Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Texas, New Jersey

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Texas, New Jersey
    Posted: 22-Jul-2012 at 19:54
Originally posted by Toltec

If they were makin matches most likely they all died of Phossy Jaw.

Not a pleasant way to go
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2012 at 18:18
I don't know what that is, but I can tell you that the last head chemist was still alive in the mid 60's.
"Pop" Gibb was in his late 80's and very healthy.

Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2012 at 13:35
If they were makin matches most likely they all died of Phossy Jaw.
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
Phosphorus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Phosphorus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2012 at 13:05
Interesting topic. These forgotten dots hold a lot of stories to relate.
I wonder how come it was called "Texas". Was it named after the state? Did its residents came all the way from Texas to Jersey?
Quaere Verum
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2012 at 12:33
New Jersey has long been famous for it's "Forgotten Towns".  Dots on the map, that were once thriving towns, or the remainders of somones dreams that didn't quite make it.  I have written about Archaeology and History out your back door,  approx. 2 miles from my home is one of those dots,  Actually my house sits on one.  Irish Wharf is what the area where my home is now was called in the 1800's - early 20's.  The dot 2 miles away was a town called "Texas".  Population at it's peak was roughly 200.  Texas was where the first mass produced phosphorus tipped kitchen matches were made.  The Rancocas River was navigable back then.  They brought shiploads of raw phosphorus into "The Port of Rancocas".  Another dot.
In the 1890's Diamond Match bought out the factory, workers houses, company store, everything.  They shut the plant down and dismantled everything, factory houses, everything.  After the Turnpike went through there wasn't even a cellar hole to show a town had been there.  If it wasn't this type of action,forest fires and economic "panics" did in other "dots".

To my knowledge, this is the only image of the Factory at it's peak.

Image credit- Paul Tschopp

Edited by red clay - 25-Jul-2012 at 10:47
 Post Reply Post Reply