Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Stratagetic Importance of Cannae

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Delenda est Roma View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Stratagetic Importance of Cannae
    Posted: 11-Aug-2012 at 22:22
Often people comment that Cannae was a superb tactical battle but had no major stratagetic consequences. These people are in fact wrong. In the aftermath of Cannae Romr had no field army capable of contesting control of Italy with Hannibal, she had lost her field army of over 80,000 men only 10-15,000 of whom were brought back to service. Hannibal used this advanatge well looting the battlefield and camps, recovering and trying to arranges ransoms. After this Capua, all but one of the Samnite tribes, most of Bruttium, most of Lucanis, and some of Apulia and Calabria sided with him! The stratagetic importance of Cannae was therefore massive not nil.
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2012 at 04:18
I guess whoever judges Cannae not to be importat means that this battle didn't crush Rome as Zama crushed Cartage.
The importance of Cannae can be seen is the reaction of the Romans after it - they reogranized their army, and their military doctrine per se, as a result of the great defeat and humiliation they underwent at Cannae.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2012 at 09:18
Very true DQ.
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2012 at 09:48
If we suppose for a second that Cannae took place, then surely don't we have to question the abilities of anyone in command who lets such an advantage fall away so easily? If this had been a movie script, then this is how the baddie falls by the way side. All good hero stories need the ultimate villain to beat to show them in the best light. Who at the end of all of this gets to be seen as the hero in Roman eyes?
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2012 at 09:54
We aren't aupposing it took place. We are using universally accepted sources and the universally accepted fact he did exist. What are you getting at? Hannibal's accomplishments after Cannae were just as good as before.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2012 at 10:51
Originally posted by Delenda est Roma

We aren't aupposing it took place. We are using universally accepted sources and the universally accepted fact he did exist. What are you getting at? Hannibal's accomplishments after Cannae were just as good as before.
Just for the sake of the argument we day Cannae happened with Hannibal involved in it, although I cannot in all honesty accept such a thing with such a lack of evidence for Hannibal or the battle at this stage. Then in terms of the whole picture, with Cannae being just this action that didn't lead to hannibal coming out as the ultimate winner, hannibal can hardly be seen as being a silver medal winner in an event with only two teams taking part.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2012 at 13:25
Can you explain instead of using bad analogies? Hannibal who is universally held to have existed and Cannae also universally recognized as happening was followed up by diplomacy. In thr aftermath and because of the massive victory numerous towns switched sides including the second largest Italian town Capua. Most of Bruttium, Calabria Lucania and some of Apulia also switched sides. The victory seriously shook the foundation of Rome's alliances. With the absence of a Roman field army Hannibal was able to secure his defections and capture some of the few pro Roman cities. Cannae also had a huge impact on the Roman psyche. Anyway if you contest the universally accepted battle of Cannae and Hannibal extraordinary proof is required.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2012 at 14:17

Can you explain instead of using bad analogies? Hannibal who is universally held to have existed and Cannae also universally recognized as happening was followed up by diplomacy. In thr aftermath and because of the massive victory numerous towns switched sides including the second largest Italian town Capua. Most of Bruttium, Calabria Lucania and some of Apulia also switched sides. The victory seriously shook the foundation of Rome's alliances. With the absence of a Roman field army Hannibal was able to secure his defections and capture some of the few pro Roman cities. Cannae also had a huge impact on the Roman psyche. Anyway if you contest the universally accepted battle of Cannae and Hannibal extraordinary proof is required.
I must apologize for bad analogies, my education at school was very poor, and as you may have gathered I need as much help as I can muster. I'm sure you will have more productive conversations with those with a university education. However, Delenda est Roma, there are many universally respected mythical figures that people have believed existed at one time or other, such as king Arthur. Are you a beliver in the King Arthur and the knights of the round table too? When it comes to followers of military tactics, Sun Tzu has no equal. I'm talking about the volume of believers, and yet even though it had once been thought Sun Tzu existed. It turns out there is no evidence they existed either. Like hannibal all those to now have been convinced of their existence. Now it is believed that the art of war is a compilation of a number of taoist scholars.
I've got to ask, what is the source of your information about towns and cities changing sides? I ask as there s a well known saying, or something, which suggests that if you are to lie then it should be a big one. 
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2012 at 14:39
I personally don't believe in King Arthur. There was probably someone similar to him but there aren't trusted sources for his existence. Not sure on Sun Tzu never researched it but I have read the book. Polybius and Livy are the primary sources for this though Appian and several other authors note this. I'm not sure if you are trying to imply I'm lying but I most certainly am not. The principal sources state this, numerous modern authors also concur.

