Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Civil War beards

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Civil War beards
    Posted: 29-Feb-2012 at 19:17

The Victorian era was a very "hairy" period where large muttonchop sideburns and thick beards were fashionable. The US military was no exception, as officers like Grant, Burnside, Jackson, Stuart and Lee demonstrate. Which Civil War general deserves the award for the most impressive beard?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Feb-2012 at 19:33
The Union General Lew Wallace had an interesting beard - only on the bottom part of his face, I'd nominate this as the most unusual one
File:Lew Wallace - Brady-Handy.jpg

The Confederate "Jeb" Stuart had a triangular one, it almost doesn't look real, so I'll say this one is the most "chick" beard

"Stonewall" Jackson looks like he simply wanted to avoid shaving, so I'll nominate him for 'most unkempt beard' - the guy simply had another more important stuff to do besides shaping his beard
http://americancivilwar.com/pictures/stonewall_jackson_2.jpeg

And I'd nominate the Union General John Schofield's beard as being the longest one.
http://booksfilmandmusic.com/graphics/wagner/post_schofield.jpg
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2012 at 19:03
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2012 at 19:06

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2012 at 19:06

John B Hood's beard might have a chance in the "most unkempt" category

Edited by Nick1986 - 03-Mar-2012 at 19:07
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2012 at 20:56
tjadams View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Suspended, go back to historum

Quote tjadams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2012 at 22:40
Confederate General Joseph E. Johnston
Confederate Lt. General A. P. Hill

Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2012 at 22:47
Originally posted by tjadams

Confederate General Joseph E. Johnston

I hope I don't sound too disrespectful, but to my eye General Joseph E. Johnston looks like some apprentice barber tried to shave his facial hair and failed most miserably. There is a Bulgarian expression that translates roughly like "half-plucked chicken" that would fit, IMHO, this type of beard.

Edited by Don Quixote - 04-Mar-2012 at 22:50
tjadams View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote tjadams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2012 at 22:49
Confederate General P. T. Beauregard ( dig that soul patch)
Lt. General James Longstreet
tjadams View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote tjadams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2012 at 22:56

Confederate Major General John B. Gordon
Confederate Brigadier General Dudley M. DuBose

tjadams View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote tjadams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2012 at 23:10

I hope I don't sound too disrespectful, but to my eye General Joseph E. Johnston looks like some apprentice barber tried to shave his facial hair and failed most miserably. There is a Bulgarian expression that translates roughly like "half-plucked chicken" that would fit, IMHO, this type of beard.

None taken.Embarrassed

Edited by tjadams - 04-Mar-2012 at 23:10
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2012 at 19:15

Absalom Baird
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2012 at 19:34

Alpheus Williams
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2012 at 21:57
Mine at one time looked like Sherman's....but now is a better groomed version of Gordon's.
In the summer you can still see the golden red bronze-ish....sprinkled with white.

Btw. I have earned every one of them gawdamn white hairs.

None ...like freedom were...free.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2012 at 22:14
There is a Bulgarian saying "Every white hair is one lived through pleasure"; but honestly I like better my version of it "Every white hair is one hard-earned victory". In any case, that's something to be proud with. I have to admit that I'm getting more white hairs than one would expect, but one cannot do anything against genetics - my father and grandmother had completely white hair before they hit 50.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2012 at 19:14
Originally posted by Don Quixote

There is a Bulgarian saying "Every white hair is one lived through pleasure"; but honestly I like better my version of it "Every white hair is one hard-earned victory". In any case, that's something to be proud with. I have to admit that I'm getting more white hairs than one would expect, but one cannot do anything against genetics - my father and grandmother had completely white hair before they hit 50.

That would definitely be true for abolitionists like Frederick Douglass or John Brown who spent their whole life fighting slavery
tjadams View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote tjadams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2012 at 00:26
Originally posted by Don Quixote

Yes, but gray hair doesn't make a person automatically smart. Big smile
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2012 at 00:49
Of course not, but it's a good comeback to say  when one is running after young girls that can be his daughters/granddaughters, and they tell him "Where are you going with this white hairs, aren't you too old for me?". You would be surprised what men would come up with as a hitting lineLOL
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2012 at 20:10

Is there a link between the thickness of a Civil War general's beard and his skill in battle? Take U.S. Grant, for example, and compare him to McClellan
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2012 at 20:52
http://www.sonofthesouth.net/union-generals/mcclellan/pictures/george-b-mcclellan-300.jpg
Is this the right CcClellan you are talking about? All the pictures I found of him show him only with mustachios.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>