Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Largest empire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Largest empire
    Posted: 25-Aug-2005 at 01:17
The Regnal Chronology calculates the Mongol Empire at 1268, as it says. I think if you count the Mongols at 1290, it was could've been larger than the British Empire.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2005 at 01:48
The Hispano-Portugese Empire of Philip II (Philip I of Portugal) and successors 1581-1640 (it might not have been the most extense, as most of its diffuse claims are not actually considered, but it was actually worldwide):

Spanish empire in orange and Portugese in green.

Edited by Maju

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2005 at 04:09
But in land terms they aren't so great.. i believe.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2005 at 04:56
Originally posted by rider

But in land terms they aren't so great.. i believe.

It depends... they claimed all non-Christian lands and the Pope (kind of UN General Secretary of the time) supported them

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Nagyfejedelem View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Nagyfejedelem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2005 at 12:32
All-known that the biggest one was the Mongol Empire.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2005 at 10:56

Adding up the areas of all countries under British control at the height of the empire I come to a figure roughly one million square kilometres short of the estimate placed earlier in this thread... I had to estimate the areas where the borders of British colonies don't coincide with modern states, but these estimates wouldn't throw out my tally by more than 20,00 square kilometres at most - a figure far smaller than the required 1,000,000 to eliminate the discrepancy. My estimate is 35,685,619 the estimate in the table was 36,666,630. That is a diference of 1,038,789... or an area larger than all but the five largest colonies. Besides, there is the issue that Australia, at least, by 1901 was a sovereign state. If we consider this grounds for removing it, then the total comes to just 28,003,319 - much smaller than the Mongol Empire.

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2005 at 18:38
It depends on what you consider a sovereign state. Effectively I believe that Australia was still a part of the British Empire. It was an Imperial Dominion which made it self-governing. Australia still had at its head of state the British monarch, still regarded themselves as loyal Anglo-Celtic members of the Empire, and owed such allegiance to Britain that whenever the Empire was at war Australia was too. In my eyes Australia continued to be a part of the British Empire effectively up until the Fall of Singapore, when cultural and military alignment shifted to the USA.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2005 at 18:51
If you start considering subjective sympathies and simple alliances, then the largest empire is no doubt that of the USA: they just own the world (maybe with the exception of China, Iran and a few Latin American countries). 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2005 at 05:55

Originally posted by Maju

If you start considering subjective sympathies and simple alliances, then the largest empire is no doubt that of the USA: they just own the world (maybe with the exception of China, Iran and a few Latin American countries). 

You have this the wrong way round. Much of the USA is owned by foreign countries, notably Britain, Japan and Germany. That wasn't true of any other major empires.

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2005 at 21:34

Well I think there is more to it than a subjective sympathy. The national anthem was British, the currency was British, the ethnic stock was overwhelmingly Anglo-Celtic, the flag contained the emblems of the British Empire.

If you asked Australians at the time whether they were part of the British Empire then well over 90% would have answered "yes". Allegiance was to the British Crown and the British sovereign was (still is) our head of state. At that period in history to ever have been out of alignment with British foreign policy would have meant political suicide for an Australian government, Australia was happily accepted by the vast majority of people as being a loyal part of the British Empire. Even immigration policy until the end of WWII was discriminatory to ensure the vast bulk of migrants were Anglo-Celtic. I really don't see this intimate link between Australia and the British Empire breaking until the practical and symbolic linkages were removed during WWII.

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2005 at 23:07
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Even immigration policy until the end of WWII was discriminatory to ensure the vast bulk of migrants were Anglo-Celtic. I really don't see this intimate link between Australia and the British Empire breaking until the practical and symbolic linkages were removed during WWII.

Up until the end of WWII the Australian government would only take British and Irish immigrants. At the end of the war Australia faced a problem, there was such a labour shortage in the UK immigrants dried up.

The Australian government decided to combat this by letting selected northern Europeans in. They restricted this to Poles, Germans, Scandenavians and Dutch. One boat load made it to Sidney harbour from Poland when the authorities discovered they were Jews and sent the boat straight back to Europe.

By the end of the forties Australia reverted to a primarily British and Irish only policy again. Throughout the fifites and sixties with TV advertising they attracted about six million migrants about half what they wanted.

One phenomena Australia had noticed was the fact that not all British were as white as they seemed and had India or native ancestors, this often skipped a generation and a white migrant could have positively dark skinned children. To stamp this out during this 1950's/60's migration the Australian government made every British migrant attend a medical at the Australian embassy in London. The test was to guage their skin pigmentation, to check there ancestry back several generationns and run a series of similar test. Effectively a virtually similar test in both reason, methodology and crackpot science to the one the Germans had to trace Aryan purity before being allowed to join the SS.

