Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tribal masks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tribal masks
    Posted: 20-Jun-2012 at 19:38
You're right, it does have a feminine look to it. I was close when i suggested it celebrated marriage or motherhoodSmile
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2012 at 16:36
This is a Yaure Mask from the Ivory Coast, and an emblem of the Yu spirit, something considered to be dangerous, so to be handled with care. Supposedly these masks are not to be viewed by women, as is thought to reduce their level of fertility.  The masks are thought to bring about equilibrium of the community, and are warn on occasion of a death. The horns of the ram are funeral symbols, and the bird, domesticated birds, are symbols of appeasement to the gods or spirits.  

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 22-Jun-2012 at 16:57
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2012 at 19:13

Kenyan dancer's mask made from a turtle shell
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2012 at 20:06
Originally posted by Nick1986

Kenyan dancer's mask made from a turtle shell
Nice mask, Nick. A similar pattern to the Lega tribe masks from the Zaire/DRC region.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2012 at 19:04
Thanks Alani.Smile Let me see if i can find images of similar masks
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2012 at 19:24

Cowrie shell mask made by the Dan tribe of Liberia
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2012 at 20:06

This Sudanese mask looks like a chameleon
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2012 at 00:33

Cowrie shell mask made by the Dan tribe of Liberia
Nice mask, Nick, and such masks would have been used to communicate with the spirit world.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2012 at 19:18
Is that the reason for the wide eyes and opened mouth? The mask looks frightened (presumably by what the wearer came into contact with on the other side)
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2012 at 20:13

Is that the reason for the wide eyes and opened mouth? The mask looks frightened (presumably by what the wearer came into contact with on the other side)
I think, like some masks elsewhere, as they are to communicate with the spirits their appearance is of the dead. The one above I think represents a man rather than a woman, for those tend to have slit like eyes.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2012 at 19:09
Thanks Alani. I've noticed a few similarities between African spirit-worship and the Caribbean voodoo cult, especially "corpse paint" and specially adapted costumes in the absence of proper masks
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2012 at 00:50

Thanks Alani. I've noticed a few similarities between African spirit-worship and the Caribbean voodoo cult, especially "corpse paint" and specially adapted costumes in the absence of proper masks
As it happens, Nick, the Dan are from the Ivory coast in West Africa, not too far from Benin where the Fon language comes from, and that is where the term 'vodu' which becomes 'voodoo' originates from.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2013 at 17:27

Zulu tribe ritual mask

AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2013 at 05:32
Kuba People of Zaire Shene Malula African Mask

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 02-Jun-2013 at 05:33
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2013 at 15:17
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

Zulu tribe ritual mask

This mask looks like it's terrified, or in pain. Was it used for the circumcision ritual?
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2013 at 22:46

This mask looks like it's terrified, or in pain. Was it used for the circumcision ritual?
It's a Zulu secret mask. You tell the mask a secret you don't want to share with anyone else. Zulus aren't known for wearing masks at ceremonies.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2013 at 20:24
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2013 at 00:19

What do you make of this one Alani?
http://www.mariposamuseum.org/african_artifacts/147KEWDben/maraposa-africa-mask.html
I love these masks with a little providence. What I can gather is that it belonged to the King of Moero's village, in the Congo. Something, I think, to do with their tribe, the Lamba tribe, gaining a victory over a rival tribe, the Bemba tribe. A victory token then I guess. Very interesting indeed, Nick.Smile
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2013 at 18:22
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2013 at 09:35

Dogon animal masks
http://www.randafricanart.com/Dogon_masks.html
Thought you might be interested in this, as there's Dogon masks.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>