Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

' Heavenly manna ' = sprouted grain? Help me - I w

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
vasnas View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote vasnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ' Heavenly manna ' = sprouted grain? Help me - I w
    Posted: 25-Jan-2012 at 08:55

I did use King James Version

ex12:37 And the children of Israel journeyed from Rameses to Succoth, about six hundred thousand on foot that were men, beside children.

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2012 at 14:34
SuKoTH=From Hunger Table,dreams arrow!They stopped cause of hunger as it looks!It looks that they had
dreamed death of arrow&spear more than death of hunger.Was it possible that part of people of Moses had turned back right in pharaoh arms&spears&arrows?Do not take it serious Vasnas but if phonetic is right,it is
right meaning!
vasnas View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote vasnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2012 at 14:39
At Sukkoth they were in 1 day... to few time for hunger
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2012 at 14:58
But enough for story teller cause of narration in whole description.Should they come back?It had sounded this way for reader&listener of the story.This part could have been invented also and we would never know real happenings there!Whole Exodus had been built upon hypothesis&compilation of stories from different time periods.Pharaoh name could have not been predicted by us for sure also.My personal opinion is that Exodus was imported inside Bible to cut Jew's roots with Egyptian civilization inside which they really were.Stories inside the Bible had been written by Romans,former body of Egyptian civilization could be destroyed in smallest possible fractals and made them to hate&fight one another.It is my opinion about it.

vasnas View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote vasnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2012 at 15:12
I haven't got any opinion, I just juxtapose annals texts ... and produce concentrate
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2012 at 15:32
I have read this part so many times but first time i have read it this way!Maybe those are "riddles", had hidden inside this game with words(or bad translation of texts?).It has been hidden inside  names of places&events!

Edited by medenaywe - 25-Jan-2012 at 15:37
vasnas View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote vasnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2012 at 15:35
all are plain ! 
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2012 at 19:25
In all fairness, it is a very lengthy article. Could you not paste the relevant paragraph explaining why manna was not produced by insects?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
vasnas View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote vasnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2012 at 23:19
give me a link to this version... I did not find this before
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2012 at 19:58
I've found something even more interesting: Manna might have been some sort of psychadelic substance
Mystery of Manna
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2012 at 19:20
Originally posted by vasnas

Here's the requested link. It is believed manna was the sugary secretions from insects like aphids or cicadas. The rising sun evaporated the liquid, leaving a frost-like covering on the ground
Studies in ancient technology
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2012 at 19:42
Originally posted by Nick1986

Originally posted by vasnas

Here's the requested link. It is believed manna was the sugary secretions from insects like aphids or cicadas. The rising sun evaporated the liquid, leaving a frost-like covering on the ground
Studies in ancient technology
What I found was slightly different, but almost the same, Nick.

There are two common skeptical theories regarding the nature of this “manna.” Some identify the “manna” as either a “secretion” from the tamarisk tree. Others believe it was the result of the “excretions” from two species of insects in the Sinai region, that are deposited on the tree

What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
vasnas View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote vasnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2012 at 00:28

I was working on that last evening :-)

take a look in updated article

http://www.bible-exodus.narod2.ru/articles/manna/manna_english.html#manna_resin

vasnas View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote vasnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2012 at 00:29
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2012 at 02:27
PaMaNNa =From Heaven Support Mother's,offers!It could be nothing and everything as you can see in article.For me,spiritual support is first one,cause of influence on future believers:Trust The God cause He feeds his believers!
P.S.
Heavenly support Mother's,offers!PaMaNNa!

Edited by medenaywe - 09-Feb-2012 at 05:05
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2012 at 21:10
If manna was just wheat growing in the desert, why were the Israelites starving? It doesn't make sense
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2012 at 23:37
 AFAIK, manna is the juice/resin of the bush Tamarix Gallica /Tamarix mannifera/when pricked by an insect, /Coccus manniparus/, and it's still collected by women in the Sinai, in the morning, before the ants eat it, it's almost pure sugar. In Arabic it's called "mann es-samma"="heavenly manna".
"...Bedouns can collect 4 pounds per head, in the morning that they knead into puree; it keeps indefinitely and it's sweet and nutritious..." http://books.google.com/books?id=eD6IVllMx_YC&pg=PA383&lpg=PA383&dq=mann+es-sama+still+collected+now&source=bl&ots=BIKzK0Angi&sig=OKdRLzKrzArZn_oa2AbPmnajecY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=TD-KT4vhLuWniQKy89zZCw&ved=0CE0Q6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=mann%20es-sama%20still%20collected%20now&f=false

The reference in the bible that it putrefied and bred worms if left overnight was reference to the the ants and insects coming and eating it. And the amount that can be collected is not 'scanty' as the article says, 4 pound a person is quite an amount.

The main objection against the wheat idea is that whatever manna was, it was supposed to be collected in the wild, not grown, sprouted, and etc - this is not a ground for miracle /unexplained event/ but a result of conscious human effort. The Bible didn't say they were carrying the manna with them, and making it themselves - they collected some naturally found food resource, not wheat they had to grow and sprout themselves. So, it doesn't fit at all, IMHO.

Edited by Don Quixote - 14-Apr-2012 at 23:50
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2012 at 19:15
What if manna was a type of lichen? In Scandinavia it is used as fodder for livestock
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2012 at 19:24
It depends if there are such lichens in Sinai. I root for the tamarisk juice because it's still there and used in pretty much the same way as I suppose it was in Biblical times - I have a lost of respect for customs that can be followed to contemporary times.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2012 at 19:17
Lichen definitely grew in the Sinai desert. The Bedouin use it to feed their goats:
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=-f-ZKA5ZYfsC&lpg=PA258&ots=lVSRXoRvjv&dq=sinai%20lichen&pg=PA258#v=onepage&q&f=false
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>