Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

magazines

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
hazel View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: magazines
    Posted: 10-Mar-2012 at 06:33
Perhaps I am wrong but I think the "magazines" you are suggesting are online magazines. What I am looking for is a   paper magazine to which I can subscribe. Thank you.
War is a crime against humanity.
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2012 at 08:06
These I think have printed issues.

Alabama Heritage
Quarterly magazine about the history of Alabama.

American Heritage
Quality magazine covering America's past and present, including biographies of famous personalities, popular music, business, politics, art, war, and culture.

BBC History Magazine
UK best-selling history magazine covering all periods from pre-history to the present. Also features book reviews and guides to historic properties that can be visited around the UK.

British History
Comprehensive British history survey, including historical documents, the monarchy, the Celtic world and the arts.

Civil War News
Includes coming events, book reviews, letters, researcher's needs, reenactment photos, and more.

Common-place
Articles and book reviews on early US history.

Concord Review
Exemplary essays by high school students of history from thirty-three countries.

History and Theory
Abstracts from the international journal devoted to the theory and philosophy of history.

History News Network
Read news articles that relate history to the present and catch up with historians' views of current events. Includes articles from the left and right.

History Place
Magazine covering various topics of American and world's history. Features photos and highlights of historic events.

History Today
Premier history magazine covering wide range of issues.

Left History
Features articles from a variety of theoretical approaches including feminist, marxist and postmodernist on topics such as race, ethnicity, class, culture, the state.

Old News
Tells the stories of the people and events that have changed the world, from 400 B.C. to the early 20th century.

Race and History
Collection of resources for exploring ancient people of the world. Particular focus on the African diaspora.

Random History
Features little-known history about a variety of different topics with collection of brief histories and word origins.

Smithsonian Magazine
Widely respected magazine discussing nature, history, science and the arts.

TheHistoryNet.com
Online presentation of many history magazines covering wide range of historical issues.

What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2012 at 08:11
These ones are listed for archaeology.

American Journal of Archaeology
One of the world's most distinguished classical archaeology journals featuring articles, book reviews and excavation reports.

Anistoriton
Peer-reviewed online magazine of history, archaeology and art history.

Anthropology in the News
Anthropology and archaeology news gathered from newspapers, journals and other media worldwide.

Archaeologica
Find daily archaeological news from across the world.

Archaeology
Popular magazine covering worldwide archaeology, written by professionals for the general public. Includes incisive articles, colorful graphics, and high quality photos.

Archaeology Channel
Streaming media and educational resources about archaeology and indigenous peoples.

Archaeology News
Live up to the minute archaeology news from world wide sources and free news feeds for your site.

Athena Review
Journal of archaeology, history, and exploration. Also features image archive, exhibition reports and book reviews.

Biblical Archaeology Review
Covers both the Old and New Testaments, and presents the latest discoveries and controversies in archaeology with photography, informative maps and diagrams.

Current Archaeology
Leading UK archaeology magazine, mainly devoted to excavations and covering all periods.

Expedition
Sample articles from magazine offering access to the latest findings of archaeologists and anthropologists around the world.

Megalithic Portal
Portal dedicated to megalithic and prehistoric sites in England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales. Includes detailed maps, dig news, forum and sites under threat.

Minerva
International magazine of ancient art and archaeology. Site features selected articles, book reviews, news and events.

Past Horizons
Magazine for volunteers to find archaeological sites and projects around the world, with travel tips, galleries, forum and more.

Smithsonian Magazine
Widely respected science magazine regularly covering archaeological topics.

What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
hazel View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote hazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2012 at 08:15
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

These I think have printed issues.
<p style="font-size: 13px; font-family: Verdana; line-height: normal; ">Alabama Heritage<br style="font-size: 10pt; ">Quarterly magazine about the history of Alabama.

<p style="font-size: 13px; font-family: Verdana; line-height: normal; ">American Heritage<br style="font-size: 10pt; ">Quality magazine covering America's past and present, including biographies of famous personalities, popular music, business, politics, art, war, and culture.

<p style="font-size: 13px; font-family: Verdana; line-height: normal; ">BBC History Magazine<br style="font-size: 10pt; ">UK best-selling history magazine covering all periods from pre-history to the present. Also features book reviews and guides to historic properties that can be visited around the UK.

<p style="font-size: 13px; font-family: Verdana; line-height: normal; ">British History<br style="font-size: 10pt; ">Comprehensive British history survey, including historical documents, the monarchy, the Celtic world and the arts.

<p style="font-size: 13px; font-family: Verdana; line-height: normal; ">Civil War News<br style="font-size: 10pt; ">Includes coming events, book reviews, letters, researcher's needs, reenactment photos, and more.

<p style="font-size: 13px; font-family: Verdana; line-height: normal; ">Common-place<br style="font-size: 10pt; ">Articles and book reviews on early US history.

