Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Medieval Europe Stopping Mongols Speculation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AlphaS520 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote AlphaS520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Medieval Europe Stopping Mongols Speculation
    Posted: 18-Jul-2012 at 11:44
Originally posted by benzin

The mongols suffered huge casualties in many of their battles, against Moravia for example, but in some Polish and Hungarian battles they lost many thousand of people too. When they splitted up, they became defeatable. The main force lost sometime as well, even against the Volga Bulgarians.

As I mentioned they didnt invade or couldnt capture 160 fortified cities/castles only in Hungary.
They didnt capture West Hungary wich is more montainous than the eastern part (they had the time for that but they didnt do it)

Also it was part of their tactics to capture the ruler of certain country. In case of Hungary, they chased Bela IV. for a year but couldnt capture him. They didnt move on until they capture him, they were standing here for a year.

I cant tell you exactly how much time it would take to conquer a country completely, but we can make a wild guess, because in the case of Hungary, it took more than a year, and they conquered only the half of it.

So in the case of whole europe I guess a 10 years time is quite possible.

Their tactics in europe would be very well known in this period of time, western europe has time to set up and leave other conflicts until this treat wich I truly think would overwrite all other among these nations.

I think they would end just like the Huns did. The situation is comparable, Europe was almost defenceless against the Hunnic army, but at the end they had to turn back, they lost too many men in their hundreds of battles.

Bela the IV. denied to pay tax to the mongols after they left Hungary. He dared to do it because he seriously thought the mongols are defeatable only by Hungary itself. He knew exactly what kind of tactical mistakes his army made in the Muhi battle, and when he restabilized his power he gained contrel over huge forces were not available to him in 1241 (nobles, cuman force). (His army were the same size in the Muhi battle as the mongols)

I'm sorry, but it's really starting to seem as if you are insulting the Mongol conquest of Europe and Subotai's achievements, and their tactical and strategic skills. 

After defeating and annihilating the Russians with minimum casualties (casualties unknown, as it is so little), Subotai divided his army when invading Hungary, with 20,000 on the flanks to keep Poland distracted. 2 years before the invasion of Europe, he have sent numerous spies to Poland and Hungary, some sources even as far into Austria. In the battle of Legnica, the casualties of the Polish army (which consisted of several others in aid) was heavy, while the casualties of the Mongols was also unknown, this is the most important thing you must understand. In most of Subotai's battle in Europe, the casualties was unknown due to the fact that there was simply... so little.

The reason for the extreme minimum casualties, is due to the fact that the Polish army failed for every tactical moves of the Mongols. In one battle, the Mongols have defeated the combined forces of Poland, German and the Czechs, with aid from the Pope and several nobilities. It is inaccurate to claim that the Mongols lost casualties up to thousands. They managed to cause confusion in the enemy army, they manage to separate the enemy army, they manage to route the separated enemy army easily, they successfully execute deception and blocked the enemy views with smoke screens, they surrounded certain parts of the separated enemy in seconds. If you study the battle, the combined defending forces of Poland did not know what was going on, they just got annihilated, myth of huge Mongol armies are false, as Mongols always know how to make the enemy seem like they appear from everywhere. I should also note that the Mongols defeated the army of Hungary and Poland within two days, the Hungarians pitch battles follow the same fate as the Polish pitch battles.

The Mongols never captures the west because Ogedei Khan is dead. There are sources which suggests that Subotai have planned the invasion of the Holy Roman Empire.

They didn't attempt to conquer Hungary, as you may know, however, they did devastated Hungary. The strategic plan devised by Subotai, was originally to invade, not to conquer, especially when there's much more opportunity to achieve in Song China, and the fact that European countries are poor.

After the Mongol retreat, I can assure you that mainland Europe did not care as much. When Austria begged for help, due to several Mongols raids, and the fact that they realized the deadly situation they are in. After the Mongol retreat, the main power of Europe, the Papacy and the Empire, acted as though nothing have happened, and Europe continued their conflicts with each other, similar to the Warring States in China.

The Huns were not like the Mongols, the Mongols were much more professional. And by the time Mongols invaded Europe, Europe was actually in poverty, hence, the dark ages.

