Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Titanic Narrow Escapes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sidney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sidney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Titanic Narrow Escapes
    Posted: 10-Apr-2012 at 16:01
Its 100 years since the ship Titanic sunk in April 1912, and I happened to read that Milton Hershey, of the American Chocolate Company had planned to sail on the boat, but didn’t due to illness. Is there an official list anywhere of the people, (or does anyone know any names of those who would be on the list), who didn'tsail on the Titanic’s maiden voyage even though they had tickets, why they didn’t sail, and what happened to them afterwards?

Others I know of were Edgar Selwyn, co-founder of Goldwyn Pictures in 1919, and Alfred Vanderbilt of the business family, who was drowned on the Lusitania in May 1915.

Edited by Sidney - 10-Apr-2012 at 16:04
Leroy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Leroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2012 at 19:56
I'm sure there must be a register of tickets sold in some dusty archive or other. If not open to public access, perhaps the Titanic's shipping company the Cunard Line (then White Star Line) still has them.

Why do you want to know this? Are you looking for some conspiracy theory? Smile

Edited by Leroy - 10-Apr-2012 at 20:01
Sidney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Sidney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2012 at 13:30
No, not interested in fuelling a conspiracy theory. It was a terrible disaster.

Popular culture has been remembering all those people who sailed on the Titanic, as passenger or crew, and lost their lives, or lived through the trauma of the sinking and survived. I'm just curious about those who for some vaguery of fate just didn't go on board when they planned to - first class, second class, steerage or crew. What random event caused them not to board that boat, and what happened in their lives afterwards that might never have happened if they had sailed? Hershey didn't sail because his wife was ill, Selwyn didn't sail because he wanted to go to a play reading, I don't know about Vanderbilt.

There were surely others, but also others who claimed or had claims made for them which are unsubstantiated. I remember reading about a young boy who threw a tantrum when being taken on board and his family decided to postpone the trip, and they were all saved, as well as a story of a dream premonition that stopped another passenger from boarding. I don't recall the names, nor the reliability of the sources.

I've subsequently found this web-site;
http://bookofodds.com/content/view/print/662916
Which gives quite a few examples;
Miss Eva Wilkinson, assumed drowned on the Titanic, turned up at her mother’s house in 1927. She had missed her sailing and caught another boat to America. She served as a nurse in the Great War, and was captured by the Germans. (this sounds a bit odd - she must have known her family would be worried about her, and where was she between 1918-27?)
Thomas Hart, a fireman, got drunk and missed the sailing, but was also assumed drowned because an unknown person had stolen his papers and boarded in his place. He turned up at his mother’s house a month after the disaster, having been too embarrassed to appear before.
Colin MacDonald, Second Engineer, had a “hunch” about the ship and refused to board.
Several crew members failed to report, and three brothers named Slade were fired immediately before the sailing for drunkenness.
Fireman John Coffey deserted in Queenstown, Ireland.
50 people cancelled their reservations. J. P. Morgan had booked to sail on the maiden voyage, but business required him to remain in Europe. George Vanderbilt and his wife Edith cancelled their passage because of a superstitious feeling on the part of a relative.

(Plus the three people I mentioned earlier)

Edited by Sidney - 11-Apr-2012 at 13:31
unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended, Historum joker

Quote unclefred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2012 at 17:39
There are a couple good stories that you have mentioned. What was the reason for the long wait before the young lady finally contacted her family-the drunken brothers, those are the kind of real life history stories that make history interesting.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2012 at 19:26
Not everyone made it. Benjamin Guggenheim's servant chose to stay with his master, unwilling to leave when there were still women aboard
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Sidney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Sidney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2013 at 16:31
Another reputed narrow escapee was Daisy Stamper, an actress, who was due to sail to America on the Titanic in 1912, but cancelled at the last minute because her young son had contracted measles. That young son was the grandfather of the comedian Jack Dee.
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2013 at 17:55
Isador and Ida Straus, co-owners of Macy's, stayed aboard.  Isador Straus refused to board a lifeboat while women and children were still aboard the Titanic, and Ida Straus refused to leave his side.

Of greater interest is the nurse who sailed aboard  of all three of the great White Start Liners, Olympic, Britannic and Titanic, and survived both the Titanic and Britannic sinkings.

Edited by Mountain Man - 30-Jul-2013 at 17:59
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2013 at 12:22

http://historyplanet.wordpress.com/2012/08/03/violet-jessop-2/

Violet Jessop

Olympic, Titanic and Brittanic, any guesses which is which? 

In 1908 the White Star Line began the construction of 3 giant Olympic Class Ocean Liners that would be the three biggest ships ever built. In 1911 the first, RMS Olympic was completed, followed by RMS Titanic in 1912 and RMS Brittanic in 1915. While the Titanic’s story has become legend, the fact the other two ships had major disasters too remains more obscure.

Enter Violet Jessop born in Argentina in 1887 to Irish parents Violet had her first encounter with death at a young age as she survived tuberculosis. In 1911 Violet got a job on the newly completed RMS Olympic, the largest ship in the world and considered unsinkable. As the ship steamed out of Southampton on an ill-fated journey to New York the Olympic was hit by the aging Royal Navy ship HMS Hawk which was fitted with a ram. The ram tore deeply into the Olympic’s hull, flooding three of her sixteen water tight compartments (it would take five to flood to sink her as happened to Titanic) and Olympic was able to safely limp back to Southampton.

With the Olympic laid up for major repairs Violet was transferred to the Titanic and set sail on her maiden voyage 6 months later. On the fateful night Violet recalls being ushered onto a life boat pretty early so had a rather easy time of the most famous disaster, but not so of the next one. During WWI Violet volunteered for the Red Cross and was crazily posted on the third sister ship, Brittanic, which was serving as a hospital ship. In 1916 in the Aegean the Brittanic struck a mine and went down in 30mins, unlike the Titanic’s 2 hours. Violet made it to a lifeboat again but this time the lifeboat didn’t make it clear of the Britannic’s huge propellers and was sucked in, violet was forced to leap from the life boat amongst the dismembered limbes of the propeller’s victims expecting to be killed to but instead was sucked underwater by the disappearing hull. As she was sucked under the water as the ship went down she banged her head against the keel fracturing her skull.

You would think this third disaster would be enough and she wouldn’t want to go near the water let alone another Olympic class ship. But after the war Violet returned to work on the now repaired Olympic for another five years and continued sailing until 1950 when she retired at the age of 63.

Edited by Toltec - 01-Aug-2013 at 12:23
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
 Post Reply Post Reply