Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Paleo Amerindian Artifacts, Caution Needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paleo Amerindian Artifacts, Caution Needed
    Posted: 17-Mar-2012 at 12:46
This thread is the result of a PM sent me by Cryptic.  He mentioned a TV show called "Auction Hunters".  There was a mound builder effigy pipe that sold for 3,000.  Cryptic's concern was that it looked too perfect and the expert who authenticated it did only a cursory exam.  Cryptic asked if there was a lot of fake Amerindian artifacts out there.
My reply is that it's a veritable cottage industry.  I don't buy artifacts.  If I did, I wouldn't buy from the net, and certainly not from E-Bay.
There are many folks out there practicing the fine old art of flintknapping.  Most do it for fun, or historical interest.  Some consider it "art" and even sign their work.
Many of them keep what they make or give them as gifts to others.  The problem occurs when these items get out into the world and are passed off as authentic.

What follows are examples of modern knapping.  BTW, Toltec might have more of this.

These are copies of the Ho Hokum style of points made in the last year.  These were made by a "hobbyist".

This a modern corner Tang point.  Pressure flaked and even heat treated as the Amerinds did.

These are a group of large spear points usually called "Grey Ghosts".  They were made by a man named Bryan Reinhardt in the 40's through the early 80's.  He made them on an industrial scale.  He didn't sell to the public, only wholesale.  A minimum order was a gross, 144.  He sold them for approx. 2.00 ea. Considering some of the orders were in the thousands, there are a load of these out there.  They were mainly sold to tourists along rt 66 for about 3.00 ea.  They are nearly impossible to separate from the real thing.

More to come as I have time.

Edited by red clay - 17-Mar-2012 at 12:54
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2012 at 03:03
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
 Post Reply Post Reply