Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Keruath (Cravat), an ancient Iranian neckcloth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keruath (Cravat), an ancient Iranian neckcloth
    Posted: 04-Jul-2012 at 06:35

Keruath is an Avestan word which comes from Keru "neck", similar to the English word Collar:

collar (n.) Look up collar at Dictionary.com
c.1300, "neck armor, gorget," from O.Fr. coler "neck, collar" (12c., Mod.Fr. collier), from L. collare "necklace, band or chain for the neck," from collum "the neck," from PIE *kwol-o- "neck".

As I see in the English translation of Avesta, this word has been translated as "cuirass": http://www.avesta.org/vendidad/vd14sbe.htm

9. 'He shall godly and piously give to godly men a set of all the war implements of which the warriors make use, to redeem his own soul;

'The first being a javelin, the second a sword, the third a club, the fourth a bow, the fifth a saddle with a quiver and thirty iron25b-headed arrows, the sixth a sling with arm-string and with thirty sling stones26;

'The seventh a cuirass, the eighth a hauberk27, the ninth a tunic28, the tenth a helmet, the eleventh a girdle, the twelfth a pair of greaves.

Of course Cuirass sounds like Keruath too, but the word seems to have a Latin origin: http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=cuirass&searchmode=none

cuirass Look up cuirass at Dictionary.com
"armor for the chest and back," mid-15c., from M.Fr. cuirasse (15c.), from L.L. coriacea vestis "garment of leather," from L. corium "leather, hide"

Keruath wasn't made of leather, but of cloth, a Sassanid Keurath:

A Sassanid relief in Taq-e Bostan:

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2012 at 20:07
Wasn't the cravat a Croation invention?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2012 at 08:21
Originally posted by Nick1986

What is the Croation name of it? And what does this name mean in the Croatian language?
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2012 at 08:40
Kravata!SmileYour story is very inspiring Cyrus.I heart it first time.They also mentioned their connections with
Persia even if i think they are multi composite structure:Danayans&Persians&Valachians&....
  Archaic form of Croatia is Kroacia!By the way there is theory that Odyssey's Ithaca was one of their isles!Big smile
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2012 at 09:44
The possible thing can be that Cravat was introduced to the Europe by Croatians, they probably adopted it from the ancint Sarmatians or Alans who lived in the Eastern Europe.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2012 at 19:54
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Originally posted by Nick1986

What is the Croation name of it? And what does this name mean in the Croatian language?

The Croatians called it a Hrvat. It was their national costume during the Renaissance before Croat mercenaries introduced it to France
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2012 at 05:15
As medenaywe said, Croatians call it "Kravata", not "Hrvat" (their own name), a Croatian doesn't say "I wore a Croatian"! Maybe they called it "Hrvati Kravata".
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2012 at 06:05
Today is Hrvat singular for Croat.Hrvati plural,Croats.But neck ties are kravata/i in Srbo-Croatian language
and tie/Vrska in Macedonian(FYROM-ianLOL).Ties on gifts we call Mashna.Mashna and Vrska can exchange their usage often.Smile

Edited by medenaywe - 07-Jul-2012 at 00:15
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2012 at 19:19
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2012 at 19:17
I seem to remember reading that Roman legionaries also wore cravats: a red wool scarf to protect the neck from the uncomfortable iron breastplate
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2012 at 19:50
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2012 at 19:21
Could this Roman cravat have been adopted by the Dacians and Croats whose descendents continued wearing it long after the empire fell?

Edited by Nick1986 - 09-Aug-2012 at 19:22
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2012 at 10:05
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

As medenaywe said, Croatians call it "Kravata", not "Hrvat" (their own name), a Croatian doesn't say "I wore a Croatian"! Maybe they called it "Hrvati Kravata".

During the Middle Ages the French nobility wore pointed boots called Cracowes after the Polish city of Krakow. It's possible cravats were originally known as Croatians after the nationality it was associated with
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2012 at 10:09
Nosim kravatu=I wear Kravatu(article case)!And more i think about it,it means he wear butterfly tie:

Is this a Ancient Roman handkerchief remake?Big smile

Edited by medenaywe - 15-Oct-2012 at 10:12
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2012 at 10:22
May I:(original Persian?!?)
KeRuATH=Approved hand arrows dreamy head!Was this ancient alarm clock for Soldiers on duty,after you fall asleep your tied arm in Keruath wakes you up!Big smileApproved hand is your tied hand over that hangs your neck&head!Soldier never sleeps on duty!
KeRuTiJeBeM=juicy Sebian course=Approved hand innocences ancestral delivery and interior!
JeBeMTiKeRu=Ancestral delivery interiors innocent approval and hand!
  Kera&Keru-artical in Croatian&Serbian is dog,stray dog!

Edited by medenaywe - 15-Oct-2012 at 13:03
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2012 at 13:05
This is very reliable link for language translation:
http://www.eudict.com/index.php
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2012 at 10:32
Results for: cravatTranslations 1 - 4 of 4
English English Croatian Croatian
cravat kravata
cravat kravate
cravat zastavna traka
cravat zastavna vrpca
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2012 at 11:09
Zastava=flag,shows hierarchy where it is!On Battle field looser becomes enslaved&subordinated under winner's flag!
ZaSTaVa/Vi=Gossipy presence beauties slavery/subordination!
ZaSTaVe,plural=Gossipy presence,beauty one made!
 It looks that Keruath,warrior wears on Head&Neck on picture above?Similar as rooster with comb/flag.My flag=comb proves hierarchy in this courtyard!Smile

Edited by medenaywe - 16-Oct-2012 at 13:35
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2012 at 13:32
ZNaMe=flag,Macedonian=Tongue-like offer creates!
What does offers carrier of white flag?Wink

Most of those are tongue-like flags!

Edited by medenaywe - 17-Oct-2012 at 00:27
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2012 at 06:31
I guess "flag" could be a fanciful description of the larger cravats
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>