Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HMS Victory

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HMS Victory
    Posted: 18-Mar-2012 at 16:28

Nelson's flagship already had a long and distinguished career before Trafalgar. Built in 1765, she saw action with Keppel at Ushant, Howe at Cape Spartel, and Jervis at the battle of Cape St Vincent. Preserved in drydock at Portsmouth since 1922, she is the oldest battleship in the Royal Navy and serves as the flagship of the Second Sea Lord.

Something which might be useful for Hamster's dissertation:
Memoirs of John Jervis
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2012 at 19:13
Thomas Hardy was captain of the Victory when Nelson was shot at Trafalgar. Years later as First Sea Lord he ordered Victory to be broken up, but his wife convinced him to rescind the order

http://www.nelson-society.com/
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2012 at 19:25
A fall from the rigging normally meant certain death as the unfortunate sailor either plunged into the ice-cold sea or smashed his body on the deck below. In this case, however, the drowning boy was saved by the quick response of Lt. Webb (O'Brian's naval annual, 1855):
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=A3cmAAAAMAAJ&dq=hms%20victory&pg=PA112#v=onepage&q&f=false
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2012 at 19:15

Obsolete by the mid-19th century, Victory was hulked and turned into a naval school. She also spent time as a hospital ship before her restoration in the 1920s
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2012 at 19:21
Victory was still in service in the 1860s when she was fitted with new Armstrong-Whitworth guns. She remained in active service until 1889 when she was converted into a barracks and telegraphy training school:
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=nw8TAAAAYAAJ&dq=hms%20victory&pg=PA176#v=onepage&q=hms%20victory&f=false
 Post Reply Post Reply