<p style="font-size: 13px; font-family: Verdana; line-height: normal; ">Concord Review<br style="font-size: 10pt; ">Exemplary essays by high school students of history from thirty-three countries.

<p style="font-size: 13px; font-family: Verdana; line-height: normal; ">History and Theory<br style="font-size: 10pt; ">Abstracts from the international journal devoted to the theory and philosophy of history.

<p style="font-size: 13px; font-family: Verdana; line-height: normal; ">History News Network<br style="font-size: 10pt; ">Read news articles that relate history to the present and catch up with historians' views of current events. Includes articles from the left and right.

<p style="font-size: 13px; font-family: Verdana; line-height: normal; ">History Place<br style="font-size: 10pt; ">Magazine covering various topics of American and world's history. Features photos and highlights of historic events.

<p style="font-size: 13px; font-family: Verdana; line-height: normal; ">History Today<br style="font-size: 10pt; ">Premier history magazine covering wide range of issues.

<p style="font-size: 13px; font-family: Verdana; line-height: normal; ">Left History<br style="font-size: 10pt; ">Features articles from a variety of theoretical approaches including feminist, marxist and postmodernist on topics such as race, ethnicity, class, culture, the state.

<p style="font-size: 13px; font-family: Verdana; line-height: normal; ">Old News<br style="font-size: 10pt; ">Tells the stories of the people and events that have changed the world, from 400 B.C. to the early 20th century.

<p style="font-size: 13px; font-family: Verdana; line-height: normal; ">Race and History<br style="font-size: 10pt; ">Collection of resources for exploring ancient people of the world. Particular focus on the African diaspora.

<p style="font-size: 13px; font-family: Verdana; line-height: normal; ">Random History<br style="font-size: 10pt; ">Features little-known history about a variety of different topics with collection of brief histories and word origins.

<p style="font-size: 13px; font-family: Verdana; line-height: normal; ">Smithsonian Magazine<br style="font-size: 10pt; ">Widely respected magazine discussing nature, history, science and the arts.

<p style="font-size: 13px; font-family: Verdana; line-height: normal; ">TheHistoryNet.com<br style="font-size: 10pt; ">Online presentation of many history magazines covering wide range of historical issues.

hazel View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote hazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2012 at 08:17
Thank you. I'll take another look at American Heritage on my next trip to B&N. I do get History Today and it is "the greatest". Despite being British (or, maybe because?) it does do American stories which I enjoy. I just wanted to find a similar one done in America. Nothing wrong with being patriotic, is there? :-)
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2012 at 08:22
Originally posted by hazel

Thank you. I'll take another look at American Heritage on my next trip to B&N. I do get History Today and it is "the greatest". Despite being British (or, maybe because?) it does do American stories which I enjoy. I just wanted to find a similar one done in America. Nothing wrong with being patriotic, is there? :-)
Go for it, Hazel, there's nothing wrong with being patriotic, as long as it doesn't end in fanaticism. Smile 
hazel View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote hazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2012 at 08:31

Go for it, Hazel, there's nothing wrong with being patriotic, as long as it doesn't end in fanaticism. Smile 

Oh, I agree there. No emotional, shouting, "holier than thou", flag-waving fanatacism. What started this? I sit here looking at my magazines and am amazed at how many of them come from Britain. Now, I like my British cousins very much and I am proud of what they produce but I keep asking how this happens. Surely we do as well. But, I go through the racks and I don't find anything similar. Who knows where the fault lies? Not I. I just keep hoping.

Edited by hazel - 10-Mar-2012 at 08:41
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2012 at 08:40

Oh, I agree there. No emotional,shouting, "holier than thour", flag-waving fanatacism. What started this? I sit here looking at my magazines and am amazed at how many of them come from Britain. Now, I like my British cousins very much and I am proud of what they produce but I keep asking how this happens. Surely we do as well. But, I go through the racks and I don't find anything similar. Who knows where the fault lies? Not I. I just keep hoping.
It has been noted that we in Britain live somewhat in the past in some regards, and I guess those who might have run an empire have such tendencies. Only the other day the question was asked in regards to the large number of historical dramas. I don't think there's too much wrong in dipping a toe in such tendencies, as long as you don't plunge both feet in at the expense of looking to the present and the future.Smile   
hazel View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote hazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2012 at 08:49

Oh, I agree there. No emotional,shouting, "holier than thour", flag-waving fanatacism. What started this? I sit here looking at my magazines and am amazed at how many of them come from Britain. Now, I like my British cousins very much and I am proud of what they produce but I keep asking how this happens. Surely we do as well. But, I go through the racks and I don't find anything similar. Who knows where the fault lies? Not I. I just keep hoping.
It has been noted that we in Britain live somewhat in the past in some regards, and I guess those who might have run an empire have such tendencies. Only the other day the question was asked in regards to the large number of historical dramas. I don't think there's too much wrong in dipping a toe in such tendencies, as long as you don't plunge both feet in at the expense of looking to the present and the future.Smile   

