Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Total Quiz X, part 4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Total Quiz X, part 4
    Posted: 27-Apr-2005 at 13:12
Please do not answer questions in this thread.

to the Questions:
click >> Total Quiz X, 4th and Final Part << click

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE WITH TOTAL QUIZ!

You can read Rules, Policies, ... here.

You will find the scores here, excluding bonus.

Multiple submissions are allowed, so you can correct previously wrong answers, add more details, or also answer questions you did not answer in your earlier submissions. First round will be finished after roughly 48 hours (on April 29th 10.30 PM CE time), and soon after finish of the first round I will announce the second round for all unanswered questions (next 24 hours).

Edited by Styrbiorn
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2005 at 17:23
Dawn, Q8, you got the original name right, the meaning was wrong though. Your founder answer differs from Serge's though, but I'll check it up.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2005 at 18:04
Dawn, Q8, you have only the meaning of the mordern name left - you posted it's origin, but translated wrong. And don't be sorry for that answer, it was correct

Q5 about Toyotomi, concerns his very first move.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2005 at 21:25
Is there a spelling mistake in "What ancient people funded"?

BTW, I changed the skin of the TQ page.
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2005 at 23:37
I noticed in the middle of me posting answers.
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2005 at 05:20

Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

Is there a spelling mistake in "What ancient people funded"?

Yes, sorry. BTW, that sentence is a real disaster, there is also a meaningless "was" in the middle.

The real question should be read: "What ancient people founded the city of . . ."

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2005 at 10:49
cavalry4ever, Q5, you are very close, but what was it he did?

cavalry4ever, Dawn, TJK, TT Paul, Q8, you were wrong on the meaning of the town's name.
cavalry4ever View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Retired AE Moderator Emeritus

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2005 at 20:33

I What is the story with Q5?

I ran out of ideas.

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2005 at 01:53
Q11, it is not Germany and Deutschland ber alles. Germany merely removed the first verse (and banned that) but kept the song. This country however, simply outlawed singing it but kept using and playing it anyway.

cavalry, Q6, the smaller of the two countries you submitted was correct.
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2005 at 02:15
Originally posted by cavalry4ever

I What is the story with Q5?

I ran out of ideas.

Looks like I submitted quite the humdinger.

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2005 at 06:42
yan:
You may use any sources you want
Q3, you got the empire, you'll get full points if you get the food to.
Q14, correct war.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2005 at 09:01
Personally, I couldn't care less who wins, as long they're not English(Wembley 66 and all that), so why is it that Paul gets a point for answering his own question(Q9) ? I think we should be told!
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2005 at 10:44

thanks for noticing.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2005 at 10:47
TJK, Q5, it's his really first career steps that's the answer, so to speak

Q6. Dawn, TJK and Paul all managed to guess the same thing - and the smaller country was among the answers.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2005 at 16:58
First round is over.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2005 at 17:51
And that's it. All questions have been answered, so Round Two is hereby cancelled. While I calculate bonus, enjoy yourself with the answers below.

Please vote for the best question, voting will be open until Sunday.

Q1: I proclaimed myself king and was declared a traitor. I sought help from those that should have been my enemy if I sided with the anointed ruler. One of the fellows sent to put down my revolt was to lead a revolt of his own in turn and executed. I eventually had to surrender but not before outliving said ruler. Who am I and who is the ruler? (by: Dawn)

A1:
Hugh ONeill, 2nd Earl of Tyrone and Elizabeth I of England. Link here

Those who answered completely: Paul, TJK
Those who answered partially:

Q2: Where did the word Stalin, from Joseph Stalin(1879~1953), come from and what does it mean? (by: demon)

A2:
Russian- Stal meaning "steel" and "in" originating form either Lenin or a possesive suffix "-in", "Man of Steel"

Those who answered completely: cavalry4ever, Dawn, Imperator Invictus, Komnenos, lennel, Mixcoatl, Paul, Serge L, TJK, TT, yan

Q3: According to legend, what food item, very popular in some parts of the world, were used as a communication device for a rebellion? Name the food and the empire that it helped overthrow. (by: Imperator Invictus)

A3:
It is said that Mooncakes were used to carry messages in the Ming rebellion against the Yuan Dynasty.

Those who answered completely:
Those who answered partially: yan

Q4: In a one of the most notable battles of its timeframe, in which a well supplied and outnumbering army was defeated, one of the commander on the winning side lost one of his arms. Then another commander on the winning side said he also lost an arm. Name the two commanders who lost one of their arms. (by: Imperator Invictus)

A4:
Stonewall Jackson and Robert E. Lee. Jackson was wounded and had his arm amputated, from which he later died. Upon his death, Lee said something like "He has lost his left arm, but I have lost my right arm," (Showing the significance Jackson was to Lee.)

Those who answered completely: Komnenos, Paul, TJK, TT

Q5: What did Toyotomi Hideyoshi do start out his rise as one of the 3 great unifers of Japan? (by: Gubuk Janggoon)

A5:
He looked after Oda Nobunaga's Sandals. More info provided by Dawn: During the wintertime, when Nobunaga was about to walk outside, the common soldier Hideyoshi prepared a shoe which had been warmed by Hideyoshi. (Nagahara 58) Nobunaga appreciated Hideyoshi's offering, and in return Nobunaga trained Hideyoshi as his general.

