Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Japanese Imperial Army

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
General_Zhaoyun View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote General_Zhaoyun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Japanese Imperial Army
    Posted: 26-Aug-2004 at 03:15
What was the Japanese Imperial army consisted of? Were they based on infantry or cavarly ? Samurai.. can anyone tell me more about them and their history?
Founder of China History Forum
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2004 at 12:16

By Imperial I supose you mean 19th through 20th centuries....?

Well after the Meji restoration it was trained along German lines and thus was much like a modern european army.  Foreign observes commented on its exceptional infantry, good artillery, and somewhat lackluster cavalry.  By 1877 the samurai were no more however other than presatige through lineage.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2004 at 16:50
Wasn't the officer line samurai?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2011 at 15:22
A lot of samurai were officers in the army and navy, including general Yamagata Aritomo. As late as WW2 many officers' swords incorporated the blade of an ancestral katana
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2011 at 15:43
Check this article out Nick you and others might enjoy it.

CV

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 28-Mar-2011 at 15:46
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

ETL_Guy View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote ETL_Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2011 at 23:43
I don't have much knowledge of who the Imperial Japanese army consisted of, but I do have some obscure family knowledge of who it didn't consist of.

My grandmother was in her early teens in Imperial Japan and had older brothers.  Much to my surprise, when I asked her if any of her brothers fought in the war, she told me no.  This conflicted with the preconceived notion I had that Japanese were drafting all able-bodied men to fight by the end of the war.

She couldn't elaborate much on why they weren't drafted, other than that her father was a wealthy industrialist before the war.  According to her, he lost a lot of wealth during and after the war, but early on he was quite rich.  The family owned a sowing machine factory, among other things.  She grew up with servants in the house, who basically raised her during childhood.  Maybe he bought his sons out of military service?

I wish I had more knowledge on this part of my family, but unfortunately my grandmother was disowned by her own father for marrying my American grandfather.  She had an opportunity to marry a proper Japanese guy approved by her parents, but was rebellious and ran off to the States with my grandpa.  Although she reconciled with her brothers and sisters to some extent after the deaths of her parents, she didn't maintain relations with them.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2011 at 23:07
Originally posted by ETL_Guy

Much to my surprise, when I asked her if any of her brothers fought in the war, she told me no.  This conflicted with the preconceived notion I had that Japanese were drafting all able-bodied men to fight by the end of the war.

Me too.
Originally posted by ETL_Guy

She grew up with servants in the house, who basically raised her during childhood.  Maybe he bought his sons out of military service?
I bet it did.  As a side note, in the fall of 1944, the egaltarian Generals Eisenhower and Bradley grew concerned that casualties were not being shared equally by society.  They then pressured the War Department to release 50,000 university students or recent graduates  that had been given dubious draft exempt statuses due to their uhmmm.... "vital" skills.   The Generals stated that ivy league and similar schools in particular needed  scrutiny.

The 50,000 men were then drafted.  Though Eisenhower specifically asked that the blue bloods be drafted as combat troops when ever possible, I dont know if that actually happened or not.  I bet Japan had a proportional number of wealthy with "vital" skills as well.  O f course, there were others who served willingly such as the Kennedy family and Japanese Baron Takeichi Nishi who asked to be assigned to Iwo Jima when he did not need to.

Edited by Cryptic - 02-Apr-2011 at 23:47
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2012 at 19:49
The Japanese navy idolised the British. The officers smoked pipes and called each other "old chap." The army looked up to the Germans: Japanese soldiers grew toothbrush moustaches and took great pride in their swordsmanship
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2012 at 19:23
One of the reasons the Japanese favored the Germans and the British (rather than the French, Russians or Americans) was because they were the only barbarians who bathed regularly. They might have also admired the Germans' aggression, strict discipline and semi-feudal hierarchy: the Junkers were noblemen like the Samurai with close links to the military
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2012 at 20:07
I can't remember where i read this, but i heard some Japanese officers fought duels to get facial scars like the Germans
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2012 at 19:32
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

Check this article out Nick you and others might enjoy it.

CV

The determination of the Japanese to "sacrifice their nation for glorious death" reminds me of the Nazis later in the war. Hitler even considered a piloted flying bomb to destroy Allied bombers (although it was intended for the Hitler Youth pilot to parachute out)
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2012 at 19:38
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2012 at 11:14
http://www.amazon.com/Soldiers-Sun-Rise-Imperial-Japanese/dp/0679753036

The above book has been highly praised.

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2012 at 19:06
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2012 at 19:12

Japanese officer's shin-gunto sword. These frequently incorporated an ancestral katana blade and were sometimes fitted with a European-style grip
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2012 at 21:10
Military swords of Imperial Japan
http://www.h4.dion.ne.jp/~t-ohmura/gunto_002.htm
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2012 at 14:43
 Post Reply Post Reply