Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Sea of Japan".....doesn’t exist?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Sea of Japan".....doesn’t exist?
    Posted: 25-Aug-2004 at 17:44

Professor KimShin, from Kyonghee University, has claimed the error of the name "Sea of Japan"(#52) in the "Limits of Oceans and Seas" by IHO.

Basically, he has spent 30 years collecting maps and scripts in the site www.eastsea.org, and concluded the following:

1928/1937 "Limits of Oceans and Seas": Sea of Japan stretches up to Yellow sea, Southern China sea, China sea.

1953"Limits of Oceans and Seas": Sea of Japan stretches up to Eastern China Sea(#50), Inland Sea(#53)

Now, decoding as the way it is, Yellow sea would turn into Sea of Japan.  However, Yellow sea is a definite 51st sea, defined before Sea of Japan, which leads to the conclusion that Sea of Japan is undefined.

Also, Sea of Japan is never defined as to have been east to Korea by IHO,  and since it is not connected to eastern mainland called Korean peninsula, it cannot be independent to Pacific.

comments

Grrr..
Roughneck View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Roughneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2004 at 17:50
What about it having two names depending on who you ask?
[IMG]http://img160.exs.cx/img160/7417/14678932fstore0pc.jpg">
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2004 at 19:20
The problem is that it's undefined 
Grrr..
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2004 at 20:02
From what I understand, the sea next to korea was "East Sea" and the sea above "East Sea" was "Sea of Japan"...AS Japan's power grows and it annexes Korea all becomes "Sea of Japan'...We should name it "sea of coprosperity" or "Sea of Buyeo"...seeing that's the ethnic strain that Koreans and Japanese have in common
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2004 at 20:09
The way the sea between Britain, France, and norway is called North sea, to evade some nationalistic clashes
Grrr..
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2004 at 22:06

That sea has always been called the East sea "Dong Hai" even for the Japanese, doesn't matter the pronouncation of the nation you come from, the Kanchi (Chinese character) is the same, East Sea.  Yellow sea only refers to the area between QingDao (San Dong peninsula) and Korean peninsula.  This is due to yellow river's mud making the sea yellow.  That area is also called Bo hai (The Bo sea).  Is has been recorded as that name since there was Chinese writing.  Further out of this sea, which is beyond these two peninsulas will be the East Sea.

There is also a North Sea of North East Asian countries.  It is ocean above the Korean peninsula.  Sometime in Chinese literature tho, it also refers northern part of Mongolia north sea.  Perhaps it is because the mongolians call their vast grass plains sea.  

Edited by hansioux
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2004 at 02:48
Originally posted by hansioux

There is also a North Sea of North East Asian countries.  It is ocean above the Korean peninsula.  Sometime in Chinese literature tho, it also refers northern part of Mongolia north sea.  Perhaps it is because the mongolians call their vast grass plains sea.  

i sometimes wonder...how could the mongols have a word in their language for sea? i mean, i'm sure back in the days before their frontiers stretched out to the sea, they wouldn't have seen a sea before.

I/eye View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote I/eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2004 at 02:54

I think the "Dong Hae" of Korea should be called "East Korea Sea"

just like the "Dong Hai" of China is called the "East China Sea"

[URL=http://imageshack.us]
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2004 at 04:44

i sometimes wonder...how could the mongols have a word in their language for sea? i mean, i'm sure back in the days before their frontiers stretched out to the sea, they wouldn't have seen a sea before.

Who knows...my theory is that they made up the word similar to lake, because they surely have seen the Baikal lake

Grrr..
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2004 at 05:32
Originally posted by I/eye

It would be talking a bout the same sea...

It is a little illogical to cal the North Sea: The Dutch North Sea, The German North Sea, no? 

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2004 at 05:33
Originally posted by demon

Who knows...my theory is that they made up the word similar to lake, because they surely have seen the Baikal lake

Even the Tibetans have the word for Sea.  In fact the Dali in Dali Lama means sea.  However they also refer to their lakes as sea.....

YanWang View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote YanWang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 12:22
Originally posted by hansioux

Originally posted by I/eye

It would be talking a bout the same sea...

It is a little illogical to cal the North Sea: The Dutch North Sea, The German North Sea, no? 

well. I agree with I. In fact,"Dong Hai(East Sea)" for chinese people is China's East Sea or East China Sea.  "Nan Hai(South Sea)" is China's South Sea or South China Sea.

For "Sea of Japan" in maps made by both china and japan, it was known as Riben Hai(Japan Sea). so i think the word "Sea of Japan" is not a proper geographical words  since it sounds like a japanese property, it would better be translated as Japan Sea. Of course , korean can call it East Korea Sea instead.

What is Your Question Again?
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 13:33
Of course , korean can call it East Korea Sea instead.

Sorry to interrupt you, Koreans never call it East Korean sea= it was East sea.  And the Chinese East sea is Yellow sea as far as I know.

Grrr..
 Post Reply Post Reply