I'll get scolded now for going off-topic but, if you like to read, there is a ponderous book out called "Postwar" by Tony Judt. It is the story of Europe after WW II, how the many nations coped and/or didn't cope. There is a section in it telling how BBC worked to help restore pride in British culture when everything seemed to be going down the tube. We sometimes get a taste of what BBC provides on NPR radio but not enough, I fear. Anyway, please don't lose that. It's what make Britain special.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2012 at 08:56

I'll get scolded now for going off-topic but, if you like to read, there is a ponderous book out called "Postwar" by Tony Judt. It is the story of Europe after WW II, how the many nations coped and/or didn't cope. There is a section in it telling how BBC worked to help restore pride in British culture when everything seemed to be going down the tube. We sometimes get a taste of what BBC provides on NPR radio but not enough, I fear. Anyway, please don't lose that. It's what make Britain special.
It's sounds like a very interesting book which many could benefit from reading, and as for the rest I'm sure we'll try our best.Smile
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2012 at 19:33
Do you have any kids Hazel? A good way of getting them interested in history is getting them to join the Young Archaeologists' Club. I've still got my badge somewhere but never met Tony RobinsonUnhappy
http://www.yac-uk.org/
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
hazel View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote hazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2012 at 06:02
I'll have to admit to a bit of ignorance there. Who is Tony Robinson? Perhaps someone connected with Young Archaeologists Club, of which I also know nothing.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2012 at 06:23

I'll have to admit to a bit of ignorance there. Who is Tony Robinson? Perhaps someone connected with Young Archaeologists Club, of which I also know nothing.
Hello again, hazel, Tony Robinson, is an actor and comedian, but also important in this case as presenter of a very popular archaeological show in Britain called Time Team.Smile
hazel View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote hazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2012 at 06:35

Hello again, hazel, Tony Robinson, is an actor and comedian, but also important in this case as presenter of a very popular archaeological show in Britain called Time Team.Smile

Ah, thank you. I am afraid we do not get the British shows.   Well, first, I do not shelter a television set in my home but that's neither here nor there. We do not generally hear from BBC. They tell me it has something to do with copyrights. This is something I really do not understand because many friends in Britain tell me they watch our shows. How that works is beyond me.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2012 at 06:53

Ah, thank you. I am afraid we do not get the British shows.   Well, first, I do not shelter a television set in my home but that's neither here nor there. We do not generally hear from BBC. They tell me it has something to do with copyrights. This is something I really do not understand because many friends in Britain tell me they watch our shows. How that works is beyond me.
Oh that's a real shame about not being able in your area. I know that there are British shows showing in America, but I'm ignorant of the intricacies of American television so I can't comment further, and would have to hope someone more enlightened would be able to shed more light on the situation. However as you do not shelter a television then maybe such information might be immaterial.Smile 

hazel View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote hazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2012 at 07:01
I was never watching the idiot box much before they switched us to digital - meaning forcing us to buy cable. I just didn't feel it was worth some $80 a month to watch the news when I can get it on radio, in newsletters, etc. There are some good programs on cable. However, friends who have it tell me they are quite repetitious. Do you get a lot of repetition of programs there?
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2012 at 07:21

I was never watching the idiot box much before they switched us to digital - meaning forcing us to buy cable. I just didn't feel it was worth some $80 a month to watch the news when I can get it on radio, in newsletters, etc. There are some good programs on cable. However, friends who have it tell me they are quite repetitious. Do you get a lot of repetition of programs there?
I doubt there are many places where repartition doesn't occur, especially these days due to economic circumstances. There are times when such repartition comes in handy, but I must admit there are times when it can be a pain. What I do is pick and choose and leave the rest to those who are interested. Alternatively many good shows can be viewed through on-line services for those who want to catch up on shows already shown, so I guess in that way it isn't that necessaries to have a television set to watch them.Smile   
hazel View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote hazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2012 at 07:26
Some day computers and television will be totally combined. They are working on it. I can get BBC radio on the computer - IF I can remember to add six hours. :-)
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2012 at 07:43

Some day computers and television will be totally combined. They are working on it. I can get BBC radio on the computer - IF I can remember to add six hours. :-)
I think that time can't come quick enough. Not that it will make me watch more shows unless the standard of shows improves considerably. I do tend to listen to the odd radio station on-line.Smile 
hazel View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote hazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2012 at 07:59

I think that time can't come quick enough. Not that it will make me watch more shows unless the standard of shows improves considerably. I do tend to listen to the odd radio station on-line.Smile 

Standards improve??????????????
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>