Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vinca Symbols

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
VIncaSymbols View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote VIncaSymbols Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vinca Symbols
    Posted: 12-Jul-2012 at 15:12
 Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me? I'm an amateur historian with a passion for ancient symbolism, and I've been looking at the Vinca culture symbols for a little while now. Recently I may have made a breakthrough which would help confirm what others have said about particular symbols, and shows what some symbols are and their purpose. As I am an amateur, gleaning what research I can from the internet, I have no idea whether what I've found is already common knowledge, so don't want to make a fool of myself proclaiming any great discoveries to academia just yet:)

What I'd like to do instead is to talk informally to someone who is involved in research into the Vinca, just to find out what is already known about various aspects of their symbolism.  What do forum members suggest I do to continue?
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2012 at 17:21
Not my fortay....even though I know the basics and the controversies and theorems posited by Gimbutas.
But stick around be patient and others will no doubt opine.

Nice to have ya here.
CV
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2012 at 19:09
The Vinca alphabet, like many other ancient civilisations, has a swastika. It's thought this was derived from a comet passing exceptionally close to the earth thousands of years ago
http://www.omniglot.com/writing/vinca.htm
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote VIncaSymbols Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2012 at 03:35
 Thanks, though if what I have here is correct, that may not be the case.

I know how my post must sound, and I realise that the likelihood of me having actually made some real headway in this is improbable with so many good minds on the subject. So many people post to forums about their pet theories and I'm sure I must seem like yet another:) Although I'm deeply interested in ancient languages of course I have no credibility at all.

It's hard to know exactly what to do next, but obviously I'm preparing all the evidence I have available - though really it is self-evident.

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2012 at 03:46
Cause I have spent few weeks in Vinca 30 years before just post your theory here!SmileHave i mentioned here wonderful nights spent in Lepenski Vir hotel?!?Big smileThat was Time of Drama.Once we were Young and Green,now we are Green only!LOL

Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote VIncaSymbols Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2012 at 03:58
 I'd prefer not to at this stage to be honest. There are many reasons for this, but primarily this is something I've come across literally in the last two days and so I'm still in the process of going back over everything I have to see if it pans out. I'd also like to continue exploring for myself, as right or wrong, I can't deny that I haven't felt this excited for years:)

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2012 at 06:14
Let the Force be with You than!Smile
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2012 at 15:04
Originally posted by Nick1986

The Vinca alphabet, like many other ancient civilisations, has a
swastika. It's thought this was derived from a comet passing
exceptionally close to the earth thousands of years ago

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/vinca.htm

I think there are very few and isolated discoveries with these signs and there is no proof that it was an alphabet, maybe just some decorative intentions. Also, there is no proof that the use of these signs continued later.

Swastika is a decdorative sign used in almost all cultures. For example, this is a Cucuteni pot. The well documented and studied Cucuteni culture (5-4th millenia BCE) didn't use writing.

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2012 at 19:15
Here's a map of the Vinca civilisation which also includes parts of Hungary and Yugoslavia:
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=zKFFOoPlyjIC&lpg=PA271&dq=vinca&pg=PA23#v=onepage&q&f=false
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote VIncaSymbols Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2012 at 06:28
 It's now looking more and more likely that what I have is accurate, so I'm currently writing a paper on it all to submit to the Bulgarian and other museums. I must admit to being a quite cynical person, but even I'm beginning to be overwhelmed with certainty - a dangerous thing in archaeology:) It's one of those silly thing that you don't realise how obvious it is until well, you've realised how obvious it is.

As I say above, I'm an amateur, so even beginning to assume that I have a meaning of the Tartalaka set and the origin of many other previously unknown symbols is a bit odd to say the least. What interests me just as much is how it illustrates the nature of the civilisation and its motivation. Fascinating stuff if it's true, but we'll see.

benzin View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote benzin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2012 at 11:04
Its Tatárlaka and not Tartalaka first of all. You have to know that the findings of Tatarlaka, the symbols in the clay may be fake. The archeologist got them from one of his workers, they were unburn clay, and they burnt it. Therefore its age is impossible to find out, also its originality. Of course they may be original, but because of these reasons its doubted by many.

