Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gunblades

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gunblades
    Posted: 17-Jun-2012 at 23:56
18th Century English Flintlock Pistol Dagger

What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2012 at 19:03

Wheel-lock sword pistol from Malta
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2012 at 19:40

Indian Combination Katar/Flintlock Pistol

What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2012 at 19:20

Elgin cutlass pistol issued to the USN before the Civil War
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2012 at 23:53
Originally posted by Nick1986

Elgin cutlass pistol issued to the USN before the Civil War
Those babies look like they've seen some action, don't they? Yes, the Elgin cutlass was commissioned in 1838, and is said to have been the only combination weapon of its sort to have been so commissioned officially by the military, anywhere in the world. Only a hundred and fifty of them were made. 
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2012 at 00:12
This beauty is from the weapons national museum in Delhi. If you look closely you will notice it has two barrels. 
Picture: Weapons-National-Museum-Delhi-1.jpg
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2012 at 19:46

Snaphance rapier pistol
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2012 at 22:55

German Ivory and Pearl-Inlaid Combination Flintlock/Dagger/Gun /Axe, c. 1750

Rare and Unique German Ivory and Pearl-Inlaid Combination Flintlock/Dagger/Gun /Axe, c. 1750

Click to enlarge.
Click to enlarge.
Click to enlarge.
Click to enlarge.
Click to enlarge.
Click to enlarge.
Click to enlarge.
Click to enlarge.
Click to enlarge.

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2012 at 19:07
Do you know anything about this axe-pistol Alani? The extravagent decoration reminds me of the gunstocks of German wood-carver Konrad Tournier
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2012 at 00:41

The extravagent decoration reminds me of the gunstocks of German wood-carver Konrad Tournier
I agree, although I think his work to be a little more intricate.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2012 at 17:03
Russian combination hunting sword and flintlock pistol. Circa 1735
undefined

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 25-Jun-2012 at 17:29
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2012 at 19:33
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

The extravagent decoration reminds me of the gunstocks of German wood-carver Konrad Tournier
I agree, although I think his work to be a little more intricate.

Perhaps the maker of this gun was an apprentice of Tornier, or a rival gunsmith trying to copy his work?
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2012 at 20:20

Perhaps the maker of this gun was an apprentice of Tornier, or a rival gunsmith trying to copy his work?
I think I saw one piece by Tornier about one hundred and thirty years previous. Now unless I'm wrong on the date then potentially it could be an apprentice somewhere down the line, or even maybe a rival of theirs at that time. Still it would be interesting to find out who it was made by. 
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2012 at 19:23
Sounds about right. Tornier was active in the 1600s, so unless the gunstock was a reworked earlier piece, it was probably made by a gunsmith imitating the masterpieces of the older generation (possibly for the eastern market where the plain French gunstocks had not yet come into fashion)
http://www.scribd.com/doc/74612179/On-Rubens-Drawings
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2012 at 19:51

Modern knife pistol
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2012 at 09:51
Mallorean Arms BladeGun
The BladeGun is a semi-automatic heavy pistol with a large crescent shaped knife-blade attached in front of the trigger guard and grip. Also called the Samurai handgun, it incorporates styling found on the grips of katanas and Japanese kanji down the side of the slide and blade.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2012 at 19:26

Victorian whip pistol
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2012 at 20:51
Does that really qualify as a blade, Nick?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2012 at 19:11
Not too sure as we've got photos of mace and warhammer pistols in this thread. What do you think Alani?
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2012 at 20:52

Not too sure as we've got photos of mace and warhammer pistols in this thread. What do you think Alani?
In that case, Nick, it would be a little bit churlish of us to not allow other combination weaponry.Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>