Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRome: Total War mod Total Realism 6.0 Preview

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rome: Total War mod Total Realism 6.0 Preview
    Posted: 04-Oct-2005 at 21:31
I am sure there is a way you can mod it back. 

Abyssmal Fiend View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2005 at 21:49
The cheapass Sarmatian hordes actually spawned a massive debate, that eventually ended in Sarmatae being crippled. Armenian, Parthian, Thracian, Macedonian, and other nearby players were complaining that they were fighting endless hordes. And they probably were.

You can always go back and mod the units, though.

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2005 at 22:03
Hmm, yeah, they gave me a head ache as the Armenians, butonlybecause they attacked soon after Pontus and the Selucids declared war on me.
Arrrgh!!"
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2005 at 22:16
Seleucia? They're usually fighting Pontus/Armenia, Egypt, and Parthia/Bactria. On a good day. Add in Gaul in 6.0, and you've got a massive headache for a Seleucid player.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2005 at 23:08
They're taking a royal beating in my Maca game, and i havn;t even started on them yet.

Hmm, how much change in balencing is made in 6.1?
Maybe i'll make the patch after all and start the macas all over again.
Arrrgh!!"
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2005 at 05:51
I am playing Pontus now, what a challenge! Slowly grinding my way across Asia Minor, keeping Armenai as a quaint buffer state in my East (but not before taking 3 of their territories), holding the Crimea and about to betray my Ptolemaic allies to capture the reast of Anatolia. After that should hopefully begin invading the Balkans, will need to move the capital from Sinope to somewhere like Myetline of Byzantion.
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2005 at 19:50
The good thing about playing as Pontus is that the Seleucid provinces in the area tend to rebel making them vulnerable to Pontic expansion.

Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2005 at 21:27
Don't expand into the Balkans with the Ptolemaics as your enemies -- they're wreck you as you try to cross or simply trash your navy.

As for the patch, it basically adds 100 gold to every recruiting cost, but I dunno what they do to Sarmatian upkeep.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2005 at 21:43
As for the patch, it basically adds 100 gold to every recruiting cost, but I dunno what they do to Sarmatian upkeep.

Thats not much of a balencing act, it just hands the advantage even more to the rich factions.
Arrrgh!!"
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2005 at 23:18
Not really. Recruitment/upkeep costs directly reflect the riches your nation starts with, unless you're the Seleucids (who get boned in EVERY change). Greek units, obviously, cost more than Thracian units.

In fact, the game's set up actually hands the advantage to the poor factions. If Sarmatae takes Greece, they'd be unstoppable. Short tech trees combined with massive populations and cash. If Greece takes Sarmatae, though, they don't get much more than a dead opponent and brutal distance to capital penalties.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2005 at 04:02
Questions i've been pondering...

-Some faction leaders have the option for 'forced march', in addition to the percentage movement bonus. What exactly is the forced march bit?

-What is it with those cities that just won't gto no further? The population is 22,000ish, you have a good faction member running the place, tax is on the lowest and all the upgrades have been built, but zero growth? I've had to resort to building 5 units of hoplites in the 4 nearest towns to provide the 1200 odd extra population needed to reach the biggest city status, built the palace and get to building all the other goodies.
Needless to sy this method doesn't sit well with the notion of Rome: Total realism.

-Whats the most cost effective warship? I'm not exactly shor on cash, so i can build whatever, but still, i want the most efficient navies, economicly, so that when times are hard (as will no doubt happen when i expand into less wealthy provinces, and still need to field the armies to keep them), the bulk of my expenditure is on the army. I'm anal that way.

-Is it me, or assasins even more useless than the were before the patch/realism mod? The wimpiest target has got to be a rebel army leader (sans fancy rebel family member unit), and even that is a 31% chance. You have to accept that 4 or 5 will fail before one succeds and improves its talent, only to die on you when it has a 95% chance. Needless to say, it makes them next to useless, better to buy those rival faction diplomats and send them into early retirement somewhere. Annoying.
Arrrgh!!"
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2005 at 11:23
I never use assassins on captains because, what is the point? The captains automatically respawn. The most cost effective warship is the trireme because it takes two turns to build and is still a very good warship. I never got to 22,000 population cities because I am usually spending much money on the military.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2005 at 14:04
Assasins can kill those hordes of emmisonaries that wander around your territory, once you've killed the easiest thing to kill a few times that is.
Arrrgh!!"
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2005 at 14:26
I don't really care about enemy emissaries. They are just that, emisarries, not enemy units. I would rather spend the moeny on another unit of princepes.

Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2005 at 16:30
-Some faction leaders have the option for 'forced march', in addition to the percentage movement bonus. What exactly is the forced march bit?

They get a minor movement bonus. The larger is the one used, I don't think they stack. Forced March is just a Roman one, I think. Or that's Roman Marching.

-What is it with those cities that just won't gto no further? The population is 22,000ish, you have a good faction member running the place, tax is on the lowest and all the upgrades have been built, but zero growth? I've had to resort to building 5 units of hoplites in the 4 nearest towns to provide the 1200 odd extra population needed to reach the biggest city status, built the palace and get to building all the other goodies.
Needless to sy this method doesn't sit well with the notion of Rome: Total realism.

Those levels are hardcoded, I think. I'm going to push for higher health bonuses from sewers and such with Achilles -- he might flex. Caius didn't.

-Whats the most cost effective warship? I'm not exactly shor on cash, so i can build whatever, but still, i want the most efficient navies, economicly, so that when times are hard (as will no doubt happen when i expand into less wealthy provinces, and still need to field the armies to keep them), the bulk of my expenditure is on the army. I'm anal that way.

Corvus Quinquireme or whatever for the Romans is the best all-around ship. Other than that, I just use Triremes. The good thing is that if you take the coastal provinces from a player (or their major overseas Empire), they'll stop building ships. So you don't really need a standing fleet like you need a standing army. Or would it be floating fleet?

-Is it me, or assasins even more useless than the were before the patch/realism mod? The wimpiest target has got to be a rebel army leader (sans fancy rebel family member unit), and even that is a 31% chance. You have to accept that 4 or 5 will fail before one succeds and improves its talent, only to die on you when it has a 95% chance. Needless to say, it makes them next to useless, better to buy those rival faction diplomats and send them into early retirement somewhere. Annoying.

Sabotage buildings, I guess? I rarely touch them.

If you've got feedback, I'd love to see it. I'm already the Public Relations person with GameFAQs, what's AE?

Those minor units that wander around are useless. Fight battles that decide the fate of Empires.

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2005 at 05:07
Well am currently mopping up the last Ptolemaic possessions in Cyprus and west Anatolia at the moment. I don't think my impudent Armenian neighbour deserves to hold the province of Armenia, so I just destroyed his army and will capture his capital next turn. Provided he is realistic he will then settle to become a protectorate (shielding my southeasternmost flank from the Seleucids) and I will let his remaining 200 soldiers retain control of Atropatene (and their lives!). In the West the march against Macedonia continues after managing 10 heroic victories, most of them against enemy armies larger than 1000 men. Soon the Pontians can begin pouring into Thessaly. If I want even more action, I will wrest Northern Syria from the Seleucids who have not bothered to guard it properly.

I agree about the assassins, it is so annoying that it takes so long to build them up and then you lose them.

One thing that is really bugging me is the whole "unrest" thing in my cities' public order bar. What (aside from governor traits) causes this? I seem to notice that when a spy successfully infiltrates that there is more unrest, but that doesnt explain all of the unrest my cities experience. And how do you stop spies infiltrating your cities anyway?
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2005 at 05:52
For unrest, just have decent armies in town. My typical town has 3 of the cheapest Hoplite types units, and one archer, the border towns (which tend to be further away from the capital), same 3 holites and 3 archers, plus extras (usualy any missile mercenaries or extras i have hanging around).
Arrrgh!!"
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 16:34
I lower tax rates to lower unrest.

Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 20:04
If you get a govenor in there with high tax rates, and the city doesn't revolt, he'll probably get some decent traits. At least, I think they do. And build lots.

Leave large armies stationed outside of your cities (to avoid the plague), and leave roughly the same size force at every fourth province or so to defend your borders. That's how I do it once I can't expand, which is very, very rare.

Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 20:38
RTR 6.2 is supposed to come out any day now.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>