Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tippu: India's Napoleon?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tippu: India's Napoleon?
    Posted: 17-Mar-2012 at 19:13

Tippu was a Muslim sultan who waged a successful war against the East India Company. His army was equipped with the latest muskets and trained by French officers. Known as the "Tiger of Mysore" Tippu was a ruthless adversary who showed no mercy to captives, driving nails through the heads of British prisoners and massacring Indian Christians

Edited by Nick1986 - 17-Mar-2012 at 19:18
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
oxydracae View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oxydracae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2012 at 02:21
Napoleon ?

Tipu Sultan was fighting for his own existence against the British.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2012 at 19:39
Originally posted by oxydracae

Napoleon ?

Tipu Sultan was fighting for his own existence against the British.

So was Napoleon in the early years of the French revolution. He successfully defended France from foreign attempts to restore the fat, inbred Bourbon tyrants against the will of the people
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2012 at 01:44
The Napoleon of India, well he met his final defeat at the hands of Wellington.
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2012 at 19:10
That's true Toltec
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2012 at 21:28
Perhaps it's better to say Napoleon was the Tipu Sultan of France as Tipu came first.

History Planet Website
<br /
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2012 at 19:12
That doesn't sound nearly as impressive. Everyone knows who Napoleon was and (Eurocentric as this sounds) he is the model all the great generals aspire to imitate
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2012 at 11:56
Napoleon was a greater tactician and general than Tipu, that is true. But Tipu used rocket artillery in his army, so in my mind that makes him 100 times cooler than Napoleon. Tongue
oxydracae View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oxydracae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2012 at 21:19
major difference is that Napoleon created a vast empire in Europe whereas comparatively Tipu Sultan doesnt has that much influence in Indian Subcontinent.

and most of teh technology used by Tipu in his wars was imported from France.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2012 at 20:56
Boney lasted a lot longer than Tipu and even forced the Brits to make peace in 1804.  The French and English armies also used rockets, but these were nowhere near as reliable as conventional cannon and muskets
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2012 at 19:20
Select letters of Tippoo Sultan to his military commanders:
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=n9FCAAAAcAAJ&dq=tippoo&pg=PP13#v=onepage&q&f=false
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2012 at 02:09
Originally posted by Kakatiya

Napoleon was a greater tactician and general than Tipu, that is true. But Tipu used rocket artillery in his army, so in my mind that makes him 100 times cooler than Napoleon. Tongue

True 100 times cooler. Britain adopted the use of rockets after meating Tipu too.

Originally posted by Nick1986

Boney lasted a lot longer than Tipu and even forced the Brits to make peace in 1804. The French and English armies also used rockets, but these were nowhere near as reliable as conventional cannon and muskets

Wellington always said Assaye was a much tougher battles for him than Waterloo.

History Planet Website
<br /
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2012 at 19:41
Do you know any more about Hooky's time in India Toltec? It must have had a big impact as he was one of the few generals to get the better of Boney

Edited by Nick1986 - 25-Mar-2012 at 19:42
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2012 at 02:37
All I know is there are very few books that cover that period and all are ridiculously expensive except one, Wellington the Iron Duke, by Richard Holmes. A good read, covers his entire life pretty evenly. Covers his pre India campaigns too.

His first action in India is where he suffered his heaviest defeat and it was from him neglecting proper scouting, listening to others, underestimating the enemy and advancing in typical British army manner. All things he never did again for his entire career, so yes, a pretty big inpact on his career.

History Planet Website
<br /
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2012 at 19:05
Could the skirmishing tactics of the famed 95th Rifles have been inspired by the snipers Hooky would have encountered in India? The northern tribes had a reputation for being crackshots and, using primitive matchlock muskets, hunted small birds known as snipes which were notoriously difficult to hit
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2012 at 23:23
Britain's lights regiments come from the American War of Independence and French Indian Wars experience where Britain realised it was painfully short of skirmishers. John Moore trained the light regiments personally in the 1790's and Wellington was tripley lucky. Moore's death at Corunna put him in command, inheriting Moore's light Division and that many people theorise Napoleon's early victories over European armies were because of his large and well trained light units, most Europeans armies didn't have any troops even capable of skirmishing. Later on European armies adopted large number of light troops too and the French superiority died, the French were never superior to the British because Britain was the only enemy able to match the French skirmisher for skirmisher from the start of the war.

Moore was a Whig and had a not particularly lovable personality, the Tories were in power, both the government and Wellington himself played down the importance of Moore in Wellington's victories. A lot of people speculate had Moore not been killed he'd have done just as well in Spain as Wellington, most likely with Wellington as an able number two the way Hill was to Wellington.

Edited by Toltec - 26-Mar-2012 at 23:30

History Planet Website
<br /
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2012 at 19:19
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2012 at 14:22
Hyder Ali was more accomplished imo, better at diplomacy too. His son seems more of a hot tempered tyrant who went out in a blaze of glory, which I guess makes for better storytelling.
Arrrgh!!"
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2012 at 18:31
Tipu's rockets were terrifying weapon when used against green troops. British inventor William Congreve reverse-engineered captured examples and used them to equip Britain's own rocket corps in the war against Boney:
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=KDSqLsOHc9UC&lpg=PA685&dq=mysore%20rocket&pg=PA685#v=onepage&q&f=false
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2012 at 18:58
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>