2004 at 02:20
I don't think crescent [and star] is an absolute symbol of Islam in everywhere... in fact I didn't know of that idea before talking to an European, and I've been in Iran for most of my life. To me it rather represents something Ottoman, or maybe the lands that were under their rulership/influence (BTW I read somewhere that it's Mesopotamian in origin, they used it too...). I'm not sure though... my point is only to say that I had never been introduced to a particular symbol for Islam in the life and educational system of a land where the majority were Shi'ite.
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2004 at 15:57
Islam doesn't have a symbol in truth, so the crescent-and-star or even only the crescent aren't it's symbols.
[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2004 at 00:18

Holy Leader: Jesus Christ

I don't really think that it should be like that, Jesus is the Son so it's like saying Allah is the Holy Leader of Islam. More appropriately I believe it should be the 12 (13?) Apostles as the holy leaders.

Also Leader? I personally can't think of a better word but when I saw Holy leader I thought the Pope...to me it implies current leader. Although I state again I can't think of a better word.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2004 at 11:16
But Jesus was also the main prophet of Christianity, he's believed to have delivered the words of the God.

Steppes History Forum
Abyssmal Fiend View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Abyssmal Fiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2004 at 12:06

Hz? I know a bit about the base of the Muslim religion, though not as much as the Jewish and Christian religions, so could someone explain that?

And I wouldn't say the main literature is locked into Latin. I'd say at this point it's pretty close between English and Latin, but Latin is still the more important one.

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2004 at 14:27
The pope shouldn't be the "leader" of the Christians, what's up with that?
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2004 at 14:47

But Jesus was also the main prophet of Christianity, he's believed to have delivered the words of the God.

True he is a major prophet but he is also God.

The pope shouldn't be the "leader" of the Christians, what's up with that?

I know he shouldn't be leader of Christians, but he's the leader of my sect of Christianity. Also he is one of five legitimate patriarchs.

Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2004 at 15:45

Originally posted by ihsan

Islam doesn't have a symbol in truth, so the crescent-and-star or even only the crescent aren't it's symbols.

What about Fatima's hand?

Edited by Degredado
Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
John Doe View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote John Doe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2004 at 16:52
Quite simple data just in case some aliens wanna know what are our main religions, right?

what about hinduism and buddhism ?
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2004 at 17:04
WHy do people still think the Pope speaks for god, after all the murderous popes and debauched popes you would think people wouldnt continue to respect the office.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2004 at 17:40

WHy do people still think the Pope speaks for god, after all the murderous popes and debauched popes you would think people wouldnt continue to respect the office.

But they do so that must say something. Anyway wasn't Jesus all about spreading his word through/to sinners and those outside of good society.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2004 at 18:47
Hey whats the deal with the star of david.  When I was in Turkey I swear I saw stars identical to The Star of David on the outside of Mosques, as design on the building.  It was very clear you could see them perfectly.  Is it impossible that the star of david is not just a jewish thing, but possibly a muslim thing as well?
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2004 at 02:29
Since Islamic art gives much importance to geomethrical designs, the Star of David was also used quiet a lot in tiles, carvings, etc. Not because it's the religious symbol of Judaism, but because it's e geomethric design.

Steppes History Forum
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2004 at 06:50

Since Islamic art gives much importance to geomethrical designs, the Star of David was also used quiet a lot in tiles, carvings, etc. Not because it's the religious symbol of Judaism, but because it's e geomethric design.

Isn't the octogon a special shape in Islam or does it just fall into the geometric design? Is the geometric thing representative of God as architect of the universe?

Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2004 at 09:05

In Islam all prophets are holy leaders.

You can think Koran is a new version of Judaism and Christianity.

ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2004 at 13:25

Originally posted by JanusRook

Isn't the octogon a special shape in Islam or does it just fall into the geometric design? Is the geometric thing representative of God as architect of the universe?

Hmm, AFAIK it's only a geometric design, never heard it represented the Allh.

Steppes History Forum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>