Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

southEast Asia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: southEast Asia
    Posted: 03-Jul-2012 at 08:45
Originally posted by Toltec

Originally posted by sharwina_7

Cywr when u talk about food you remind me about spicy foods, i believe people in south-east asia eat spicy compare to many european countries. but do u know in vietnam frog is also food? Yuck!!

I've been trying to cook a proper Phall for ages now but the local chilli peppers are not hot enough. I put 20 fresh chillies and ten dried ones last time I cooked one, it wasn't even 25% as hot as a Vindaloo let alone on the same planet as a Phall. Nothing even 1/10 as hot a Scotch Bonnet in SE Asia.

Do you have a "scoville" rating on that Scotch Bonnet?  I grow a small thin red pepper called a Thai Dragon.  It will set you on fire.  I can't imagine there not being local varieties that would top the Scoville chart.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2012 at 11:26
Originally posted by red clay

Do you have a "scoville" rating on that Scotch Bonnet?  I grow a small thin red pepper called a Thai Dragon.  It will set you on fire.  I can't imagine there not being local varieties that would top the Scoville chart.
I have grown Thai peppers as well and can also attest as to how insanely hot they are. 

Toltec:  Maybe the pepper varieties that you tried were toned down for local consumption.  Look for a package of seeds with Thai writing on it (more likely to a be a "Thai peppers for Thais" type strain.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2012 at 19:14
Originally posted by macayana

Originally posted by Nick1986

Asian food: Singapore noodles, egg fried rice, Thai curry, steam buns, balut (sadly i've never tried this but it sounds delicious)

nick, balut (duck egg) actually tastes as well as sounds delicious; it's how it looks that most people find revolting.

let us know when you've actually tried it Smile

I've enquired at every Asian food mart, Chinese restuarant and deli but none of them sell it Thumbs Down
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2012 at 12:54
Originally posted by Cryptic

I have grown Thai peppers as well and can also attest as to how insanely hot they are. 

Toltec:  Maybe the pepper varieties that you tried were toned down for local consumption.  Look for a package of seeds with Thai writing on it (more likely to a be a "Thai peppers for Thais" type strain.

Thai peppers are called Bird's Eye Chilli Peppers, they're pretty standard throughout the country. Hot for most people, but I was talking about cooking a Phall.
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2012 at 12:55

Originally posted by Toltec

Originally posted by sharwina_7

Cywr when u talk about food you remind me about spicy foods, i believe people in south-east asia eat spicy compare to many european countries. but do u know in vietnam frog is also food? Yuck!!

I've been trying to cook a proper Phall for ages now but the local chilli peppers are not hot enough. I put 20 fresh chillies and ten dried ones last time I cooked one, it wasn't even 25% as hot as a Vindaloo let alone on the same planet as a Phall. Nothing even 1/10 as hot a Scotch Bonnet in SE Asia.

About 300k I believe
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12