Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

did the city of troy really exist?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: did the city of troy really exist?
    Posted: 30-Apr-2005 at 16:25
just watched new film of troy with brad pitt...etc........i know troy supposedly was somewhere on what we now know to be part of turkey....i play rome total war a lot.........what do other people think?
Cassivellaunus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cassivellaunus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2005 at 22:02

It is already a known fact that Troy existed (archaeologists indeed located the ruins in the north-west of Turkey).

http://www.allaboutturkey.com/troy.htm

However, whether or not Brad Pitt conquered it remains to be proven...

"Why do you cower in your trenches, men? They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
- Last words of General John Sedgewick
Capt. Lubber View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Capt. Lubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2005 at 03:07
Yes, and there were several troys built on top of each other. On the whole there were about 9 of them. number 7 is the one most likely to have been "the" troy
Loke, Attila, the grete conqueror,
Deyde in his sleep, with shame and dishonour,
Bleedinge ay at the nose in dronkenesse,
A captayin shoulde live in sobrenesse
Isis View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Isis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2005 at 12:30

Yes, Troy most certainly existed

http://www.iit.edu/~agunsal/truva/truva/truva.html

aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2005 at 14:09

Originally posted by Capt. Lubber

Yes, and there were several troys built on top of each other. On the whole there were about 9 of them. number 7 is the one most likely to have been "the" troy

I thought it was the first one

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2005 at 14:13
Funny story about troy.The guy that found troy had the objective his whole life.Then he came to turkey and there was a hill,called hisarlk(the place of castles)and he began to dig....
"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2005 at 15:49

Troy 7 indeed seemed to to Archaeologists that it was destroyed by humans but as the reports were saying also, it didnt match Homer's Descriptions.

Some say it was Troy 6 but there were many indications that Troy 6 was destroyed by earthquake. Looks like we are gonna have to wait to be certain which one was the one Homer described.

Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2005 at 07:10

Originally posted by aknc

Funny story about troy.The guy that found troy had the objective his whole life.Then he came to turkey and there was a hill,called hisarlk(the place of castles)and he began to dig....

Scliemann was a very stubbon person. Do you know how he learnt the many languages he knew? He just took a book in that certain language he did not know at all but wanted to learn, a dictionary and possibly a grammar, and started to translate the book word by word, sentence by sentence, with great patience and will.

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2005 at 11:19
Originally posted by Aeolus

Troy 7 indeed seemed to to Archaeologists that it wasdestroyed by humans but as the reports were saying also, it didnt match Homer's Descriptions.

Some say it was Troy 6 but there were many indications that Troy 6 was destroyed by earthquake. Looks like we are gonna have to wait to be certain which one was the one Homer described.

Well, "Illion"/whatever the town's called as Troy is only a theory (though the most widely accepted one), so it is possible none of the towns buried on Hisarlik hill is the Troy of Homeros.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2005 at 12:43
Aye, the fact that someone found some ruins and some golden treasures doesnt mean that it was Troy from Homer's tale.
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2005 at 15:28
Originally posted by Aeolus

Troy 7 indeed seemed to to Archaeologists that it was destroyed by humans but as the reports were saying also, it didnt match Homer's Descriptions.

yes aelous you are extremely correct.Truy six was destroyed by earthquake and matches homer's description.The trojan horse comes from that,the god that causes earthquakes in their myth(dunno wich one)sometimes took the shape of a horse.So when the gares were battered by the earthquake,they lefta wooden horse statue to show their gratefullness

Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2005 at 16:29
The trojan horse comes from that,the god that causes earthquakes in their myth(dunno wich one)sometimes took the shape of a horse.So when the gares were battered by the earthquake,they lefta wooden horse statue to show their gratefullness

Poseidon

To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2005 at 07:00

They found a Hittite city and called it Troy. No evidence has ever been found to back the claim. Also a couple of other cities down the coast have as good claim, the geography being much closer to what Homer describes.

I wonder if in a thousand years times Archaeologists will be searching for the remains of The Shire?

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2005 at 09:29

Originally posted by Phallanx

The trojan horse comes from that,the god that causes earthquakes in their myth(dunno wich one)sometimes took the shape of a horse.So when the gares were battered by the earthquake,they lefta wooden horse statue to show their gratefullness

Poseidon

thanks man

aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2005 at 09:30
the shire?

Tiamatty View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Tiamatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2005 at 08:04

Wikipedia

It did exist, it was near the entrance to the Hellespont. There is reason to believe Troy VII to be the most likely candidate.

King_Cyrus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote King_Cyrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2005 at 14:44

Troy probly did exist, but Homer likes to romaticize tales.  It seems one of the Troys was destroyed by a Earth quake and a latter one was destroyed by eiter the Hittites or the Greek people known as the "Sea People".  Or it may have bin a Greek army who destroyed it but it wasnt for Helen it was most likly for control of the port which the Trojens got extremly weathy from by taxing ships that traveled trough the area.

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2005 at 21:45
Of course it existed, archaeological evidence exists to prove that. It was positioned in an econmically important area and was a viable place of settlement. It continued to be inhabited up to the 1st century AD when it appears to have been abandoned, having suffered from a series of earthquakes over its long history.
Onkel_Wowa View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Onkel_Wowa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2005 at 18:46
Why Troy was looked for in Turkey? May be, because Great Britain needed good maps of the area for future WW1?
Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2005 at 22:06
Moved to Greece/Med.
τρέφεται δέ, ὤ Σώκρατης, ψυχὴ τίνι;
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>