Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A map over Europe, 300 B.C?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
EvilNed View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote EvilNed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A map over Europe, 300 B.C?
    Posted: 01-May-2005 at 18:05

Anyone know where I can get ahold of a map, which covers Europe, around 300 B.C? It must show all the different kingdoms and "countries" that existed back then, and preferably also vaguely place out where "gaulish" tribes ruled, and where "Germanic" tribes ruled.

I haven't had any luck, myself.

TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2005 at 18:24

This is the best I could do.

EvilNed View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote EvilNed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2005 at 02:51

Thank ye, kindly. Now, at least, I've got the names of most of the tribes! But,I was wondering, two things:

Above Greece, it appears to be celtic territory. But wasn't this controlled by Macedon, and Thrace to the north west? Do the Thracians count as barbarians?

And in Asia Minor, there's full of tribes. Wasn't this a successor state area, which was owned by some of the Diadochi? Then, wouldn't it count as civilized territory?

Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2005 at 03:43

The map in some ways is over generalized.  It assumes that most of Anatolia, Thrace, Macedonia, and Illyria were under Celtic control.  Celtic tribes actually gained control of eastern Illyria by about 350 BC and much of Thrace and Phrygia after 280 BC, but they never controlled Macedonia.  At best, they invaded Macedonia into central Greece but were defeated and retreated back into Thrace.  In 300 BC, Thrace was the dominion of Lysimachus,  Macedonia was the dominion of Cassander, and Paeonia was independent.  In the north, the culture of northern Germany and Denmark is of a different tradition then the La Tene Culture characteristic of the Celts and is considered Germanic.  In the east Celtic culture does not seem to have gone beyond the Oder down to the Carpathians, except that part of the southern Carpathians which extended to the Dniester. 

For Greece and Asia try this map:

http://www.houseofptolemy.org/graphics/300bce.gif

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2005 at 01:03

is this what u after?

EvilNed View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote EvilNed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2005 at 02:19

Sort off, but not entirely. I'm looking for a map spanning across all of europe, not just the hellenistic world. Of course, the one you guys posted is still a big help. So thank you for that. Basicly, the hellenistic world is covered then.

Any maps over Carthaginian and Roman territories? Know where those can be found?

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2005 at 03:02

ok what about this one?

is 270 BC olny 30 years from 300 BC i guess its good

or these once

hope these could help

P.S

look how cute are the Arab Tribes in the corner

EvilNed View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote EvilNed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2005 at 14:40

Thank ye, kindly! The first map is absolutly marvelous. It will do quite nicely. Thank you again.

What was arab culture like, back then?

Elanjie View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Elanjie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2005 at 22:04
primitives
CedricEmrys View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote CedricEmrys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2018 at 09:12
Buaidh no bàs
CedricEmrys View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote CedricEmrys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2018 at 09:14
The Arab empire back then was a monarchy but obviously not Islamic, they believed in nature gods, and demons, however the culture was probably similar to that of the other Semitic cultures of  that time.SmileBig smile
Buaidh no bàs
 Post Reply Post Reply