Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Country with no prehistory

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
geomancer View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote geomancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Country with no prehistory
    Posted: 08-Jun-2012 at 01:00
Which country has no prehistoric artifacts, no human fossils, and in fact no human prehistory whatsoever? That is, the very first human habitation is recorded in historical documents.
geomancer View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote geomancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2012 at 09:32
Which is the country with the shortest history?
Andorra
Belgium
Brazil
Falkland Islands
Iceland
Luxemburg
Madagascar
Monaco
New Zealand
Norfolk Island
Pitcairn Island
Portugal
Uruguay
Vatican City
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2012 at 13:01
Originally posted by geomancer

Which country has no prehistoric artifacts, no human fossils, and in fact no human prehistory whatsoever? That is, the very first human habitation is recorded in historical documents.

I can only think of one country and two autonomous areas:

- Iceland never had indigenous inhabitants prior to the Vikings. 

- Greenland also did not have any prehistoric inhabitants.  The Inuit and the Vikings arrived there at roughly the same time. The Inuit, however, did beat the vikings by a few centuries.  Likewise, the  Portuguese were the first people on the Azores Islands

There are also scattered Islands that are inhabited now, but that never had pre- historic peoples:
Saint Helena, Diego Garcia, Ascension Island, the Falklands and probably a few more.  

Edited by Cryptic - 14-Jun-2012 at 13:22
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2012 at 15:29

Which is the country with the shortest history?
Andorra
Belgium
Brazil
Falkland Islands
Iceland
Luxemburg
Madagascar
Monaco
New Zealand
Norfolk Island
Pitcairn Island
Portugal
Uruguay
Vatican City

Pretty much all those countries with the exception of Iceland and the small islands had a prehistory.

Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2012 at 15:33
Originally posted by Cryptic

I can only think of one country and two autonomous areas:

- Iceland never had indigenous inhabitants prior to the Vikings. 

- Greenland also did not have any prehistoric inhabitants.  The Inuit and the Vikings arrived there at roughly the same time. The Inuit, however, did beat the vikings by a few centuries.  Likewise, the  Portuguese were the first people on the Azores Islands

There are also scattered Islands that are inhabited now, but that never had pre- historic peoples:
Saint Helena, Diego Garcia, Ascension Island, the Falklands and probably a few more.  

As you say, Greenland and Iceland are the only two sizeable land masses I can think of, unless you want to include Antartica.
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2012 at 16:08
Originally posted by Toltec

As you say, Greenland and Iceland are the only two sizeable land masses I can think of, unless you want to include Antartica.

I think Antactica is a good call and should be included.

Toltec and Geomancer,

You guys might find this site interesting.  Click on the "Journey of Mankind".  It gives a really good video of how the earth was peopled. http://www.bradshawfoundation.com/

I wish it showed the migrations to the deep Pacific as well as to Iceland and Greenland though.

Edited by Cryptic - 14-Jun-2012 at 16:11
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2012 at 19:30
Maybe one of the more remote Pacific islands that was never colonised by humans?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
geomancer View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote geomancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2012 at 23:02
All right, here are the best answers I've found, if you count only independent sovereign states.  These three countries have no evidence of human habitation or visitation before the 15th century:

1. Mauritius: Discovered ca. 1500, first settled 1638.
2. São Tomé and Príncipe: Discovered ca. 1470, first settled 1493.
3. Cape Verde: Discovered ca. 1456, first settled 1462.
 Post Reply Post Reply