I don't understand where you get the sources that Hungary have ever defeated Mongols army, except from repelling pretty raids. The Khan have died. You must know that Bale the IV have failed in every military resistance against the Mongols, the fact that the Mongols are leaving gave him confidence.

Afterwards, the Mongols realized how Europe was just another poor collections of country, that is why they concentrated their full attention on Song China.

Conquering the whole of Europe would require more then 10 years or 20 years, but being repelled? Huh, Subotai was never defeated in Europe, if he continued, all would have fall.
benzin View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote benzin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2012 at 11:50
I have only one question, are you mongolian ? :)
AlphaS520 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Suspended

Quote AlphaS520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2012 at 11:51
Born in Hong Kong, currently living in England, educated in England. 
benzin View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote benzin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2012 at 11:55
According to your profile you are 15 years old wich is quite believable.
Sorry for hurting your feelings about the mongols :)
AlphaS520 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Suspended

Quote AlphaS520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2012 at 11:57
Why? Most historians obviously understands that the Mongol have the ability to destroy all of Europe, such as they did to Russia, Eastern Europe, Middle-East, Whole of China etc All combined bigger then the entire Europe, a lot.

If you're trying the "immature" approach or any form of trolling, then so be it.
benzin View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote benzin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2012 at 12:36
No, I really appreciate that you are so passionate about history. You know quite a lot about history comsidering your age, but still there is lot to learn, not only about history but about how people act in different situations. If you are getting older trust me you will understand what Im talking about.Until that its totally pointless to argue, this is your "belief" noone will convince you about the opposite no matter what would he say.
AlphaS520 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Suspended

Quote AlphaS520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2012 at 14:00
What a joke you are.
Your theories that the Mongols are unable to maintain their army due to loses throughout their campaigns is completely flawed. And just because I'm 15, you immediately come to the conclusion that you are more intelligent or so such.

You must be male, usually wanting to maintain their ego, what a joke.
I prefer when you back up your statement, please continue your debate, as all your theories, not only is flawed in perception of my view, but also by a considerable amount of other historians.

Now, if you're such an adult, and you act like... a superior to me, please correct your grammar or spellings, especially when English is my second language, such as "comsidering" in your sentence.

Get real, continue the debate, otherwise, you have no arguments against the fact that Europe will be unable to fight of a organized and persistent Mongol army. Do you know that there are certain stereotypes in Asia that Europeans and native US are slow and have a lower intelligence, this must be what they meant.

The animalistic assumption of superiority from you, because you might be older. Please, continue your debate, and support your statement, otherwise, it is you that still have a lot to learn, not me.
swordman View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote swordman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2012 at 01:15
Alpha you are extremely ignorant of both history and basic military logistics.  Firstly as has been pointed out to you numerous times the Mongols lost multiple battles in Hungary, and could not penetrate past the eastern half of that country.  When they returned they could not make hardly any progress, and thus were repulsed.  Get over it.

Secondly, if we are to entertain your ridiculous question, which really is the following:  "If we take the Mongolian Horde (or organized army as you like to keep putting it) at its peak strength, and take all of the men in China and move them to Europe, while simultaneously taking all of the scientific and military advances gained from attacking China, and using that information against Europe, could the Mongols have conquered Europe?  The answer to that is *possibly*. 

Before we get to why the answer is only *possibly* let's address why your question is extraordinarily stupid, and why you should think more before trolling for the Mongols.  Number one, the Mongols picked up enormous amounts of military expertise from fighting the chinese.  Their siege tech, some of their metallurgy, and a variety of other key pieces of military technology were acquired directly from the Chinese.  Now, you are doing your best to claim that the Mongols can take fortified cities (by the way, they were not very good at this) and yet you are keeping them out of their China campaign.  You can't have it both ways.  Either they get siege tech from China (which they only beat due to infighting and buying off the chinese, they did not beat them militarily) and thus do not have that manpower to divert to Europe, or they get siege tech and lack the manpower.  Choose one.  Two you clearly do not understand how payment towards soldiers currently works, and certainly how it has worked historically.  If you think that the Mongols could have attracted anywhere near the number of troops to attack Europe as they were able to acquire to attack rich China, you are out of your mind.  In other words, they could NEVER have had their "full" strength focusing on Europe, since they could never have generated the wealth to pay an equal number of troops. 

