Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Demir Baba Teke

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Demir Baba Teke
    Posted: 25-Jul-2012 at 09:35
I just came form a 3 week trip to NE Bulgaria, covering large amount of towns and cities, exploring their museums and taking pictures. I'd seen Biala, Russe, Shumen, Razgrad, Varna, Balchik, Svesthari with the Thracian Tombs, Obzor, kranevo /and beat the waves on the last 2/, but m,y real surprize came from a little place called Demir Baba Teke  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demir_Baba_Teke.

I bought a book about in in Svesthari, because there was a Thracian temple of the Great Mother Goddess there, so I went to see it with my own eyes. The remains of the Thracian temple is in the base of the temple of the Muslim Shiites /here called Aleiani, they are Alevi/; and there is something on the cliffs that start from the temple that looks like a horse head. So I decided to climb the cliffs to see it up close; there are also holes in the cliffs, one trianglular, one eliptic and one round, they look man-made and I connect then with the cult to the Great Mother Goddess/. I took picts, but I cannot post them now, it has to be when I come back. Anyway, it took me about 3 hours to climb on a little dangerous path that vanished all the time among rocks and trees, and to get up on the surface; but it was worth it.Smile

This place deserves it's own thread, on which I'll write later as I read the book; here now some pist I found on the net.
On this link is a pict of the remains of the Thracian temple
http://www.milarodino.com/images/objects/thumb_435/image_2942.jpeg

Here you can see the cliffs that I climbed /on a diagonal path, that took me a long way in the right/
http://www.infotourism.net/documents/11841_DemirBabaTekkeandThracianSanctuarySboryanovoBulgaria.jpg

And the horse head I mentioned:
http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/5a/36/da/caption.jpg

Edited by Don Quixote - 25-Jul-2012 at 09:36
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2012 at 10:24
Is there any dating on this?
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2012 at 12:22
Interesting, but as far I know, the Sveshtari tomb is considered Getic, not Thracian, so the temple may too be Getic?

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2012 at 14:02
Artifacts are typical "Greek" as I can see.Smile
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2012 at 02:48
Menumorit, the Geths are Thracians. The name "Thracians" is a collective name, not a name of a tribe, much like "Celtic"; Geths is a tribal name. So the Geths are Thracians as well as Geths, and the whole Svesthari area is considered a Gethic city, I got a book on it but I haven't read it yet.
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2012 at 02:51
The Thracians had a certain level of Hellenization, Master of Meanings, even though not deep. They kept the Great Mother Goddess, and supposedly the cariatids in the Svesthari tomb are aspects of her; the interesting part is that they represent different women, with different faces and ages. They are too rough if we compare them with the Greek art, and keeping the ceiling to me speaks of holding the world in place - what every mother-goddess does.

Edited by Don Quixote - 02-Aug-2012 at 02:52
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2012 at 02:53
As for the dating, Red Clay, there have to be in the book I bought on it, but I have to read it first - which is not going to happen in the next 2 weeks for sure. When I find info on this I'll post it :).
 Post Reply Post Reply