Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tribal masks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tribal masks
    Posted: 09-May-2012 at 19:19

African witchdoctors, chiefs and warriors wore elaborate masks for rituals representing gods, demons or deceased ancestors. This one comes from Ghana and seems to represent the ancient Horned God so widespread in the prechristian world
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2012 at 19:27

Could this Zulu mask be a representation of the white devils with their moustaches, sideburns and pith helmets?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2012 at 19:20

This African mask looks like a skull. Perhaps it's the god of death?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2012 at 20:51

Bronze Nigerian leopard mask
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2012 at 19:31

Another Nigerian mask
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2012 at 19:50

The Egyptians were the first African culture to use masks. This is Anubis, god of the dead
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2012 at 19:50

Ebony mask from the Congo decorated with shells. These cowries are still used as money in pre-industrialised societies
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2012 at 19:47

Traditional west Kenyan mask with glass beads
okamido View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended, tit for tat

Quote okamido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2012 at 14:22
Lemme see if I can get a pic of my Nigerian mask on here.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2012 at 19:14
Cool. Do you know how old it is Okamido?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2012 at 19:09
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2012 at 06:12
This is an example of a Guere Mask, typical of Liberia and the Ivory Coast. They are sometimes designated as war masks, but tended to be used for funerals and interrogating those people suspected of being guilty of some crime.

What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2012 at 19:11
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

This is an example of a Guere Mask, typical of Liberia and the Ivory Coast. They are sometimes designated as war masks, but tended to be used for funerals and interrogating those people suspected of being guilty of some crime.

Looks intimidating. The expression reminds me of a hanging judge about to pronounce sentence
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2012 at 00:42
Originally posted by Nick1986

Looks intimidating. The expression reminds me of a hanging judge about to pronounce sentence
I agree, Nick, and I think that might have been the point. Smile
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2012 at 00:53

This is a mba mask, which is a Afikpo mask. The Afikpo are a small subgroup of the Igbo people of Nigeria. The purpose of this mask is to be used while entertaining. This one is about nineteen inches high.

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2012 at 19:24

What do you make of this one Alani?
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2012 at 20:27

What do you make of this one Alani?
It looks a little like a kakuugu mask, a suku mask from the Democratic Republic of Congo. I say that because of the protruding cheeks. However I can't be too sure as I think they tend to have protruding chins too, and this example doesn't seem to have one. If so then I think the mask represents a dead chief, or something like that. 
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2012 at 19:38
I'm impressed by your knowledge Alani.Smile How did you get interested in African culture? 
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2012 at 23:57

I'm impressed by your knowledge Alani.Smile How did you get interested in African culture? 
Oh in such knowledge, Nick, I'm but a beginner, and in hope of expanding what I know. My interest, well a good part of it any way, has come about from bits and pieces of knowledge picked up on these history sites, and the realization that mainstream history misses such things out. Btw Nick, my knowledge is enhanced greatly by search engines, and it would be dishonest of me to try and pass everything off as stored knowledge in my own head.Smile

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 07-Jun-2012 at 23:59
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2012 at 00:19
This mask comes from the Yaka people who come from the Democratic Republic of Congo and Angola areas. This type of mask would be a one off and would have probably only been used the once, in association with a circumcision ceremonial process.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>