Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ancient archeological locations in your country

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ancient archeological locations in your country
    Posted: 01-May-2005 at 18:56

List and show the ancient sites in your country
(I hope this has not been already made. I looked though)

BUTRINT
 Butrint was an ancient city and lived up until the later Byzantine age. Originally a big port city however due to the growing marshes in the area or a general decline in economy lowered its population until it was basically nothing. It was discovered in the 40's and new discoveries are still being made. The place lies in southern Albania near a city called Sarande. In the city a Amphitheater was discovered. Along with a bathhouse an an old  baptisterium.

fficial%26sa%3DN"> 

Edited by Iskender Bey ALBO
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2005 at 20:35
nice pictures man wonder where you got the signature pic.
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2005 at 07:15

Over 1000 stone circles,

Mysterious ancient carvings in chalk hills

Hill forts,

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2005 at 12:11

Here are a few from the many we can find in Greece.

Treasury of Atreus tholos tomb at Mycenae (c1400 BC)

The Ancient City of Athens: Agora -The Kerameikos

Another part of The Ancient City of Athens: The area is called Brauron

Ancient Macedonian capital of Aigai found in Vergina in the province of Macedonia.

Ancient Olympia

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2005 at 12:27
We do not have much in the state of Wasington. The tribes on the coast were fairly advanced but wood rots, especially in wet Washington state. The coastal tribes were great warriors but also known for taking their enemies head as a trophy, sort of like what the Celts did. They found the remains of a village buried under a land slide a few years back.

reconstruction

http://www.plankhouse.org/default.htm
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2005 at 21:38

Thunder Bird Rock Painting on shelf of cliff.
http://www.wcwcw.com/feature70.htm
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2005 at 10:02
For history visit Turkey(and greece,the two neighbours)we have so many that i can't post
"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Ionian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Ionian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2005 at 10:35
Originally posted by aknc

For history visit Turkey(and greece,the two neighbours)we have so many that i can't post
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2005 at 17:32
Well dont spoil it because Im visiting Greece this year. I never went before 

Edited by Iskender Bey ALBO
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 08:48

We also have many. Some of they are:

Perperikon - Thracain town

Plovdiv - Thracain /Pupuldeva/,Hellenic /Phillipopullous/, Romes /Trimountium/, Turkish /Filibe/ and today just Plovdiv

Veliko Tarnovo - Tsarevec, Bulgarian town 

Pliska - Bulgarain town

Preslav - again Bulgarian

Serdica - Sofia

and much more....

Everybody listen only this which understands.
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 09:02

Originally posted by tzar

Plovdiv - Thracain /Pupuldeva/,Hellenic /Phillipopullous/, Romes /Trimountium/, Turkish /Filibe/ and today just Plovdiv

In Hellenic it's: Phillipoupolis  (Phillip's city)

I've been to Sofia 3 weeks ago and will go again next month. I enjoyed it very much, it's a very nice city. Also this nice restaurant up the mountain, close to the ski resort (can't remember the name, but it's basically wooden, with traditional live music/singing/dancing and the waiters are dressed in traditional Bulgarian costumes).

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 09:24
Historical buildings in turkey(really old ones)are not well protected in turkey,so you can even take some home.I have a piece of a roman-byzntine church at my house.It has a symbol on it that i can't quite understand
"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 09:56

You should return it where it belongs. It doesn't matter if it seems insignificant, it's a matter of principle!

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 12:15

Originally posted by aknc

Historical buildings in turkey(really old ones)are not well protected in turkey,so you can even take some home.I have a piece of a roman-byzntine church at my house.It has a symbol on it that i can't quite understand

Not all of them, lots of them are very well protected and even restored. But it is true for lots of them that they arent safely protected.

And I have a version (not the very original one, I am not that rich) of a Seljuk mosaic which is inherited to my grandfather from his father:

tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 12:53
Originally posted by Yiannis

Originally posted by tzar

In Hellenic it's: Phillipoupolis  (Phillip's city)

giani_82 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote giani_82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 18:02
Tzar, you forgot the so called "Valley of Kings" near Kazanlak holding many burial chambers and some of the best Thracian pieces of art was found there.
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2005 at 09:34

Oh yes! Here is it:

The valley of Thracains kings

1) Kazanlak tomb - under protection of UNESCO

2) All others-I don't know their names, they are hundreds.

Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2005 at 15:50

There are about 150 ancient ruin cities in Iran with thousands ancient buildings, it is said there are more than 1,000,000 historical buildings in Iran but just 20,000 of them have been registered as national monuments inculding 1200 castles, 300 palaces, 110 churches, 50 temples, ...

Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2005 at 21:40
Man I would love to visit Iran.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2005 at 01:25
I have not been here yet but someday!!

Mesa Verde

typical tourist types-
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>