Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Easter Island mystery solved?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Easter Island mystery solved?
    Posted: 26-Jun-2012 at 19:07
For years it was thought the great statues were rolled into place with logs and mounds of sand. Recently, however, the guys at National Geographic have a new hypothesis in keeping with the theory Easter Island had few trees: the statues were "walked" into place by two teams pulling on ropes
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/06/120622-easter-island-statues-moved-hunt-lipo-science-rocked/?source=hp_dl1_news_easter_island20120625
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
tjadams View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Suspended, go back to historum

Quote tjadams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2012 at 23:27
Indeed. This month's issue Vol. 222. No. 1, page 31
by Hannah Bloch, has a nice story in case people want
to pick up a copy of the magazine.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2012 at 19:34
Alcebiades View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

suspended

Quote Alcebiades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2012 at 12:32
The History Channel tells us that aliens made the Easter Island statues, I dont know what to make of that...
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2012 at 14:55
Originally posted by Alcebiades

The History Channel tells us that aliens made the Easter Island statues, I dont know what to make of that...

Fertilizer.  If you could bag some of the stuff that comes out of the HC, you'd be able to solve the world hunger prob. TongueWink

I assume your ref. is to Ancient Aliens.  I have seen a UFO, on several ocasions, I know they exist.  Where do they come from?  Who knows?  Could they have been here in ancient times? Certainly, but from there to where they would like you to go is one hell of a jump.

There has been at least one civilization, as advanced as we are, possibly more so, that has preceded us.  Why do people find it easier to believe aliens built the unexplained ruins than look objectively at them and realize the best answer is that humans built them and all record of this has been lost.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Alcebiades View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

suspended

Quote Alcebiades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2012 at 15:04
Errr... have you actually seen an UFO?? Mind you, I do believe they exist, based on the simple laws of probability, but Ive never actually seen one myself.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2012 at 15:26
Originally posted by Alcebiades

Errr... have you actually seen an UFO?? Mind you, I do believe they exist, based on the simple laws of probability, but Ive never actually seen one myself.

Yes, and it wasn't just a "light".  My Dad and I chased one through the Orchard that we lived on.  It had been bouncing along the power transmission lines that run parralel to the NJ Turnpike.  We got close enough to see it was manufactured and not a natural occ. like ball lightning or sim.

We always thought that we were the only ones who saw it.  Wasn't until years later we found out a lot of the folks here had seen them over the years.  Some called them "cable bugs".

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2012 at 19:30
I don't think little green men were involved. Even primitive societies could carve and move large blocks of stone, as demonstrated by the builders of Stonehenge, menhirs and dolmens
 Post Reply Post Reply