Edited by Delenda est Roma - 12-Aug-2012 at 14:41
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2012 at 14:44
another telling point is the fact that the mass of casualties in the landowning class caused the land to be bought and turned into plantations instead of small farms. The Legions were made up of men who owned property.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2012 at 15:09

I personally don't believe in King Arthur. There was probably someone similar to him but there aren't trusted sources for his existence. Not sure on Sun Tzu never researched it but I have read the book. Polybius and Livy are the primary sources for this though Appian and several other authors note this. I'm not sure if you are trying to imply I'm lying but I most certainly am not. The principal sources state this, numerous modern authors also concur.
Polybius and Livy were said to have gained what they used mainly off of the same works from a couple of other authors. Like I have already said, no fragments of these other authors say anything about hannibal at all.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2012 at 15:20

another telling point is the fact that the mass of casualties in the landowning class caused the land to be bought and turned into plantations instead of small farms. The Legions were made up of men who owned property.
Considering there are those suggesting corrupt acts in high places, and disappearance of Roman legions at times, it sounds to me as nothing more than circumstantial evidence, and obviously already been dismissed as being strong enough evidence.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2012 at 15:25
Livy was a love struck patriot yet he copied most of Polybius' work so he is sort of reliable. Polybius reviwed eyewitnesses, used eyewitness accounts an contemporary sources. He mentions Sosylus and Chaereas. Small parts of these writers have survived. Most of Polybius' work was also destroyed only somr being preserved so its no suprise only some of the contemporary sources survived.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2012 at 15:32
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

Considering there are those suggesting corrupt acts in high places, and disappearance of Roman legions at times, it sounds to me as nothing more than circumstantial evidence, and obviously already been dismissed as being strong enough evidence.

I'm not sure what you mean? This is again accepted fact by the majority of historians. Are you suggesting corruption and the "disappearance" of legions caused these massive population declines and the emerging of plantations? You claim Hannibal didn't exist. As such you need to provide evidence that the majority of historians aren't aware of. The Second Punic War is also known as the Hannibalic War showing how much he affected it. If you deny the existence of Hannibal you deny the existence of The Punic Wars. Coelius Antipater used Silenus a contemporary source which Livy used and quoted.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2012 at 19:00

I'm not sure what you mean? This is again accepted fact by the majority of historians. Are you suggesting corruption and the "disappearance" of legions caused these massive population declines and the emerging of plantations? You claim Hannibal didn't exist. As such you need to provide evidence that the majority of historians aren't aware of. The Second Punic War is also known as the Hannibalic War showing how much he affected it. If you deny the existence of Hannibal you deny the existence of The Punic Wars. Coelius Antipater used Silenus a contemporary source which Livy used and quoted.
Isn't that somewhat a contradiction in terms saying something is an accepted fact, when what looks to have been accepted has nothing solid to back it up? You are trying to make out what historians are using is solid facts because they are using them. That's not automatically something which is logic at all. There are well known ancient historians whose works have been used and taken for truth until found out to be not so accurate after all. When it comes to the existence of hannibal why don't we apply a little scientific thinking, as for proof the scientific method is usually considered the best. Hannabil took a lot of men and elephants over the Alps. The weather was very cold and many men died from either the cold or due to falling and being lost. After all the losses they move into Northern Italy and crush Roman forces at the Trebia River and at Lake Traisimens. Looking at these things scientifically, and taking the march over the Alps alone. There are no remains found from the fallen, and not one piece of their equipment. Even at the Trebia River and at Lake Traisimens where the Romans were meant to have been crushed, nothing.

Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2012 at 19:20
http://www.eehar.csic.es/docdow.php?id=125

http://casadevelazquez.academia.edu/RuthPliego/Papers/260177/Carthaginian_Garrisons_in_Turdetania_The_Monetary_Evidence

http://www.livius.org/ha-hd/hannibal/alps.html

This one shows a helmet from the Punic Wars.

http://alliance.la.asu.edu/dorn/Mahaney07.pdf

Edited by Delenda est Roma - 12-Aug-2012 at 19:22
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2012 at 19:28
Actually as I've shown their is indeed archeological evidence. But in asnwer to your questions the sites of these battles are disputed and so accurate digging can't be done. Also many mass graves from history have yet to be found. The fact id Hannibal and the Second Punic War's existence is unquestionable until evidence is provided otherwise. We have to much written and archaeological evidence to dismiss him and the war.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2012 at 19:49

http://www.eehar.csic.es/docdow.php?id=125

http://casadevelazquez.academia.edu/RuthPliego/Papers/260177/Carthaginian_Garrisons_in_Turdetania_The_Monetary_Evidence

http://www.livius.org/ha-hd/hannibal/alps.html

This one shows a helmet from the Punic Wars.

http://alliance.la.asu.edu/dorn/Mahaney07.pdf

I'm sorry, for a second there I had thought you might have found evidence of Hannibal, but instead they do nothing of the sort, with the closest to doing so basing findings on fire rock which could in all reality have been done by anyone wanting to clear rock.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2012 at 20:04

Actually as I've shown their is indeed archeological evidence. But in asnwer to your questions the sites of these battles are disputed and so accurate digging can't be done. Also many mass graves from history have yet to be found. The fact id Hannibal and the Second Punic War's existence is unquestionable until evidence is provided otherwise. We have to much written and archaeological evidence to dismiss him and the war.
I didn't say anything about the second Punic war not existing, just aspects of it.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2012 at 20:04
It is almost impossible to find archeological evidence for a single man much less a man who was only a general not a ruler. Anyway my links provided evidence for the wars. Anyway do you have any evidence to refute the majority of modern historians and the ancient's histories?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>