Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

southEast Asia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
sharwina_7 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote sharwina_7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: southEast Asia
    Posted: 11-Jun-2012 at 14:02
Hi everyone, i am new here. my name is Sharwina. i hope people here are friendly. i believe i will make some friends here too. i am very enthusiasm and passionate person. i am doing reserach about SouthEast asia. i want answer for certain question. 

when u look overall of southEast asia, don't seperate just one country. share with me the top 5 great thing about southEast Asia. 

its really important to me, if u can think and answer me, if u cannot find 5 list no issue, share with me what come to your mind, thank you.
Janissary
Janissary

Quote sharwina_7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2012 at 14:04
sorry if my english is bad, english is not my native language. but i guess everyone can understand my question
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2012 at 16:30
1. Food (best on the planet, end of.)
2. Languages (love the sound of Melayu-Indonesian)

After that my interests start to get more Indonesia specific, music (gamelan), Colonial architecture (hybrid Dutch-Javanese-Indian Moghul and more), but thats mainly because I know more about Indonesia from Indo friends in Dutch international school as well as chosing it in world history classes, and I know a bit about Thailand. Malaysia/Philippines remain a bit elusive to me.

Arrrgh!!"
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2012 at 19:37
My main interest has to be exotic weapons: the Malayan Kris, Gurkha Kukhri, Filipino Balisong, Indonesian Kujang, and Indian Katar
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2012 at 21:45
5. Climate
4. Swe Dagon
3. Eastern Lao
2. No work ethic
1. If you crawl around enough bars at 1am most eventually you will bump into me.
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2012 at 23:25
1. excellent fighting men
2. beautiful women
3. kimchi
4. Long and varied histories and cultures especially the Korean and Vietnamese.
5. soju
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2012 at 19:23
Asian food: Singapore noodles, egg fried rice, Thai curry, steam buns, balut (sadly i've never tried this but it sounds delicious)
Janissary
Janissary

Quote sharwina_7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2012 at 19:28
Originally posted by Cywr

Cywr when u talk about food you remind me about spicy foods, i believe people in south-east asia eat spicy compare to many european countries. but do u know in vietnam frog is also food? Yuck!!

cywr, have u tried Durian(fruit) before? 
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2012 at 19:33
Originally posted by sharwina_7

Originally posted by Cywr

Cywr when u talk about food you remind me about spicy foods, i believe people in south-east asia eat spicy compare to many european countries. but do u know in vietnam frog is also food? Yuck!!

Doesn't sound too bad. I ate frogs when i went to France (they taste a bit like chicken)
Janissary
Janissary

Quote sharwina_7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2012 at 19:37
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

- Long and varied histories and cultures especially the Korean and Vietnamese.

centrix vigilis i wanted to try kimchi. but i never tried, don't know why :( hehe. by the way this thread is not about history, there is another thread u can see newly i open for history, i want you to join us there talk about this. thank you 
Janissary
Janissary

Quote sharwina_7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2012 at 19:49
Originally posted by Toltec

5. Climate
4. Swe Dagon
3. Eastern Lao
2. No work ethic.

Hi toltec,
in southEast Asia they have work ethic, maybe u meet the poor one and u thought there is no work ethic i guess. 
another thing Malaysia, singapore never had any serious natural disaster. climate always nice. but nowdays there are scary storm sound heard here and there, my friend from singapore told me. maybe because we all getting closer to december 2012 world end. LOL

anyway what is swe Dagon and Eastern Lao? if its history topic please lets discuss about this in history thread ok, this thread not about history. thank you.
Janissary
Janissary

Quote sharwina_7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2012 at 22:32
i don't know why there is so many view but only few people engage in posting. alot of people really that shy?.. don't know what to say
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2012 at 00:18

Don't feel bad if the aggregate numbers in response to a post are not high. quality is what ya want not necessarily quanity. We have a small-medium but active membership here that share a divergence of interests.

As for kimchi...only real men and Cav scouts eat it.Wink

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 13-Jun-2012 at 00:19
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2012 at 13:46

[QUOTE=Cywr]1. Food (best on the planet, end of.)

[/QUOTE

Frog is a delicacy in parts of Europe too, most famously France. I'll give it a miss.
Never tasted durian, have had the pleasure of smelling one, that was more than enough :) Relativly hard to find outside of Malaysia/Indonesia as far as I am aware, you occasional find them in some Tokos in the Netherlands.

Arrrgh!!"
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2012 at 08:34

anyway what is swe Dagon and Eastern Lao? if its history topic please lets discuss about this in history thread ok, this thread not about history. thank you.

Eastern Lao is the eastern part of the country of Lao, the most beautiful scenary on earth. Swe Dagon is a place in Rangoon Burma, SE Asia's finest monument.

History Planet Website
<br /
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2012 at 08:42

I've been trying to cook a proper Phall for ages now but the local chilli peppers are not hot enough. I put 20 fresh chillies and ten dried ones last time I cooked one, it wasn't even 25% as hot as a Vindaloo let alone on the same planet as a Phall. Nothing even 1/10 as hot a Scotch Bonnet in SE Asia.

History Planet Website
<br /
Janissary
Janissary

Quote sharwina_7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2012 at 08:54
alright MY top 5 great thing about southEast Asia:
1-definitely the food
2-the Temples there
3-their unique culture
4-the unique species(i have learn few new frog names) each year they discover and introduce to our world.
5-THEIR STUPID BELIEF(just come southEast asia and talk to them for few hours and they will list you so much of stupid and insane beliefs, will make u laugh for hours with your friends, always lead to great conversation)

so what about other guys there? please don't keep repeating the same thing, thankx.

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2012 at 09:55
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

Don't feel bad if the aggregate numbers in response to a post are not high. quality is what ya want not necessarily quanity. We have a small-medium but active membership here that share a divergence of interests.

As for kimchi...only real men and Cav scouts eat it.Wink

Add Sappers to that list.Big smile  That's one of my son's favorites.  He even has the local variations from one region to another, nailed down and catagorized. 
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2012 at 19:15
How goes the assignment Sharwina?
macayana View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote macayana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2012 at 01:27
Originally posted by Nick1986

Asian food: Singapore noodles, egg fried rice, Thai curry, steam buns, balut (sadly i've never tried this but it sounds delicious)

nick, balut (duck egg) actually tastes as well as sounds delicious; it's how it looks that most people find revolting.

let us know when you've actually tried it Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>