Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fearsome critters!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fearsome critters!
    Posted: 03-Aug-2012 at 19:04

The old-time trappers and mountain men used to tell each other tall tales about the creatures they encountered in the wildnerness. This is a furry trout, which supposedly grew a mink-like coat to keep it warm in Alaska's freezing rivers
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2012 at 19:29
Jackalope.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2012 at 11:00
Hoop Snake.  It would hold it's tail in it's mouth and roll downhill toward you.Big smile
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2012 at 14:13
The snipe.

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2012 at 19:00
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

Jackalope.

Centrix, i saw a stuffed jackalope similar to this one when i visited Denver
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2012 at 20:53
Must of got him near the border with Wyoming....very tricky frickers and deadly with the horns when cornered. They are now extinct in Tejas and N. Mexico.

S. T. Friedman

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2012 at 13:35
My grandmother swore that she had been chased by a Hoop Snake when she was 12-13.  There, of course, is no such animal. 
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2012 at 13:54
Giant snakes.  There have long been stories, originating with the first trappers into the Appalchians, told of giant snakes existing in the mountainous regions of Penns. and West Virginia.  The site at the Civil War battlefield of Gettysburg, called "Devil's Den" was so named because of a black snake some 15 ft long.  It was called Ol Devil by the locals in the early 1800's, thus, Devil's Den.  Wiki has the story starting ca. 1855, but the origination is much earlier.

There is a story from my Grandmother's family in WVa. in which her brother was out hunting with 2 friends, they picked out a log on which to sit and have lunch.  The log moved when one of them went to sit down.  The log was a snake, in excess of 15 ft with a girth of approx 15-20 in.  Roy was an experienced outdoorsman and mountain folk.  Not prone to flights of fancy.  According to the story, he had a shot at it, but didn't shoot, as it was not what they were hunting for.
This is one of those rare instances where the legendary animal just might be real.

Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2012 at 14:10
Legendary! Sounds like a small anaconda.
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2012 at 16:02

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2012 at 19:14
Originally posted by red clay

Giant snakes.  There have long been stories, originating with the first trappers into the Appalchians, told of giant snakes existing in the mountainous regions of Penns. and West Virginia.  The site at the Civil War battlefield of Gettysburg, called "Devil's Den" was so named because of a black snake some 15 ft long.  It was called Ol Devil by the locals in the early 1800's, thus, Devil's Den.  Wiki has the story starting ca. 1855, but the origination is much earlier.

There is a story from my Grandmother's family in WVa. in which her brother was out hunting with 2 friends, they picked out a log on which to sit and have lunch.  The log moved when one of them went to sit down.  The log was a snake, in excess of 15 ft with a girth of approx 15-20 in.  Roy was an experienced outdoorsman and mountain folk.  Not prone to flights of fancy.  According to the story, he had a shot at it, but didn't shoot, as it was not what they were hunting for.
This is one of those rare instances where the legendary animal just might be real.

Sir Percy Fawcett apparently shot a giant anaconda in the Amazon, but was ridiculed for failing to bring a piece back as proof
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2012 at 19:09
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2012 at 23:18
Lot a eating.

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2012 at 19:21
Fossilised snakes like Gigantophis and Titanoboa have been discovered in South America and Africa. Perhaps these bones were the origin of the natives' giant snake myths?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2012 at 19:31
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

The snipe.

I thought a snipe was a real bird native to India? These were very small and fast, requiring the skills of an expert marksman
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2012 at 00:09
I cannot believe that someone, born into the English speaking world, has never heard of a "Snipe Hunt".  ShockedWink                       Big smile

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2012 at 00:47
coast to coast am does a lot of shows on fearsome or strange critters such as big foot, the swamp man, or others.

The Chuba Kabra is suppose to be one fearsome critter

Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2012 at 20:03
Originally posted by red clay

I cannot believe that someone, born into the English speaking world, has never heard of a "Snipe Hunt".  ShockedWink                       Big smile

English hunters shooting snipe during the 19th century
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2012 at 19:21
Having looked it up, "Snipe Hunt" is another name for the "fool's errand" or "wild goose chase." Red, bring me a left-handed wrench and a replacement sparkplug for my diesel engineLOL
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2012 at 00:50
The Woodcock is in some places referred to as a "Snipe". Obviously not the "Snipe" of legend.
Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>