Those who answered completely: cavalry4ever, Dawn, Komnenos, Paul

Q6: Father and Son. Had his father been alive and still in power , by the time the son fought for the independence of his adopted homeland, they would have been on opposite sides. In any case, the liberation of this country from its colonial power came more than hundred years before that of their country of origin, which some argue is still not fully completed. Who are they, and what are the two countries? (by: Komnenos)

A6:
Ambrose OHiggins, Governor-General of Chile from 1788-1796 under Spanish rule and Bernado OHiggins , First President of Independent Chile from 1818-1823 Both were Irish.

Those who answered completely: TJK
Those who answered partially: cavalry4ever, Dawn, Paul

Q7: His first reign lasted ten years, until his people had enough and exiled him into the wilderness. But he came back, and this time, it was personal: His second term as ruler saw the streets running with blood, and the stench of the decomposing bodies of his enemies hung heavy in the air. But he couldnt care less anyway and reigned for another seven years until his long suffering subjects made sure there wasnt another sequel and killed him. Who was he and what treasure did he carry around with him, when he came back? (by: Komnenos)

A7:
Byzantine Emperor Justinian II Rhinometus (685-695, 705-711), He was first deposed in 695, his nose was cut off and he was sent to exile to the Khazars. When he came back for his second spell, he was wearing a golden strap-on nose.

Those who answered completely: Imperator Invictus

Edited by Styrbiorn
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2005 at 18:04
Q8: What ancient people founded the city of Bologna? What was the original name of the city? And what is the meaning of the present name? (by: Serge L)

A8:
1) Etruscans 2) Felsina 3) Abundance, from the Latin "Bononia". On #3, I have also accepted the answer city or fort, seeing many sites claiming Bononia itself might have been derived from Bona, Celtic for fortified.

Those who answered completely: cavalry4ever, Dawn, Komnenos, Paul, TT
Those who answered partially: Mixcoatl, TJK

Q9: Which humble object did the Anglo-Saxons describe the shape of the world as resembling? (by: Paul)

A9:
A bead. Again I have accepted an alternative answer, the flat disc. I have seen many references to that, so I accepted it.

Those who answered completely: cavalry4ever, Dawn, Komnenos, TJK

Q10: Among several different marriage ceremonies, one of the most peculiar was the following one. The bride was abducted at night, carried to the grooms house, where some people had to remove her dress, replace them with crude masculine clothes, shave her head bald and close her in a small cell-like room, as dark and ugly as possible, with just some straw as bed. After some time, the future husband came into that cell and brought her to his bedroom, where they consumed their marriage. Odd enough, despite this quite brutal use, the overall status of women in that country was comparatively good, compared to what was common in bordering countries at that age, and in antiquity in general, since women nearly enjoyed the same rights as men. Could you name that country? (by: Serge L)

A10:
Sparta. See, for instance: http://www.mnsu.edu/emuseum/prehistory/aegean/culture/womeno fsparta.html

Those who answered completely: Dawn, Paul, TT,

Q11: Which country outlawed singing the lyrics of its own anthem? (by: Mixcoatl)

A11:
The German Democratic Republic (aka DDR, East Germany). The lyrics of the anthem was outlawed since it didn't fit the Communist ideals of the DDR, but the tune was still kept and played.

Those who answered completely: Komnenos, yan

Q12: After leading a trans-Atlantic flight, an avenue in New York was named after him. A few days after his country declared war, which he initially didn't support, he was killed by friendly fire. Who am I talking about? (by: Mixcoatl)

A12:
Italo Balbo

Those who answered completely: Dawn, Komnenos, TJK

Q13: I was a military genius, yet my reign ended my country's military prowess. In the decisive battle, which I lost, I could not mount my horse. Who was I and which battle did I lose? (by: cavalry4ever)

A13:
Charles XII, king of Sweden, in the battle of Poltava. The reason the king was not able to mount his horse was that he was wounded and from that feverish. Thus he could not command, and watched the battle from a litter (which, being his lucky day, was hit by Russian artillery killing both horses pulling it).

Those who answered completely: c Komnenos, Paul, TJK

Q14: During a war which saw the destruction of many towns and villages, sometimes so atrocious even the contemporaries were shocked over the brutality, this town was delivered from destruction through most unusual means, namely by quaffing. The question is, what is the name of the town, the general who threatened it and the man who saved the day? (by: Styrbiorn)

A14:
During the Thirty Years' War, the Protestant town of Rothenburg ob der Trauber was saved from the Imperialists under Tilly by the so called Meistertrunk, Master Draught. After the town had resisted Tilly's orders of opening the gates and serve as winter quarters for his army, he threatened to execute the council and raze the town. However, on a whim he offered to save the town if someone could drink a whole cup of wine from the huge ceremonial goblet, some 3.5 litres, in one draught. An ex-mayor of the town, Georg Nusch, accepted and baffled everyone by succeding. The event is celebrated in Rothenburg to these days.

Those who answered completely: Komnenos, Mixcoatl

Edited by Styrbiorn
cavalry4ever View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Retired AE Moderator Emeritus

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2005 at 18:27
I did like the question 5. There is something philosophical about a small gesture leading to such an incredible destiny. I think all questions were excellent and tough.

Edited by cavalry4ever
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2005 at 00:15

och I played poorly this game.... dismisssing things that I shouldn't have...the answer to Q7 &3 and the other answer to Q9  not posting answers right so lthey get lost before the are posted ... oh well that's what happens when your busy I guess. 

Well played guys  

I think best question was #4

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2005 at 04:31
Thanks, styrbiorn, for organising the whole quiz and running it so smoothly!
I go with Q4 as well, bit of a challenge, but the clues weren't too obscure!
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>