So who said Nazism died in 45. Finanly in the 70's British immigration dried up again and Australia allowed immigrants at first from any European country and later any country.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2005 at 02:02

It is true that at first the immigration policy favoured Anglo-Celtic peoples, but the Second World War made a practical impression on the nation which changed that. We did have a severe labour shortage, with huge natural resources and an efficient industry which simply lacked manpower. Immigration of Southern Europeans and East Europeans was allowed as early as the 40s and 50, with our large Italian and Greek populations mostly having arrived in the 50s-60s.

It was not really until the 70s that the Euro-centrism finally came to an end. A few boatloads of Vietnamese refugees arrived and as our government had committed itself to the Vietnam War to have sent these people back to Asia could only have spelt further condemnation from a general public already thoroughly disenchanted with that segment of our country's history. Our mmigration policy until recently has been very racist and is today still selective about who to take, though now on the basis of English skills and economic attributes of the migrant in question. Though to our credit we have one of the highest refugee intake numbers of any country on Earth, quite often second only to Canada's prior to the Tampa incident.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2005 at 09:49

Prime Minister William Hughes' attempts to introduce conscription during WWI failed, despite the fact that was a policy in line with British demands. The population obviously wasn't THAT loyal to Britain.

And the fact that the British monarch was Australia's head-of-state remains true to today... but few Australians would consider themselves anything other than Australians. That said, the 1998 referendum on the formation of an Australian republic was voted down, although I warrant the incumbent prime minister at the time had a slight bias towards the monarchy and that was partially responsible for the result.

Anyway, I take your point, though. Culturally Australia was effectively part of the British Empire till 1942 when the British finally met with a superior imperial power in the form of Japan. Technically, however, the British Empire ceased to exist in 1931 with the establishment of equality between dominions and the UK in the Statute of Westminster. Australia, however, didn't ratify the Statute until 1942 (the year of Singapore's fall).

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2005 at 16:22
Originally posted by Findlay

Culturally Australia was effectively part of the British Empire till 1942 when the British finally met with a superior imperial power in the form of Japan.

??? If Britain hadn't been fighting the Germans already, do you really think the Japanese would have been so successful, except in the initial stages of British unreadiness.

The Empire and Commonwealth had far greater resources in men, money and materials than Japan.

Who won the war in Burma?

Technically, however, the British Empire ceased to exist in 1931 with the establishment of equality between dominions and the UK in the Statute of Westminster.

Not entirely true.  If I remember correctly after Westminster it became the 'British Empire and Commonwealth' (or maybe 'British Empire and Commonwealth). I forget exactly when it simply became the 'British Commonwealth' or just 'the Commonwealth' but it was well after WWII.

The 'Empire Games' became the 'Commonwealth and Empire Games' from 1950 in Auckland onwards. The Kingston Games of 1966 were the first referred to as the 'Commonwealth Games'. Since the Games are quadrennial I assume the official change came between 1962 and 1966, which fits with when virtually all the colonies became independent.

Australia, however, didn't ratify the Statute until 1942 (the year of Singapore's fall).

I never knew that.

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2005 at 23:12
Well when Billy Hughes was attempting to introduce conscription roughly 10% of the total Australian population was serving in the war, purely through volunterring. Conscription was voted down but Australian loyalty to the British Empire was such that the measure was hardly needed, not because Australians considered themselves independent of the Empire.

Also it is important to consider that Australia was no longer colonial in status, but a dominion. Dominion states operated with a more independent relationship towards Britain than the colonies. Until Queen Elizabeth, Britain still retained effective sovereignty, military occupation, economic leverage etc over dozens of today's nations. When they ceased to have that direct control and influence they ceased to be an Imperial power.

And yes, Britain was still far more powerful than Japan. Aside from being preoccupied with the Nazis, Britain's early losses also occured thanks to lightning Japanese surprise attacks. In the longer run the British possessed a far greater economic and military basis and could have defeated Japan by herself.
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2005 at 11:55

Not meaning to change the subject but out of curiousity Constantine, I was wondering what is the current opinion on Britain from Australians today in that how popular is the monarchy and how close the Australians feel to Britain? your personal opinion would be handy to.

It does seem Australia is getting closer and closer to becoming a republic these days.

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2005 at 20:24

Well Heraclius, I will answer as best I can. And don't worry about the change in topic, it's been changed plenty of times since the thread began .

Australians are conservative generally, but only slightly so. They are also adaptable at a level which surprises me at times. But adaptation only occurs when there is a need for it. In 1998 we did have the referendum for a Republic, a form of voting where a majority of citizens and a majority of states must vote in favour of the proposal for it to carry. This is the most direct form of democracy we have in a political system where only representative parliamentary democracy is truly feasible. Only one state out of six had a majority of citizens vote in favour of a republic, and a majority of citizens overall voted against it. The slogan of the Constitutional Monarchist side was "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" which I think worked quite well.