Now moving onto logistics, which you have absolutely zero grasp of, but is the singularly most important aspect of war to anyone that has a clue (hint: not you).  Mongolian armies relied upon vast amounts of grassland to feed their horses.  Each soldier would have 3-4 mounts with him on a campaign, and these mounts would be rotated through in order to keep them all well enough rested.  Europe is primarily mountains and forests.  Please explain how the Mongols would have fed their horses.  Seriously, give it a try.  They had nothing even remotely resembling the Roman supply lines.   Although if they did they would have moved monumentally slower than they did, and would have been very vulnerable to counterattacks. 

*Also a note here your idea that the Mongolian army moved 100 miles per day is ridiculous.  Saying something that stupid is the equivalent of saying that Mongolian army was financed by leprechauns sharing their gold from the other side of the rainbow.* 

To continue on with European topography, let us ask what other features are prevalent throughout Europe?  Oh right, mountains.  Now alpha, do you know how well horses do over mountains?  Do you know how well horse armies do over mountains?  Even if they could make it through, despite the lack of food to feed the beasts, can you say ambush city? 

So, to summarize, you pose a ridiculous question whereby you take the mongols at peak military technology and peak military size, and ask if they could conquer Europe at an arbitrary timepoint when Europe was fairly weak.  And the answer is only maybe.  If you were more realistic and asked about a timepoint 100 years into the future we could take your question and provide a conclusion answer.  NO CHANCE IN HELL.  The Mongols would've been smoked.  Once plate armor on the mounted knight became more common, in conjunction with advances like the Longbow, and improvements in European siege tech, the Mongols would have been smashed to bits.

Now to enlighten you with a tiny bit more history.  This battle did take place a few hundred years later.  All remnants of the Mongols came into contact with Europeans, and just to let you know what happened, they got smoked.  You sound like a big time hater of caucasoids, and a big time lover of mongoloids.  But looking back over history you should realize one extremely undeniable reality.  When it comes to waging war and conquering, the people of caucasoid descent are far and away better than all others.
Delenda est Roma View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2012 at 01:56
Good points but using stupid was inconsiderate.
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2012 at 02:18
My associate is correct...tone down your rudeness and inconsiderate elluciation or your position will be gone...which is to say....
using my speech and my vernacular...because trust me I am more then an intellectual match for your ego...your ass will be gone. Period.
You have been informally warned.
Play again with me or another's whose interest is as keen but perhaps not as well as informed as yours and I will personally see it.

Bet.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2012 at 02:53
Originally posted by swordman

Alpha you are extremely ignorant of both history and basic military logistics. 

So, to summarize, you pose a ridiculous question whereby you take the mongols at peak military technology and peak military size, and ask if they could conquer Europe at an arbitrary timepoint when Europe was fairly weak. 

Now to enlighten you with a tiny bit more history. 

swordman, please refrain yourself from derrogatory remarks like the first one, and of hauthy ones like the second and third one. We are here to talk about history with mutual respect and understanding, not to insult each other.

I fully concur with CV as to the warning part.

Edited by Don Quixote - 18-Aug-2012 at 02:55
swordman View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote swordman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2012 at 13:16
I apologize for the charged language.  It was unnecessary and uncalled for.  I suppose that I got worked up while reading his responses and writing my own, and let an emotional reaction get the best of me.  Apologies to all. 
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2012 at 13:24
Thats the spirit mate. You really made a nice argument mate. People take you more seriously if you're polite to them. Anyway I can see this from your viewpoint and your conclusion is close to my own.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2012 at 13:27
Anyway the Mongols supply lines are too stretches to effectively campaign in central and western europe.
swordman View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote swordman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2012 at 22:59
Wanted to add that I just reread my post and it was plain nasty.  I wanted to make a point, not be nasty, and wanted to offer apologies again.

