Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The greatest Iran’s Mysteries: Phartia’s Battery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The greatest Iran’s Mysteries: Phartia’s Battery
    Posted: 03-May-2005 at 15:05

And most certainly NOT A rab.

No one even suggested it was invented by an Iranian, paranoia is rife on the Southern coast of the Persian Gulf .

Originally posted by azimuth

well whatever it is it is not iranian invention

Edited by Zagros Purya
ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2005 at 16:43
Originally posted by Zagros Purya

No one even suggested it was invented by an Iranian, paranoia is rife on the Southern coast of the Persian Gulf .
that would be the simpler answer, thank you
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2005 at 05:50

Originally posted by ramin

In the link I gave you the author didn't say Babylon or Assiryans as Iranians! in the introduction of the link I gave you the author talked about the people in and around the Iranian Plateau. Please read the article more effectively.

About the articles pulled out off Encarta, I'm still wondering -- with no rejection to its content! -- is that the same Encarta you earlier discussed about map mistakes it made??

---

funny, I found this out of Encyclopedia Britannica:

The area that is now Khuzestin was settled about 6000 BC by a people with affinities to the Sumerians, who came from the Zagros Mountains region. Urban centres appeared there nearly contemporaneously with the first cities in Mesopotamia in the 4th millennium. Khuzestin came to constitute the heart of the Elamite kingdom, with Susa as its capital. Beginning with the reign of the legendary Enmebaragesi, about 2700 BC, who (according to a cuneiform inscription) despoiled the weapons of the land of Elam, Sumerian, Akkadian, Babylonian, Kassite, Neo-Babylonian, and Assyrian invasions periodically crossed Khuzestin in response to Elamite involvement in Babylonian politics.

Wikipedia.org:

Almost 72% of Iraq's population consists of Arabic speakers (mainly Iraqi but some Hejazi); the other major ethnic group are the Kurds (25%), who live in the north and north-east of the country. The Kurds differ from Arabs in many ways including culture, history, clothing, and language. Other distinct groups are Assyrians, Turkomans, Iranians, Lurs, Armenians (3%) and Yezidis (possible descendants of the ancient Sumerian culture, part of the Kurdish population). About 2,500 Jews and 20,000 - 50,000 Marsh Arabs live in Iraq.

1. The Yezidi or Yazidi (Kurdish; zid) are adherents of a small Middle Eastern religion with ancient origins. They are primarily ethnic Kurds, and most Yazidis live near Mosul, Iraq with smaller communities in Syria, Turkey, Iran, Georgia and Armenia, and are estimated to number ca. 500,000 individuals in total.

algebra.com:

The Sumerians, with a language, culture, and, perhaps, appearance different from their Semetic neighbors and successors are widely believed to have been invaders or migrants, although it has proven difficult to determine exactly when this event occurred or the original geographic origins of the Sumerians. Some archeologists have advanced the notion that the Sumerians were, in fact, local to the Mesopotamian plains.

now the judgement is by you.

I have another source which is actually my main defence but i have no access to it right now. I believe I've read a book regarding this issue clearly stating the relation between Sumerians and Kurds. I know not every book is valid, but I'll try to find the book in my spare time and give u the title (though it doesn't worth it any way).

anyway, you know how much I hate altering the topics' original purpose, so why don't u open up a new thread regarding this, then you or me will give the link to that thread so everyone interested can follow it up there.

well iam not saying that they were Semitic people.

iam saying that they were not Iranians.

also i too dont have time to read your sources and replay to them

i have exams comming next week and the weeks after.

so i may open a topic as u suggested later.

And most certainly NOT A rab. 

No one even suggested it was invented by an A rab

and relax no need to get nervouse

check the previouse posts here and you will notice that there are some guys think that this 'thing' is Iranian.

also why else would ramin putting sources to prove that it was Iranian?

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2005 at 12:08

Well your reasoning for making such an assertion is at best dubious. Regardless, the invetion is part of the regions heritage irrespective of what race the guy who invented it was.

Edited by Zagros Purya
ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 01:59

Well your reasoning for making such an assertion is at best dubious. Regardless, the invetion is part of the regions heritage irrespective of what race the guy who invented it was.

in that case, it would be a Iraqi invention
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 05:44

oh ramin

not that easy

i thought it is Iranian?

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 06:54
What the hell happened? I gave a a full response including other similiraites with CA. I dont have the time to do it again just now. I really hope it wasnt mod censorship.

Edited by Zagros Purya
ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 11:27
I said "In THAT case", but it's not the case
When do you people will learn to read effectively (jk)
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 17:45

ok ok

then we r back on track.

Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2005 at 07:18

My first Post have been Started by this Article

& now My 100th post!!!!!

Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2005 at 10:06
Sorry, you come here for nothing,Embarrassed
But it's my 200th  post beside of first & 100thBig smile
Aryan Khadem View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Aryan Khadem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 07:41
Originally posted by azimuth

well whatever it is it is not iranian invention

Why do you say it is not an Iranian invention? First it was found in an Iranian Tmob, Modern day Iraq was part of Iran. Even better let be show you the link!

here the link

http://www.iranchamber.com/history/articles/parthian_battery .php

The jars are believed to be about 2000 years old from the Parthian period (The third Iranian dynasty ruled roughly 248 BCE to 28 April CE 224), and consist of an earthenware shell, with a stopper composed of asphalt. Sticking through the top of the stopper is an iron rod. Inside the jar the rod is surrounded by a cylinder of copper. Konig thought these things looked like electric batteries and published a paper on the subject in 1940.

Life is beautiful but I am darker then Life.

Iran Aziz Janam Fadayt

ShahanShah
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Aryan Khadem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 07:47

Let me say Azimuth again I see an attack on the concept that something is Iranian....Only 2 distict Races in the Middle East Semetic and non semetic if non semetic then it is Iranian....Iranian is used more often now because calling them Indo-Europeans is being faded out as they were not originally from Europe but the land of Aryans hence Iranian..... This is the Politically correct use.... All the others you mentioned used to be called indo europeans but now correctly called Iranians.......

Not all scientists accept the "electric battery" description for the jars. If they were batteries, though, who made them and what were they used for?

Unfortunately, there is no written record as to the exact function of the jar, due to destruction of Iranian literary sources and libraries by Arabs upon invasion of Iranian territories in 7th century CE, but the best guess is that it was a type of battery.

Scientists believe the batteries (if that is their correct function) were used to electroplate items such as putting a layer of one metal (gold) onto the surface of another (silver), a method still practiced in Greater Iran today.

Iran Aziz Janam Fadayt

ShahanShah
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 08:32

OMG ! not again

iam not attacking anything here,

its not iranian invention because its a development of a sumerian invention.

that what it says in the link Land of Arayan posted in the first post.

and Sumerian weren't Iranians.

and in the Middle east there were people other than Iranians and other than Semitics, and one of those people were the early Sumerians, who later became heavely effected by the Semitics.

Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Aryan Khadem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 20:56

Proto Summerian in the Zargos mountians are not know much about, but there is alot of suggestions they could have been from the Caucas region, which all Iranians come from.

I gave a better post, his was a little of me thinks, There is no link other then theory to its origins but finding it in a Parthian Tomb, makes it Iranian till there is proof otherwise

I am sure that is an agreeable conclusion.  Till more is known Iranians can claim it, unless proven it is not Iranian!

Edited by Aryan Khadem

Iran Aziz Janam Fadayt

ShahanShah
Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2006 at 13:45

ANCIENT IRANIANS, THE INVENTORS OF BATTERY:

PARTHIAN BATTERY

250BCE

Abstract: In June, 1936, while a new railway was being constructed near the city of Baghdad workers uncovered an ancient tomb. In the excavation that followed it was determined that the tomb was built during the Parthian dynastic era which ranged from 250 BC to AD 250 (+/-).

According to most texts the "voltic pile," or electric battery, was invented in 1800 by the Count Alassandro Volta. Volta had observed that when two dissimilar metal probes were placed against frog tissue, a weak electric current was generated. Volta discovered he could reproduce this current outside of living tissue by placing the metals in certain chemical solutions. For this, and his other work with electricity, we commemorate his name in the measurement of electric potential called the volt.

The little Parthian jar found in ancient Western Iranian territories of Greater Iran (now Iraq), suggests that Volta didn't invent the battery, but reinvented it. The jar was first described by German archaeologist Wilhelm Konig in 1938.  The jar was found in Khujut Rabu just outside modern Baghdad and is composed of a clay jar with a stopper made of asphalt. Sticking through the asphalt is an iron rod surrounded by a copper cylinder. When filled with vinegar - orany other electrolytic solution - the jar produces about 1.5 to 2.0 volts.

The jars are believed to be about 2000 years old from the Parthian period (The third Iranian dynasty ruled roughly 248 BCE to 28 April CE 224),  and consist of an earthenware shell, with a stopper composed of asphalt. Sticking through the top of the stopper is an iron rod. Inside the jar the rod is surrounded by a cylinder of copper. Konig thought these things looked like electric batteries and published a paper on the subject in 1940.

World War II prevented immediate follow-up on the jars, but after hostilities ceased, an American, Willard F. M. Gray of the General Electric High Voltage Laboratory in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, built some reproductions. When filled with an electrolyte like grape juice, the devices produced about two volts. 

Not all scientists accept the "electric battery" description for the jars. If they were batteries, though, who made them and what were they used for?

Unfortunately, there is no written record as to the exact function of the jar, due to destruction of Iranian literary sources and libraries by Arabs upon invasion of Iranian territories in 7th century, but the best guess is that it was a type of battery.

Scientists believe the batteries (if that is their correct function) were used to electroplate items such as putting a layer of one metal (gold) onto the surface of another (silver), a method still practiced in Greater Iran today.

http://www.cais-soas.com/CAIS/Science/battery.htm

Edited by Land of Aryan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12