Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Samurai Police

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Samurai Police
    Posted: 03-Feb-2012 at 20:12

To answer Alani's question on who used weapons like the Jutte or Hachiwara: these were the official implements of the samurai police tasked with maintaining order in the shogun's domain. Swords were forbidden in the warlord's palace, so guards typically carried blunt iron bars designed to trap and shatter concealed daggers
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2012 at 20:21
That's an incredible weapon, Nick, and I can well understand why the little hook being there to stop the blades.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
okamido View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended, tit for tat

Quote okamido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2012 at 21:01
The officer's were called, doshin, and this jutte is more representative of what they carried.

File:Jutte 1.JPG
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2012 at 19:01
Thanks Okamido. Did this weapon influence the development of the later sai, basically a larger version of the jutte with two hooks?
Tiger of Kai View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Tiger of Kai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2012 at 16:31
Originally posted by Nick1986

Thanks Okamido. Did this weapon influence the development of the later sai, basically a larger version of the jutte with two hooks?

It's believed that the sai was introduced to Japan through Okinawa by way of China. It supposedly has the exact same design as the Chinese chai.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2012 at 19:10

It also looks very similar to the jitte
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2012 at 19:15
The Samurai Police were vital for keeping order in an unstable feudal country. The presence of wandering ronin (masterless samurai) required highly trained lawmen
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2012 at 19:11
After the Meiji Restoration Samurai police remained in the emperor's service, tasked with arresting Samurai who refused to relinquish their privileges. Although many of the Shinsengumi were assassinated or killed in battle, there was no shortage of eager recruits. 
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2012 at 19:29

Here's a reconstruction of Samurai police uniforms. They chose deliberately bright colors so they would be recognised in battle and strike terror into the hearts of their enemies
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2012 at 19:10

More weapons of the Samurai Police. The spiky one is designed to tangle in a suspect's clothes so he could be brought in alive. The police would restrain his neck with the forked sticks so he couldn't get close and attack them
Samurai Antique World
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2012 at 19:20
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2012 at 19:45
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2012 at 19:24
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2012 at 19:24
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2012 at 19:36

Some other samurai police weapons. The one on the left is used like a shepherd's crook to safely move a prisoner
okamido View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended, tit for tat

Quote okamido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2012 at 00:24

More weapons of the Samurai Police. The spiky one is designed to tangle in a suspect's clothes so he could be brought in alive. The police would restrain his neck with the forked sticks so he couldn't get close and attack them
Samurai Antique World
That's a good collection. Here are a couple of more variations as well:

As to the sai, I would have to research it, but ToK has never let me down before. ;)
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2012 at 19:30
What sort of ranged weapons would the samurai police have used? That looks like some sort of bow on top of the cabinet
Hoichi View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Hoichi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2013 at 02:02

Here's a reconstruction of Samurai police uniforms. They chose deliberately bright colors so they would be recognised in battle and strike terror into the hearts of their enemies

Actually that is only really true of the Shinsengumi (who are the ones pictured above); they were a sort of ''counter-terrorist'' squad that was created to fight imperialist rebels against the Tokugawa bakufu. They really only appeared late in the Edo Era, just before the Meiji Restoration. Most police officers (doshin) and patrolmen (okappiki) wore more subdued colours:

Post Reply Post Reply