Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Seljuk minarets & Irish round towers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seljuk minarets & Irish round towers
    Posted: 24-Apr-2012 at 08:24
I see some similarities between these buildings, both of them are round towers which were built about 1,000 years ago, of course Seljuk minarets seem to be taller, they have a single door raised some meters above the ground, they can be religious buildings but it is not clear what their exact purpose was, ...

The round tower at Glendalough, Ireland:

Sareban minaret in Isfahan:

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 24-Apr-2012 at 08:33
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2012 at 20:09
Perhaps they were introduced by noblemen returning from the crusades? The tower would be a great observation post and easy to defend
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2012 at 22:22
I thought that a minaret's use was to provide the muezzin with a way to get high above the tops of town so everyone hears him as he calls for prayers. In Shumen, where I was born, there is a mosque, supposedly the largest mosque on the Balkans, and I had climbed up the minaret - the stair was very narrow and steep, goes in circles, so one gets dizzy by the time one reaches the top.

Edited by Don Quixote - 25-Apr-2012 at 22:23
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2012 at 00:20
Was Obelisk exchanged with minarets&towers?Place in front of obelisk was place for pray&sacrifice!Answer please!Smile
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2012 at 00:26
I never thought about this, this is an interesting question. It seems reasonable to me.Smile
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2012 at 00:36
Originally posted by Nick1986

Perhaps they were introduced by noblemen returning from the crusades? The tower would be a great observation post and easy to defend

Then? yup. Until they were mined, trenched and placed under siege and faced with equipment. Now....nope. But whatever their origins it's a simple and yet elegant style.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 26-Apr-2012 at 00:37
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2012 at 03:17
Originally posted by Don Quixote

I thought that a minaret's use was to provide the muezzin with a way to get high above the tops of town so everyone hears him as he calls for prayers. In Shumen, where I was born, there is a mosque, supposedly the largest mosque on the Balkans, and I had climbed up the minaret - the stair was very narrow and steep, goes in circles, so one gets dizzy by the time one reaches the top.

Of course if it really were a minaret, it should be for this purpose but some of these Seljuk minarets are in the regions where no one lived to hear adhan, like Ziyar Minaret (51 meters high), about 33km east of Isfahan:

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2012 at 20:28
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

Originally posted by Nick1986

Then? yup. Until they were mined, trenched and placed under siege and faced with equipment. Now....nope. But whatever their origins it's a simple and yet elegant style.

Even when facing a modern army, tall towers like these are ideal for snipers. By the time the enemy locks on to where the shooting came from, the sniper would have moved to another location
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2012 at 10:52
Needles they are still!
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2012 at 13:13
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

[QUOTE=Don Quixote] 
 Of course if it really were a minaret, it should be for this purpose but some of these Seljuk minarets are in the regions where no one lived to hear adhan, like Ziyar Minaret (51 meters high), about 33km east of Isfahan:

Then all I can think of is defensive purpose - someone to stand a watch over the nearby area and signal if there is an enemy coming; and to shoot arrows on the enemy from on nigh.
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2012 at 00:52
It is possible but I think of a lighthouse, they were also needed in the deserts to warn caravans and travellers.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2012 at 19:53
They had lighthouses in the desert? Perhaps this explains the "pillar of fire" that guided the Israelites to safety
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2012 at 20:20
Here's a question for Abdul: whose idea was it to instal minarets on the first mosques?

Post Reply Post Reply