Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WTF do they learn at school

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WTF do they learn at school
    Posted: 26-Apr-2005 at 14:21
Aren't you guys pissed off at those people who claim the Holy Roman Empire as an Italian one? It really piss me off to see those.

Aside of the ranting first part, I would like you to post your view on the Holy Roman Empire, I have mine.

To me, it was a sort of German Imperial Confederation, but I don't really consider the one of Charlemagne as the Holy Roman Empire. I would rather use Carolingian Empire or Frankish Empire to define it. For me, the Holy Roman Empire really started by Otton I IMO.
Vae victis!
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2005 at 17:16

heh, never heard that claim...

for me, the Holy Roman Empire can be divided into 2 general periods, further subdivided into more. those 2 general periods were the unified Empires 800 to mid 1200s (end of Hohenstauffen rule), which is further subdivided into the Frankish and the German periods. and the second general period, the period of fragmentation (Interregnum onwards) which i subdivide into three smaller periods, the first from Interregnum to the Augsburg religious peace (loss of central authority), the second from the Augsburg religious peace until the westphalian peace 1648 (loss of religious unity), and the third from 1648 to the end 1806 (loss of political unity).

Berosus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Berosus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2005 at 07:03
I agree with Temujin's assessment of the Empire after 1250.  For the earlier part, keep in mind that there was an interregnum of sorts between Charlemagne and Otto I.  Charlemagne's original Holy Roman Empire went to pieces a generation after his death, and when the Pope decided to bring back the title of Holy Roman Emperor for the king of Germany (Otto I at this stage), even most of the pieces were gone; I think France was the only country at this point that still had a Carolingian monarch.

Voltaire said it all when he asked how anyone could describe the HRE as holy, Roman, or an empire.
Nothing truly great is achieved through moderation.--Prof. M.A.R. Barker
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2005 at 07:08

I believe the HRE is not equivalent to the Frankish empire, the Frankish empire would include Francia occidentalis and the HRE plus other territories. It should be clear that Charlemagne was the emperor of the HRE but king of the Franks.  The analogy to this was Kaiser Wilhelm II being king of Prussia but emperor of Germany.

Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2005 at 07:13

Didn't someone post a joke about the HRE, it was not roman, neither holy nor an empire. Hehehehe.

Post Reply Post Reply