Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Galatians and Celts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
okamido View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended, tit for tat

Online Status: Offline
  Quote okamido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Galatians and Celts
    Posted: 05-May-2012 at 20:38
In terms of culture and customs, how exactly did the Galatians differ from the Celts from the European mainland? I know that there were various language differences, but does archaeology prove the Galatians to be vastly different to, let's say, the Gauls.
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2012 at 06:21
So you got a Gallic tribe (probably some Hellenisation) who settled in Dacia an were absorbed into a larger Dacian population, these Dacians would be a mixture of Dacian and Hellenic culture. Next some go to Asia Minor and are absorbed into a larger group of locals who were a mix of Anatolian and Hellenic culture.

The Hellenic culture would be the dominant, followed by Anatolian culture, followed by Dacian and then a few Gallic traditions.

Edited by Toltec - 06-May-2012 at 06:25
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
Diviacus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Diviacus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2012 at 06:32
There have been very few archaelogic findings related to Galatians. However they show some similarities to latenian artefacts.
Herefater a map od findings I already posted on another forum:

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2012 at 19:21
Galatian does sound like Gaul. Perhaps the inhabitants of France were descendents of these other Celts?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
rappelzdzd View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote rappelzdzd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2012 at 23:15
I do not know, take a look at
I heart which I could not help him
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2012 at 11:55
Spambot?
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2012 at 12:37
Possibility. I wait I watch.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2012 at 19:11
It's possible the Galatians Paul wrote to were Gauls from France rather than Yugoslavians:
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=trut4zl8JK4C&lpg=PA72&dq=galatia&pg=PA72#v=onepage&q&f=false
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2012 at 19:34
Turns out the opposite was the case: the Galatians were descended from Gaulish mercenaries who settled in northern Turkey
http://www.galloturca.com/galatians_files/chronology.htm
TITAN_ View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote TITAN_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2012 at 08:07
Most of the Galatians were Celtic tribes that were expelled from Greece circa 235 BC. They ended up in what's now modern Turkey, and they were known as HellenoGalatai (Greek Galatians = CeltoGreeks). So it was basically Celts who mixed up with existing Greek populations of Anatolia (Turkey).
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2012 at 19:46
Their adoption of a superior culture reminds me of the Gallo-Romans and Romano-British. So these Galtian Celts saw themselves as Greeks?
TITAN_ View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote TITAN_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2012 at 09:48
Originally posted by Nick1986

Their adoption of a superior culture reminds me of the Gallo-Romans and Romano-British. So these Galtian Celts saw themselves as Greeks?

Not exactly and not in all cases. The Celtic invasions in Anatolia produced what the ancient historians called HellenoGalatai, which were Celtic tribes that were absorbed by existing Greek populations. Gradually they were Hellenized, but how much they considered themselves " GraecoCelts" is unknown.
CedricEmrys View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote CedricEmrys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2018 at 18:45
Originally posted by Nick1986

Galatian does sound like Gaul. Perhaps the inhabitants of France were descendents of these other Celts?
that is Common knowledge
Buaidh no bàs
 Post Reply Post Reply