The Mongol supply lines is an interesting point.  Near as I can tell from all of the history I have studied, the Mongols (as we generally imagine them) did not have "supply lines" in the traditional sense of a civilization from antiquity (like the Romans).  Due to each soldier keeping multiple mounts the Mongols would drink horse milk, eat horse meat, occasionally (at least allegedly) drink horse blood, and otherwise would live off of the land.  While this does not require the traditional wagon train as we imagine it, it implies an absolute dependence upon extremely large areas of grassland for the grazing of their horses.  Without ample grassland their entire logistics system is dead in the water.  This is one reason why I question some of the tales of Mongolian numbers in some of their larger engagements.  The amount of grassland required to feed 4 horses * 40,000 soldiers is absolutely enormous.  I suspect (but have no proof) that the tremendous Mongolian success has led to somewhat of an inflation of their numbers both to soothe the ego of the conquered, as well as the difficulty actually estimating troop numbers from their rapid movement tactics.  Pre WWII Hitler would take a single panzer division and drive it around a city multiple times during a parade to make it appear that he had many more tanks that he actually did, I would not be at all surprised if the same phenomenon occurred with attempting to estimate Mongolian numbers.  It would be fitting, since the panzer division was essentially a modern mechanized system of Mongolian warfare.

As to the susceptibility of Europe, many many issues are important.  Absolutely the lack of large supportive grasslands would severely hamper the traditional mongolian tactics, but there are many other factors at play as well.  European metallurgy was extraordinary by the high middle ages/renaissance period.  At that point European armor was nearly indestructible.  But, from a weapons point of view, I have had an interesting experience recently that is somewhat relevant.

I have used both compound and recurve bows since I was fairly young, and have been hunting for years.  I recently however picked up my first crossbow (recurve, not compound).  Despite years of exposure to traditional vertical bows I can already shoot the crossbow better and more accurately over a longer range.  Zero learning curve whatsoever.  All hunting here is done in the woods, no grasslands.  Both vertical bows and crossbows work very well, the only minor limitation of the crossbow is that its width can get in the way in certain situations. 

So to sum all of this up more succinctly.  Crossbows allow me to fire an arrow with more power than a vertical bow does, despite years of work with the former (experts can shoot slightly better with a vertical bow, but very few can).  Additionally crossbows can be fired fairly rapidly without any fatigue whatsoever.  Pulling a 70# compound bow will wear you out fairly quickly, a recurve bow is considerably worse than this.  Also from hunting in the woods I can tell you with plenty of confidence that horseback archery would be extraordinarily difficult, and not at all effective. 

Bottom line, with the large presence of crossbows, and knowledge to make said crossbows, I don't think any foreign force (Mongols or otherwise) would stand a chance in the heavily forested sections of Europe against a group of natives playing guerilla warfare / ambush games.  I have always been familiar with the idea that a crossbow was easier to use than a vertical bow, but I never had any idea it was this much easier.  The Mongols suffered heavy losses to xbows in Poland, I think that the crossbow would have played an enormous factor in the downfall of any european invasion. 

I am looking into purchasing or attempting to make a historically accurate crossbow from the late middle ages now that my curiosity has been piqued.  I am also beginning to look into the military history of the crossbow from roughly the fall of Rome until the heavy usage of gunpowder in the sixteenth century.  With the frequent use of peasants in European armies I would be shocked if the crossbow did not play a larger role in battle than I had heretofore thought.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2012 at 23:41
A very good post! Your points are very well made and well thought out. Sheer lack of fodder for horses would stop this scenario.
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2012 at 02:13
Wanted to add that I just reread my post and it was plain nasty.  I wanted to make a point, not be nasty, and wanted to offer apologies again.

The Mongol supply lines is an interesting point.  Near as I can tell from all of the history I have studied, the Mongols (as we generally imagine them) did not have "supply lines" in the traditional sense of a civilization from antiquity (like the Romans).  Due to each soldier keeping multiple mounts the Mongols would drink horse milk, eat horse meat, occasionally (at least allegedly) drink horse blood, and otherwise would live off of the land.  While this does not require the traditional wagon train as we imagine it, it implies an absolute dependence upon extremely large areas of grassland for the grazing of their horses.  Without ample grassland their entire logistics system is dead in the water.  This is one reason why I question some of the tales of Mongolian numbers in some of their larger engagements.  The amount of grassland required to feed 4 horses * 40,000 soldiers is absolutely enormous.  I suspect (but have no proof) that the tremendous Mongolian success has led to somewhat of an inflation of their numbers both to soothe the ego of the conquered, as well as the difficulty actually estimating troop numbers from their rapid movement tactics.  Pre WWII Hitler would take a single panzer division and drive it around a city multiple times during a parade to make it appear that he had many more tanks that he actually did, I would not be at all surprised if the same phenomenon occurred with attempting to estimate Mongolian numbers.  It would be fitting, since the panzer division was essentially a modern mechanized system of Mongolian warfare.

