Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Childhood cartoons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Childhood cartoons
    Posted: 18-May-2012 at 19:25
This thread is dedicated to the cartoons the TV companies need to bring back. Which ones were your favorite?

Edited by Nick1986 - 19-May-2012 at 11:26
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2012 at 10:56
Umm, considering the telly was brand new when I was a kid, the cartoons shown were usually from the 30's and 40's.  We even had shows that had silent cartoons from the late 20's. 

Crusader Rabbit and Rags was the first made for TV cartoon.  It was produced from 1947- to 1951.  It was released into syndication.  The first network show was "Rough and Ready", debuted in 1954.
We didn't get these until about 52-54.  Remember, Radio was still very strong.  Saturday morning was still the territory of the radio kids programs until about 1955.
Of the early made for TV cartoons my favs. were-  Deputy Dawg, Quick Draw McGraw, Rocky and Bullwinkle.

In 1957 they redid Crusader Rabbit in color.  By this time, Radio was gasping it's last.  The last kids show on radio that I remember was "No School Today" with it's memorable theme, "Teddy Bear's Picnic".
Until approx. 1960, the cartoon shows were, with a few exceptions, locally produced shows hosted by local TV personalities such as Sally Star, Uncle Pete Boyle [Uncle Pete's Fun House] and Chief Halftown.  All of these shows were on in the late afternoon on weekdays.  They all originated in Philly.
The first of these shows, and therefore my fav. came on in 1950.  It was "The Willy the Worm Show".  Hosted by a puppet of the same name.  Again, the cartoons shown were oldies from the movie theatres.  The "Farmer Alfalpha" series was popular.  It was a silent cartoon , no dialogue, but it had sound effects.
In later years I had an opportunity to get to know Sally Star on a personal level.   A quote from her.
"If it was an exciting period for kids, double that for us.  Nothing like this had ever been done before, we were making it up as we went."

Edited by red clay - 19-May-2012 at 11:19
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2012 at 13:28
When I was a kid I loved the later Daffy Duck stuff where he became evil. I also luvved Dick Dastardly for the same reason.

As an adult I have an appreciation for the genius of the early cartoons when it was no holds barred, such as Betty Boop topless and taking drugs. Felix is absolute genius though. Check out this channel the imagination is astonishing.

Edited by Toltec - 19-May-2012 at 13:29
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2012 at 19:30
Originally posted by red clay

Umm, considering the telly was brand new when I was a kid, the cartoons shown were usually from the 30's and 40's.  We even had shows that had silent cartoons from the late 20's. 

Crusader Rabbit and Rags was the first made for TV cartoon.  It was produced from 1947- to 1951.  It was released into syndication.  The first network show was "Rough and Ready", debuted in 1954.
We didn't get these until about 52-54.  Remember, Radio was still very strong.  Saturday morning was still the territory of the radio kids programs until about 1955.
Of the early made for TV cartoons my favs. were-  Deputy Dawg, Quick Draw McGraw, Rocky and Bullwinkle.

In 1957 they redid Crusader Rabbit in color.  By this time, Radio was gasping it's last.  The last kids show on radio that I remember was "No School Today" with it's memorable theme, "Teddy Bear's Picnic".
Until approx. 1960, the cartoon shows were, with a few exceptions, locally produced shows hosted by local TV personalities such as Sally Star, Uncle Pete Boyle [Uncle Pete's Fun House] and Chief Halftown.  All of these shows were on in the late afternoon on weekdays.  They all originated in Philly.
The first of these shows, and therefore my fav. came on in 1950.  It was "The Willy the Worm Show".  Hosted by a puppet of the same name.  Again, the cartoons shown were oldies from the movie theatres.  The "Farmer Alfalpha" series was popular.  It was a silent cartoon , no dialogue, but it had sound effects.
In later years I had an opportunity to get to know Sally Star on a personal level.   A quote from her.
"If it was an exciting period for kids, double that for us.  Nothing like this had ever been done before, we were making it up as we went."

Shows like Quick Draw McGraw, Popeye or Tom and Jerry are timeless. At weekends me and my dad used to watch them on BBC2 around lunchtime, shortly before the Western started
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2012 at 15:04
Underdog
When Polly's in trouble (or When help is needed), I am not slow,
For it's hip-hip-hip and AWAY I GO!!!

There's no need to fear--
Underdog is here!

Not bird, nor plane, nor even frog,
It's just little old me... (at this point, Underdog would crash into something, then sheepishly finish) Underdog.

CC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underdog_(TV_series)

Mighty Mouse

Singers: Mr. Trouble never hangs around / When he hears this mighty sound:
Mighty Mouse: Here I come to save the day!
Singers: That means that Mighty Mouse is on the way! / Yes, sir, when there is a wrong to right / Mighty Mouse will join the fight!
Mighty Mouse: Hi, boys and girls! Here we go, rocketing into a fun-filled, exciting cartoon show. Hold onto your seats as we blast off to visit all of your favorite cartoon stars.

Mighty Mouse: Superheroes get free donuts!

Mighty Mouse: [playing pinball machine, replies to the call for help] I can't stop now! I've still got free games left!

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 20-May-2012 at 15:04
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2012 at 19:06
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2012 at 19:33

My mum used to watch Top Cat when she got ready for primary school. 25 years later (when i started school) it was still on at the same time
okamido View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended, tit for tat

Quote okamido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2012 at 01:27
Starblazers and Robotech were some great adventure cartoons when I was a kid. I also enjoyed Brave Raydeen a great deal (even though I never knew what the hell they were saying).

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2012 at 19:07
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2012 at 19:20
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2012 at 19:02

Edited by Nick1986 - 28-May-2012 at 21:44
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2012 at 20:00
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2012 at 22:19
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2012 at 07:50
Clutch Cargo.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Sander View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote Sander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2012 at 17:03

The Pink Panther and La Linea ( the line, known as the Lineman in the US)

Star

Edited by Sander - 26-May-2012 at 17:14
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2012 at 19:06
tjadams View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Suspended, go back to historum

Quote tjadams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2012 at 11:43
Cartoons used to come on only one day a week for me; Saturdays and went off by noon.
There was only five channels back then and only four carried cartoons. 
I was a Looney Toon watcher: Bugs, Daffy, etc. 
unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended, Historum joker

Quote unclefred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2012 at 12:11

My dad was crazy about Roadrunner and Wile E. Coyote. So I was too.

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2012 at 19:22
BBC 2 often broadcast puppet shows like Thunderbirds and Captain Scarlet before the rerun of Star Trek, but Stingray was my favorite:

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2012 at 19:22
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>