The other thing which turned Australians away was that the way the Republicans were putting forward the notion was in such a way to resemble Americans in their drive for a republic, and to propose legislation for vain-glorious, self indulgent purposes is never something which strikes a chord with Aussies (sorry if I sound overly full of my country but Australians can be very suspicious and cynical about things they see no hard, practical value in). America needed its revolution, but all the referendum would have changed is the official head of state and a few minor positions in the bureaucracy so it was basically a fairly hollow set of proposals. Australians remained a Constitutional Monarchy more because the system worked well for them and they saw no good reason to change it, rather than loyalty to Britain and the Crown (though with some people that was a good reason to vote NO to the referendum). Though I am certain that one day Australia will be a republic, it's just a matter of the Republican lobby producing a catchy advertising campaign or the Governor-General (Queen's representative in Australia) making a major stuff up.

My opinion of Britain is not that of a typical Australian, because I am a lover of history. Your average Aussie knows a bit of our history, but doesn't think too much about the UK except where family (and alot have British relatives) and sport is concerned. Australia is overwhelmingly a product of the British though, according to the 2001 census 93% of our population are Caucasian, with 70% of the total ethnic origins of our people being traced back to either Britain or Ireland, making us a hugely Anglo-Celtic people. I have a good opinion of Britain, because I realize the massively beneficial long-term impact their colonization had and if any other European nation had settled here this place would probably be a developing world nation. Personally I have alot of admiration that that one small island has managed to give birth to the most powerful civilization in the world today, has given a huge amount (inspite of the bad points all Empires have) to the world, and learnt the lessons of the American Revolution to create the vibrant state I live in.

Your average Aussie likes to poke fun at the Brits, but harbours no real animosity. It is all the football-team like rivalry that we develop with any nation with whom we have prominent relations. People here were still deeply shocked by the London bombings, so we have a genuine concern for the British as a related people. To be honest your average Aussie doesn't concern himself with much more than trivial domestic politics when it comes to thinking about politics, but I suspect historians will grudgingly acknowledge the British left a fairly benevolent legacy here and gave us a solid foundation.

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2005 at 22:04

Its nice to hear that Australia the most distant of the colonies still holds onto the ties our two nations have, instead of breaking them and going off alone forgetting its past. I see Australians and Canadians etc as our close cousins even brothers, so I want our nations to stay close because we are similar in so many ways. Its in our best interests anyway to remain close.

By the way  That slogan is just perfection

The rivalry between us can be intense, more so since its pretty clear England will win the Ashes   but yes  its nothing more than that kind of rivalry, I have to say though there is a feeling I get from people here that they believe that Australia is bordering on hatred for the English and British as a whole. Perhaps we just lack a sense of humour sometimes when it comes to the Aussies winding us up abit, wouldnt be fun I suppose if us Brits didnt take it seriously and over react as usual.

The British empire recieves so much unfair press its unbelievable, you'd think the empires aim was mass genocide and nothing else if you listened to hollywoods blinkered view on things.

I see the empire as planting the seeds and the people growing in their own right into what they are today, with perhaps a guiding hand to begin with from the homeland, but Australia and other ex-colonies have flourished in their own right (and continue to) and Britain should be immensely proud of them, because I certainly am.

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2005 at 05:01
I agree that Britain gets an unfair press and Hollywood slanders her more than it should. Out of all the Empires Britain was both the most successful and the most beneficial for the long term interests of her subject nations. The nations which have kept the British legacies of parliamentary democracy, the legal system and other facets of British civilization seem far more progressive than the other beleaguered former colonies of other Empires. That's a generalization with exceptions, but I believe it to be true.

And no, you Brits do not lack a sense of humour. I love the British sense of humour, it is so rich and the Brits have the ability to laugh at themselves which is great. Why should nations like Australia and Canada sever ties with such a vibrant nation which still has so much to offer! I have also found Canadians some of the most enjoyable and pleasant company.

Oh and as for those Ashes, keep them, mate. The "gentleman's game" bores me on mind numbing levels. Have you ever heard of/watched a game of Australian Rules Football? Plenty of action, alot of agility and speed in that.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2005 at 14:17

Originally posted by Heraclius

The rivalry between us can be intense, more so since its pretty clear England will win the Ashes   

I'm happy with the two of you here, but I wish you hadn't said that.

At stumps tonight I'm looking at the prospect of Australia getting 300-odd more runs tomorrow, and then Warne getting England out in a day for less than 200.

Pray for more rain.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>