As to the susceptibility of Europe, many many issues are important.  Absolutely the lack of large supportive grasslands would severely hamper the traditional mongolian tactics, but there are many other factors at play as well.  European metallurgy was extraordinary by the high middle ages/renaissance period.  At that point European armor was nearly indestructible.  But, from a weapons point of view, I have had an interesting experience recently that is somewhat relevant.

I have used both compound and recurve bows since I was fairly young, and have been hunting for years.  I recently however picked up my first crossbow (recurve, not compound).  Despite years of exposure to traditional vertical bows I can already shoot the crossbow better and more accurately over a longer range.  Zero learning curve whatsoever.  All hunting here is done in the woods, no grasslands.  Both vertical bows and crossbows work very well, the only minor limitation of the crossbow is that its width can get in the way in certain situations. 

So to sum all of this up more succinctly.  Crossbows allow me to fire an arrow with more power than a vertical bow does, despite years of work with the former (experts can shoot slightly better with a vertical bow, but very few can).  Additionally crossbows can be fired fairly rapidly without any fatigue whatsoever.  Pulling a 70# compound bow will wear you out fairly quickly, a recurve bow is considerably worse than this.  Also from hunting in the woods I can tell you with plenty of confidence that horseback archery would be extraordinarily difficult, and not at all effective. 

Bottom line, with the large presence of crossbows, and knowledge to make said crossbows, I don't think any foreign force (Mongols or otherwise) would stand a chance in the heavily forested sections of Europe against a group of natives playing guerilla warfare / ambush games.  I have always been familiar with the idea that a crossbow was easier to use than a vertical bow, but I never had any idea it was this much easier.  The Mongols suffered heavy losses to xbows in Poland, I think that the crossbow would have played an enormous factor in the downfall of any european invasion. 

I am looking into purchasing or attempting to make a historically accurate crossbow from the late middle ages now that my curiosity has been piqued.  I am also beginning to look into the military history of the crossbow from roughly the fall of Rome until the heavy usage of gunpowder in the sixteenth century.  With the frequent use of peasants in European armies I would be shocked if the crossbow did not play a larger role in battle than I had heretofore thought.
[/QUOTE]

You did it... it is appreciated. Carry on.
As for exuberence you demonstrate it and knowledge. And for that we/I appreciate your contributions and willingness to share them.

CV

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 20-Aug-2012 at 02:13
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2012 at 12:54
I would have to go with the Germanic tribes.  Fighting on their own territory, closely confining, heavily wooded terrain, they probably would have negated much of the Mongol tactical advantages, just as the used those same skills to defeat the Romans.

I'm not sure how the Mongols would have fared in the cold, damp climate of Europe.  They were hardy specimens, but...

Since neither side was likely to be inclined to give any quarter, it would have been bloody beyond belief.
heyamigos View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote heyamigos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2012 at 06:45
The Golden Horde (Batu's kingdom) saw no need to advance another European attack because the kingdoms he devastated earlier were not advanced.  Unlike the Mongols in China and Persia, where the nomadic elite had to entrench themselves and set up court in the vast lands they conquered.  This was not the case in Europe (no offense intended).  They basically came, saw, ravished and left.  They were content to set up their own steppe capitals and collected taxes from the subject Slavic people instead.

Had Batu and Subodei advanced further (with or after the khan's funeral), they would have faced the same situation as Attila's Huns did earlier in France, Germany and Italy.  They would have rode, ravished, plundered and recede back to the steppes because there wasn't much to hold on to.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2012 at 10:37
They couldn't have held it. At sagar river Subotri was crushed by a European barbarian tribe.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12