If you think you found out something interesting let us know. I know some historicians I can ask if its worth to.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2012 at 11:26
Originally posted by benzin

Its Tatárlaka and not Tartalaka first of all. You have to know that the findings of Tatarlaka, the symbols in the clay may be fake. The archeologist got them from one of his workers, they were unburn clay, and they burnt it. Therefore its age is impossible to find out, also its originality. Of course they may be original, but because of these reasons its doubted by many.

If you think you found out something interesting let us know. I know some historicians I can ask if its worth to.

I don't know where you obtained that information, but it's false.  There are many examples of these symbols on tablets.  This smells of deliberate misinformation by someone.  They perhaps have an agenda of there own.
Benzin, could you provide us with a source for this info. 
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2012 at 15:04
Oh tis interesting stuff....but whether it's a religion of the ancients has yet to be definitely established...and that apparently is the most recent fad associated. See the links:

Appears to predate more noted to include the writing of the early Vedic, Sumer and others.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 19-Jul-2012 at 15:11

S. T. Friedman

benzin View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote benzin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2012 at 19:46
Originally posted by red clay

Its Tatárlaka and not Tartalaka first of all. You have to know that the findings of Tatarlaka, the symbols in the clay may be fake. The archeologist got them from one of his workers, they were unburn clay, and they burnt it. Therefore its age is impossible to find out, also its originality. Of course they may be original, but because of these reasons its doubted by many. If you think you found out something interesting let us know. I know some historicians I can ask if its worth to.

I don't know where you obtained that information, but it's false.  There are many examples of these symbols on tablets.  This smells of deliberate misinformation by someone.  They perhaps have an agenda of there own.

Benzin, could you provide us with a source for this info. 

Sure. You can read about it in english here :
http://www.prehistory.it/ftp/tartaria_tablets/tartaria_tablets_10.htm

The tartaria tablets found when there were no archeologist around, in a pit wich was already searched before, it was the closing of that day's search.
A restorer baked the tablets in an electric oven after that !!

so, even if there is a lot wich is clearly original the ones at tartaria is not 100% sure. I may accept that they are not fakes, but how can we be sure after knowing the circumstances. Still dont believe me ?
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote VIncaSymbols Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2012 at 03:38
 As I'm digging deeper into external sources I'm finding more references to the commonly found symbol V
           III

with some saying that it's meaning is now known. Does anyone here have information on its decipherment?

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2012 at 04:30
V=Co could be palm digits number which is 5 still(even if is rotated),III is God=BoGo=Spiritual Body!As I told you before I am working with Ancient Egyptian now.
P.S.
Only God can walk arisen everywhere:I I I(The First Her)On Earth-Beneath the surface-On Heaven!GoSPoDa=Master's sign is ///(Mother's on Earth/beneath it/on Heaven) pushed down in front of God!!!Smile

Edited by medenaywe - 07-Aug-2012 at 14:41
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2012 at 19:12
[QUOTE=medenaywe]V=Co could be palm digits number which is 5 still,III is God=BoGo=Spiritual Body!As I told you before I am working with Ancient Egyptian now.
P.S.
Only Gods can walk arisen everywhere:I I IOn Earth-Beneath the surface-On Heaven!GoSPoDa=Master's sign is /// pushed down in front of God!!!Smile
[/QUOTE
So you're saying the Vinca saw themselves as "God's people"?
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2012 at 20:09

The tartaria tablets found when there were no archeologist around, in a pit wich was already searched before, it was the closing of that day's search.

Vlassa, the one who discovred them, was an archaeologist.

so, even if there is a lot wich is clearly original the ones at tartaria is not 100% sure. I may accept that they are not fakes, but how can we be sure after knowing the circumstances. Still dont believe me ?

They have been dated (or the archaeological environment they were found in) with C14 and found to be 7300 years old.

And what purpose could have Vlassa to falsificate these tablets? He initially even didn't know how old they are or what they represent.

I've read more about the Vinca signs and it seems it was a primitive form of writing, although not phonetic, only symbolic.

Edited by Menumorut - 04-Aug-2012 at 20:10

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2012 at 21:05
First discovered by Torma in 1875 at Turdas. Vasic then found more in Vinca in 1908. Vlassa gets credit for the tablets at Tartaria in 1961 and re-stimulating the interest.

S. T. Friedman

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2013 at 09:09
I suppose Egyptian kids learned to write,were Vinca symbols...Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>